Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 8648 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Dead Space
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:29 PM »
Is there really no Dead Space topic yet?

Hmm.  Well I just finished off the first chapter in one sitting this evening.  Overall, the controls were confusing me at first, but I got used to it.

So far it's super linear, but I kind of like that.  You push a button and it draws a line on the floor of where you have to go for your mission.  It kind of fits with the futuristic vibe.

It's different from RE4... it kind of eases you in a little better, at least so far.  No more than 2 things coming at you at once really.  I also like that.

No HUD is super cool.  I thought it would come off as more gimmicky than anything... but the health on the spine and still feeling like you are "in" the world when checking your map and inventory is very cool.  I also love the communication stuff that comes up with the faces of the people that are talking to you.

Overall, I'm liking the production values a lot and I'm gonna keep playing.  Anyone else pick it up?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Space
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
I was considering it, but decided against it because I still have Resident Evil 4 to finish off at some point.  There's only so many survival horror games I can have going on at one time.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:19:20 PM »
I picked it up for the 360. I will give it a small playthrough tomorrow just to check it out, as I'm still playing Forza Motorsport 2 as my main 360 game to finish at the moment.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
I may pick up the PC version but with so many games coming out not sure if I will anytime soon.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
I'm considering renting this or Drakes Fortune on Friday.  I'm leaning toward Drakes b/c I actually want to see what happened to the chick in the plane.  But who knows, those graphics in Dead Space are very impressive so I could still be swayed.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline user0x7D

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »
They had a half hour commercial... I mean "special" for it on SciFi and it looks like RE4 in space. I have a friend who was dead set on getting it after just seeing commercials but after seeing the SciFi special he's not even sure if he's interested in it enough to pirate it. :p

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »
I was considering it, but decided against it because I still have Resident Evil 4 to finish off at some point.

Cripes.  You haven't even finished RE4 yet?  You need to stop buying games until you play the ones you purchased two years ago.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
I was considering it, but decided against it because I still have Resident Evil 4 to finish off at some point.

Cripes.  You haven't even finished RE4 yet?  You need to stop buying games until you play the ones you purchased two years ago.

Same here, hahaha.  Maybe I'll finish RE4 and No More Heroes this weekend instead.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »

Thanks Dad.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 03:21:08 PM »
And no cookies after 5PM.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »
I haven't finished Majora's Mask yet. No, I'm not going to stop buying new games. I did finish Call Of Duty 2 on the 360 last week. Now working on Resistance Fall of Man.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »
Oh crap, just remembered I still need to beat Mario Sunshine too.....uggggg

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
You are hereby banned from this generation.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
Maybe they'll "Wii Make" it and I can finish it then.  I just hate the controls.

But anyway, how bout that Dead Space??!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 07:18:58 PM »
Maybe they'll "Wii Make" it and I can finish it then.  I just hate the controls.

But anyway, how bout that Dead Space??!

Looks like from most impressions it is yet another shooter with a flash exterior but seemingly drags. I'll hopefully get it soon but right now I'm enjoying so many non-FPS games for the moment.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 07:28:29 PM »
Just finished chapter 2.  Zero g made me pukey. Vacuum environments are super cool.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »

I own well over a hundred games and I can count the number of them that I've beaten on two hands. Unbeaten games include REmake, RE4, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, All the SNES Mario games...

You get the idea.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »

I own well over a hundred games and I can count the number of them that I've beaten on two hands. Unbeaten games include REmake, RE4, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, All the SNES Mario games...

You get the idea.

I think Dirk and I actually have something in common. AMAZING

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 10:22:42 PM »
Wow, you mean other people buy new games before they've finished old ones?  AMAZING!  And here I was thinking I was the only one on these boards!
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
Well, it is a crime to have not finished Ocarina of Time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 12:39:44 AM »
Holy ****, you have not beaten some of the best games ever made. I've never played all the way through Majora's Mask (first time I ever played it was on the Wind Waker bonus disc), but all the others I've beaten.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »
Well, it is a crime to have not finished Ocarina of Time.

Lets just hope he's finished GTA 4 by now as that is that new "best game ever in the history of games being great and Oscar worthy"....

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Just think how many games I haven't beaten of the 831 games I own....

Too Many!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »

I own well over a hundred games and I can count the number of them that I haven't beaten on two hands. Unbeaten games include F-Zero GX (I can't beat story mode), Quest 64, Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt, Trauma Center, ... hmmm ... I think that might be it.  Guess I did it on one hand.  ;D

Note:  I'm not counting games I'm currently playing.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »

I own well over a hundred games and I can count the number of them that I haven't beaten on two hands. Unbeaten games include F-Zero GX (I can't beat story mode), Quest 64, Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt, Trauma Center, ... hmmm ... I think that might be it.  Guess I did it on one hand.  ;D

Note:  I'm not counting games I'm currently playing.

Behold....Our new leader!!