Author Topic: So... The Brave and the Bold?  (Read 16010 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: So... The Brave and the Bold?
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 12:13:57 AM »
Batman Brave and The Bold is not for children.  It is for an older audience that remembers a very classic traditional Batman from the 60s and 70s. 

It plays on a unique style and is brilliant.  Yes it is playful and at times absurd, but it is fun.  We have had years and years of dark animated Batman, lets explore another side of the character and see something different.

I love the Red Tornado Christmas episode.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 12:06:44 PM »
I like Adam West's Batman, but The Brave and the Bold didn't grab me.  I think the impression that it's just for kids comes from the first episode, and I wouldn't blame anyone for not giving it a chance after that.  The tired, predictable, recycled plot did not make a good first impression.  I gave it another chance and watched a few more episodes, including the excellent Aquaman one, but in the end I didn't feel like it was worth my time.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »
Batman Brave and The Bold is not for children.  It is for an older audience that remembers a very classic traditional Batman from the 60s and 70s. 

It plays on a unique style and is brilliant.  Yes it is playful and at times absurd, but it is fun.  We have had years and years of dark animated Batman, lets explore another side of the character and see something different.

Batman was never meant to be goofy, this just reminds me to much of Super Friends and I can't stand that garbage.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »

Batman was never meant to be goofy, this just reminds me to much of Super Friends and I can't stand that garbage.

Depends Batman has been both dark and tongue in cheek through his comic book career. The current incarnations of Batman or more based off the presentation of him in the Dark Knight comics. Like any superhero they go through different ages where the character is presented differently, it is silly and closed minded to say they weren't "meant" to be any particular style especially when a character like Batman went through a less serious period. If you consider the original interpretation of Batman as what he was "meant" to be, then you better give him an oozy so he can mow down any criminal that gets in his way because the original batman had no remorse when it came to killing or using guns.

Superheroes change and evolve, you may not like various generational incarnations, but to say it wasn't meant to be is kind of contradictory considering many of the interpretations were are familiar with now in regards to Superheroes only recently were established.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:21:31 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
I concede your point Golden Phoenix, I'm just used to him being such a way for all my life. Just like I hate with a passion Gene Hackman's Lex Luther. In olden days he was a mad scientist with goons. Now Lex Luthor is a corrupt evil man who has ran and won the Presidency, and hates Superman with a passion where before. Smallvilles Lex is so damn perfect vision of modern Lex that watching the 70's Superman movies is hard because of the older version of lex.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 09:45:39 PM »
I think the reason Mr. Vega sees Batman as just a dark character is because of the darkening period the comic book industry went through back in the late 80s. Ironically, it was Batman who kick started this trend. They realized that they were making a lot of money with the older fans and their appreciation for the darker works, but left a lot of younger readers behind. Since then the industry has been struggling to find new readers outside their core consumers.

I personally enjoy both Batman the funny hero and Batman the dark hero. With the dark hero I get a lot of well written drama, character development and I see Batman as the human being rather than the super hero. With goofy Batman you have a lot of fun, meet a lot of weird characters and go on great adventures.

It might be hard to enjoy and appreciate two versions of the same characters but it is possible.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 09:51:52 PM »
Oh and Mr. Vega, your first post wasn't needed. You could have just said "I prefer the older shows", but you instead insisted on being obnoxious about it.

Next time, if you want to criticize a show or game, there's no need to make a spectacle about it. Just say "I'm not a fan, here's why" and keep it civil.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
We can and should have room for both.  If the Brave and the Bold Batman was the only representation of Batman we had I would be sad.  At the same time if The Dark Knight Batman is the only representation of Batman we had I would be sad.

I personally love Lex Luthor as both the businessman that is kinda corrupt but at the same time revered by man because of his success, which makes him hard for Superman to take down.  But I also love the Mad Scientist Lex Luthor which is a genius that will do whatever he can to take down Superman.  But the merging of those 2 personalities makes the best Lex Luthor of all.

Which gets to my point...a merging of serious Batman and lighthearted Batman is a great direction.  I don't like the portrayal of Batman as always having deeply rooted psychological that drives him to be Batman and Bruce Wayne is just an empty shell.  I like the Batman that has thought this out and is more balanced than that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »
For the record, I think Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (Unedited version) is the best Batman movie ever.

But, as others have said, there is room for both the dark and crazy Batman and the fun and lighthearted Batman.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Uncle Bob

• Bob-to-go
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »
I think what too many people are missing is that, although the series is a more light hearted take on The Bat, Batman, for the most part, still plays the straightman in the show.  Aside from his batter with Green Arrow, Batman is usually composed and always evaluating the situation.  SO he's not dark, gritty and doesn't talk like two cheese graiters being rubbed together. He's still the World's Greatest Detective because he knows when to let the SuperHero shine and he knows when he needs to step up to the plate.

