Author Topic: Returning a new game?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Returning a new game?
« on: April 05, 2003, 02:57:39 PM »
so  if you come home open a game up play it and it sucks. I mean  can not hold you to it for even 15 minutes  and even at that has no replay value then is it  even an option to pack it up and return it or once you break that case open are you royally screwed and stuck with a waste of cash?

There must be some catch to this? A return policy   of sorts that is standard to some degree from stor to store...?

Offline Gharakh

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 03:03:08 PM »
all the stores i've bought from won't accept game returns once they're opened, because people would abuse it severely. however if there is some actual problem with the game, i.e. it doesn't run, crashes, whatever then i'm sure you can return it. i doubt any place would let you return a used game for full price

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 03:23:04 PM »
I assume a return like that would  make you return it for the same game?

I have yet to call fry's up to see if they would accept it, I figured I would see if anyone had any luck here 1st.

ShouldI  call and say it's defective but I want another  title or  that  it works yet sucks real bad so I would like to exchange or just  chuck it up to 43 dollars wasted for 15 minutes.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 03:28:55 PM »
Nope. You're boned.
Unless you can find some sucker friend to sell it off too...
Did you accidentally buy some Titus or Acclaim crap? You should know better than that...

Offline DevilishDude

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 03:29:35 PM »
......what game was it?
:: My name Smeedle
:: Tingle, Tingle... Koolah Limpah! These are the magic words Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!

:: Homestar Runner Quote Of The Week:
:: Ow! My Stomach Lining

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 04:20:07 PM »
One Word: RECIPT (don't know if I spelled that right)... Always hang on to them. I got Jedi Outcast for christmas... played it for under 15 minutes and hated it. My lovely mother always keeps the recipts so I got it from her and we went to Best Buy and they took it without any questions (Even though there was a big sign on the wall that said no opened games would be accepted) So I guess I got really lucky... the cashier hardly looked at it, she just threw it in a bin. So it's worth trying... maybe you'll get real lucky like me.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 04:49:20 PM »
i think it all depends on the store
i know my eb near me has a great return policy- 2 weeks- returns or exchanges- no questions asked
i think gamestop and babbages does the same things
best buy usually will not allow you to return opened packages, but i think they let some things slide- as with circut city
i call the big one bitey.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 05:29:29 PM »
not sure on fry's policy but it's worth a shot, i'll call them tomorrow  i do still have the reciept or at least i did a few hours ago.  i better go dig for it now....

the game is monster Jam, by ubi soft, such potential  that is not  even 1/10th  anywhere met, the old 64 moster truck game was better and that aint saying much.

it's nice to know eb has such a return policy, makes trying a game you  are uncertain about that much safer...

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 06:00:26 PM »
just called fry's up and they consider cube games as software and they have a no exchange policy on software. i even   mentioned the cube software can not be duplicated and got no results. one person on the phone  saiod i should just come in and  bring the game in to show  it is all brand new and that  there is a small chance depending on the  supervisor in charge of that department they might do it but i sure hate to drive all the damn way there to just be told no.

i'll keep ya posted if i have any different results.

this bites...

Offline OsonCubed320

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 06:45:13 AM »
What you can do is go to Target and say this game really sucks (you would have had to buy it from Target of course) and they will let you exchange the game for a different game of the same price.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2003, 10:22:02 AM »
If you put your game on ebay, you can get *almost* all your money back.  That's what I usually do.  But, this only works if the game is in awesome condition... no scratches/no dust whatsoever.  

Also, stores are more lenient at Christmas time.  Just say, "It was a gift," and they'll give you store credit for almost anything.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2003, 12:45:41 PM »
well i am off in a few, i figure if nothing else at least in peson i can let them see the game is flawless and  not used  and if i luck out and someone decent or hurried deals with me i will be able to do an even swap.

i think i will make sure from now on to know the exchange policy of the store before buying an uncertain title like this.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2003, 01:59:29 PM »
EB's policy is 14 days.  If you open a game, and you don't like it, you can exchange it for something else.  If it's sealed you can get a full refund.  Receipt is required for open games, but for sealed games they will exchange it for store credit.

Gamestop's policy is 7 days open or sealed and you can get full refund (with receipt of course).  If no receipt, then store credit for sealed, not sure about open.

All other big chain stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc, i think you can only exchange if it's defective but once it's opened, there is no refund whatsoever.

Offline baberg

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2003, 03:15:52 PM »
EB Corporate has changed their policy.  Effective March of this year (as in, a month ago) there are no refunds on opened software.  You can exchange defective software for the same product, but you can't return it and get cash credit for another game.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2003, 04:48:20 PM »
I really like it when stores take back opened games.  I know that my Blockbuster has a very small selection of GameCube games, and aside from the first and second party games I already own, it's just crap that I wouldn't want to play.  So there's a lot of games that I have no chance to play unless I buy them, and that's what good about the 7-day/2-week policy.

For Christmas, I got a GBA and a Harry Potter game.  I didn't ask for or want either one, but I figured I'd keep them.  Harry Potter was honestly the WORST game I ever played in my life.  It was absolutely horrible.  But my parents bought the game and system at K-Mart, where there's a no return policy on software.  Long story short (too late), I exchanged the opened one for a new one, saying it was broken, and went to another K-Mart to return it for money.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
Returning a new game?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2003, 06:38:02 PM »
well I drove  on down to frys today after talking to them on the phone last night. The fellow who was  helping me after waiting over 30 minutes to  return the damn thing spoke like  he was a robot. I came  across as friendly as I could and  he stated  that no returns on any software and games are software, I tried telling him what was siad on the  phone and he  got even stiffer and just repeated himself,  his bad attitude rubbed off on me and  I  ended up grabbing the game from his hands  telling him where  he could shove it and left.  I  guess I should have not forgotten my own poicy on frys. Which is to never buy anything that might need a return. Their customer service is as rude and unhelpful as it has always been.
Damn guy could not even hold a friendly conversation. I split before I  did something stupid to him.

I called gamestop and they mentioned they have a 7 day policy and would  give me 15 bucks  for the game and also that they now have a buy two used get one free  sale going on.

So if ebay does not work then gamestop, 15 back is better then it never being played again  I guess and losing the whole 43, lesson learned.