Author Topic: Rock Band 2?  (Read 90490 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Rock Band 2?
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2EwHSWYTDt0x44OLEsF7nZIDHYwD91KC5180

Hahaha!!! So that's why Harmonix wanted to push the Wii version of the first game out so fast and without any effort. Did I say no effort? I meant technical limitations, because we all know that the Wii can't handle character creators, downloadble content, and online play. Must suck to have bought that.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: Rock Band 2?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »
Meh who cares how little effort they put into Rock Band for Wii? The game was excellent on other consoles, so even having it available on Wii is great for gamers who can't play it otherwise. Since Activision took over GH the series has lost its luster for me, so I couldn't care less about GH: World Tour. Rock Band will fill the full band void for gamers who feel the same.

I can't imagine being a gamer in the current market owning only the Wii. To experience the best of this generation gamers NEED to own another system.

Anyway, on Rock Band 2 I hope they figure a way to outdo GH World Tour. I still haven't gotten the first, but will whenever 2 manages to come out.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
My other system is called a PC; it has always, overall, had the best games anyway.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:08:46 PM »
My other system is called a PC; it has always, overall, had the best games anyway.

Well as long as you have something else, owning only the Wii is not enough for most gaming enthusiasts out there.

I personally can't keep up with the PC rat race. I'm not interested in always having the best rig and I never liked sitting in front of the computer to play games, I'd rather sit on my couch.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
RockBand 2 will be great. All the instruments and DLC (Xbox 360 and PS3) will work between both games, as in RockBand 2 DLC on RockBand 1, and visa-versa.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »
Rock Band won't have user created songs, that means GH:WT will most likely get my money. The new guitar sounds interesting too because you can slide up and down the neck.
 I actually always envisioned ways they could make the controlers a little more like a real guitar play-wise and a touch interface along the entire length of the neck was always somethign i thought would be perfect but figured it would be too expensive to do.

if you don't know what i'm talking about, think about the i-pods scroll wheel or the i-rivers scroll vertical pad. Imagine that smooth surface along the neck of a guitar and the classic GH button collors repeated up the neck to the bridge (replacing fret markers of real guitars). There'd be no more button, just the color mark that you can press in and feel a click or some other form of feedback to know you have that fret pressed, but the whole neck would still be one smooth surface. With that layout it would feel more like playing a real guitar, and although i don't know any details on what GH:WT's guitars can actually do, it sounds like they're taking one step closer to that.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
It looks like MS has a timed exclusive on this one, and then it'll come out on Wii, PS3 and PS2 sometime later according to that article.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »
even more reason to skip it and buy the next GH.

besides, the only advantage this would have over GH is if you were already a RB owner for ps360 because all your DLC would automatically transfer over to the new game. As a wii owner (doesn't matter if i have GH or RB currently) that advantage is gone, thus no reason to put it ahead of GH:WT (again, as a wii owner)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:29:05 PM »
I am probably going to skip GHIV barring any big differences. The music creation aspect of GHIV is pretty lame to me because you can't record vocals, I'm not interested in anything else!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:57:38 PM »
Well as long as you have something else, owning only the Wii is not enough for most gaming enthusiasts out there.

I personally can't keep up with the PC rat race. I'm not interested in always having the best rig and I never liked sitting in front of the computer to play games, I'd rather sit on my couch.

I don't think that I could get by on just any one console. Besides, the 360 is seems to be pretty full of badly ported PC games anyway. To be fair however, the Wii definitely has many more games that interest me than the PS3 probably ever will. I can't even think of any exclusives off the top of my head outside of Metal Gear Solid 4.

I hear the "disbain for PCs" spiel a lot from people, and it's a perfectly understandable opinion. However, I must say that I think it is slightly misguided in most cases. PC upgrades can easily be done every few years for several hundred dollars, putting it at about the same price and timeframe as getting a new console. I would much rather sit at my computer desk for immersing games like first person shooters and RPGs. If you have everything sit up well, it should be perfectly comfortable. Angle your monitor properly, have your arms of your desk chair level with the keyboard/mouse tray, use wrist pads for said keyboard and mouse, etc. Obviously though, if you just don't like the setting itself, you just don't like it. ;)

RockBand 2 will be great. All the instruments and DLC (Xbox 360 and PS3) will work between both games, as in RockBand 2 DLC on RockBand 1, and visa-versa.

What would be the point in playing Rock Band 2 songs in Rock Band 1? Outside of the songs that come on the disc, there won't really be any reason to even have the first Rock Band anymore.

I am probably going to skip GHIV barring any big differences. The music creation aspect of GHIV is pretty lame to me because you can't record vocals, I'm not interested in anything else!

I agree to some extent. If I wanted to make custom tracks, I'd load up Frets on Fire. That said, I'm sure that they'll be plenty of great instrumentals put out by people.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:01:06 PM by Morari »

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
LOL That's a retarded move on EA's part.