And anyone who doesn't think lightheartedness works with Batman needs to go back and watch TAS episodes with Harly.  Oh, who created her?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
Harley was created for TAS by Dini and Timm.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »
Here's something funny.

Mr. Vega claimed the show was aimed at kids because of the sometimes silly stories and less serious character development. He clearly prefers the darker take on Batman.

What I find funny is that Batman's vision has been discussed in the series. In both the Bruce Timm TV series and the anime movie "Gotham Knight" there is one episode in which a group of kids discuss Batman and explain to each other how they view Batman. One kid sees him as 60s's Batman, complete with the humor and the color of the era. In the Anime movie one kid sees him as a bat monster, complete with red eyes and superhuman abilities.

I think these stories are saying that Batman is a legend, one that has taken many forms throughout the years. This can be applied to our world and how DC and its artists have envisioned Batman throughout the years. Its why despite him having multiple personas and identities he's still a beloved and respected hero because in the end, he still catches the bad guys and comes out on top; whether he is being campy or absolutely serious.

Going back to "Brave and the Bold" being for babies just be thankful DC has yet to do this...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 01:00:17 AM »
I concede your point Golden Phoenix, I'm just used to him being such a way for all my life. Just like I hate with a passion Gene Hackman's Lex Luther. In olden days he was a mad scientist with goons. Now Lex Luthor is a corrupt evil man who has ran and won the Presidency, and hates Superman with a passion where before. Smallvilles Lex is so damn perfect vision of modern Lex that watching the 70's Superman movies is hard because of the older version of lex.

i loved Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor, but i can see a different version of Lex that could be better.

and Psp64 said it best Batman is a legend

he is the greatest American icon, although i have to say Superman is just insanely hard to do..and he would be if done right...

I loved superman as a kid, and watching that DarkSeid clip gave me some ideas..what I really love nowadays is Superman's Alex Ross paintings

http://www.alexrossart.com/artforsale.asp?sc=ARSU2&page=2

which seems like a composite of
Christoper Reeve and George Reeves
and supermans original appearence

http://www.nirvanaclub.com/news/reeve.jpg top of head
http://www.twinsoulsmerging.com/images/superman.jpg  bottom of head
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:01:55 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 04:32:17 AM »
Besides Rousembaum I think Clancy Brown was a great Lex Luthor (well he did the voice!).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »
Maybe it's because the last two episodes were just so damn frickin' awesome, but tonight's episode just didn't do much for me.  I liked the inclusion of Adam Strange, but the solution to the episode kinda fell flat on me.  I know I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief and all, but come on! Taking the Earth's Moon and zipping it across the universe?  Wouldn't that cause some major issues with the oceans and the tides and crap?  Why not take one of Jupiter's?  It's got like 63 or some ****...  and two of them are bigger than planets!!!  No water or life to worry about or anything...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »
I completely missed the Joker episode. :(
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 11:55:25 PM »
The Green Lantern and Joker episodes were great. In the Joker episode I liked how Batman tricked the Joker and all of those different Batmen came from different dimensions.

Batman and his small team of the Green lanterns were great.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 04:35:12 AM »
i checked out a clip from youtube, looks like a show thats more funny than anything. Something like Darkwing duck with DC characters

I noticed the voice was different than Kevin Conroy and was good, than Ilooked it up and the voice of batman is Deidrich Bader. Nowi  can just imagine batman saying "Fuckin' A"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-uKlHuC6s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmUsVeKp1o
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:02:44 AM by ThePerm »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 12:26:43 AM »
Mega bump...

Anyone still watching this with me?  Season 1 Part 2 came out on DVD last week.  Picked it up and I'm finally watching back through Part 1 and plan to go into 2...

The Superman/Batman team up episode is supposed to air this week, with the Scooby-Doo team up on April 1st...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »
im just hoping they don't cancel Outsourced. I like it Deidrich Bader is employed.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 01:02:18 AM »
Aquaman is my hero.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 01:48:47 AM »
haha... Aquaman has a tiny penis.  I wonder if this episode will ever air in the US - I'd love to see it. :D

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »
"Was the singing really necessary?"

Such a great episode of TB&TB. :D
And yet, it's the epitome of why some people just really hate the series.  How weird. :D

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
I gotta start watching this again. Apparently all the good episodes come out when I'm not watching it. >_>
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
Tonight's episode was... okay.  Not a fan of TB&TB version of Superman.  With Batman, they've taken the right mix of retro and modern to make him an interesting character.  Superman was far too retro to be very interesting.  With that said, there were lots of little bits in it that made me chuckle.