It's not like Guitar Hero is less popular than RockBand.  So they've elected to limit their sales and allow the Guitar Hero Monster to shake loose on every platform, including the market leader, in order to compete with Guitar Hero IV on one platform?

Idiots.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 06:27:14 PM »
Brand positioning at its finest!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »
EA/MTV/Harmonix are easily handing the Sony and Nintendo market to Activision with this decision and giving up the Nintendo market is a really dumb idea because thats where most of the casuals are and GH3 is still kicking ass on the Wii charts. Giving up the Sony market is also dumb because that's where Harmonix's roots are.

With that in mind Rock Band is still the superior music game, me buying Guitar Hero On Tour for the DS was a its a buy 2 get 1 free sale so why the hell not situation and it was an okay decision at best with the peripheral being a bit of a mess.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 10:12:24 PM »
Superior or Not, I'd imagine people will get their taste of "Peripheral-based" music games on consoles that aren't the 360.  This leaves the "casuals" to snap up Guitar Hero IV on the market leader exclusively and have it be the standard Rock Band has to beat after timed exclusiveness.

They will regret this decision when Guitar Hero World Tour shakes loose this holiday and they have decided to self-sabotage themselves.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »
Nah. Now that there's already an "all instrument game" out on every console, I think most people will go for RockBand 2, rather than blow another $200 on GHWT, also, RB2 will be out first. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the "timed exclusive period" is going to be 1 month at the most.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »
When it comes down to branding war between Rock Band and Guitar Hero, it'll be Guitar Hero that pulls away the victor.

Watch as people get "introduced" to all instrument music games through Guitar Hero simply because it's a more familiar name.  Rock Band needs to be on as many platforms as possible in order to compete.  Not GIMP itself for an MS moneyhat.

It's a stupid decision, and I say this as a fan of NEITHER game.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
I agree I think MTV/EA is really making a mistake here. This game needs to hit all platforms simultaneously and have a massive marketing push behind it. I don't necessarily think that they will lose ground on the PS3, but I do think they are just giving away the Wii market, which as Jonny mentioned on the latest podcast, has the largest potential for massive sales out of all three markets.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 06:50:36 AM »
This game needs to hit all platforms simultaneously and have a massive marketing push behind it.

Sounds a helluva lot like the GH3 launch to me...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »

I don't understand this statement.  So you can't put the vocals on the game...you know how hard and time consuming that would be...besides the legal issues involved with that?

First you would have to sing it and get all the tones correctly the first time, and have the game read it perfectly, then you would have to text write in the words to each song created, and position perfectly for syncing up with the game.  That sounds very difficult.

Instead, you realize that you can write a song and then your singer of the band and just memorize the words...like a real band.  Sure it makes it harder to share, but it still works.

I personally can't wait to see the first Guitar Hero 4 BAND.  Someone playing on Youtube and locally, singing songs they created using Guitar Hero and playing the songs on Guitar Hero. 

I am purely a Wii owner so if I wanted this game...I would buy it for Wii...and probably get the instruments, but at a $200.00 price tag it is too expensive for me. 

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »

I don't understand this statement.  So you can't put the vocals on the game...you know how hard and time consuming that would be...besides the legal issues involved with that?

First you would have to sing it and get all the tones correctly the first time, and have the game read it perfectly, then you would have to text write in the words to each song created, and position perfectly for syncing up with the game.  That sounds very difficult.

Instead, you realize that you can write a song and then your singer of the band and just memorize the words...like a real band.  Sure it makes it harder to share, but it still works.

I personally can't wait to see the first Guitar Hero 4 BAND.  Someone playing on Youtube and locally, singing songs they created using Guitar Hero and playing the songs on Guitar Hero. 

I am purely a Wii owner so if I wanted this game...I would buy it for Wii...and probably get the instruments, but at a $200.00 price tag it is too expensive for me. 

Maybe because I don't want to take the time to record the music if vocals are not recorded? Not to mention Rock Band has 1 year head start on GHIV.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 02:25:28 PM »
I really fail to see how recording vocals could have any legal ramifications that recording music doesn't. Do you think an instrumental cover is going to be looked upon any more favorably than a poorly sung cover?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 02:31:43 PM »
Unless you're Peter Frampton you won't be able to make your guitar talk.  If they allow vocals they'll have to make sure there's no bad language, no (unauthorized) advertisements, and no giving your home address so young children can come visit you after they are promised free cookies and punch.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »

thats cuz gurlz can't rock they just want to sing like snow white.

get a kareoke machine

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 06:38:29 PM »
OMG RELIGION DISCUSSION
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 07:50:15 PM »

thats cuz gurlz can't rock they just want to sing like snow white.

get a kareoke machine
They sell those at Target.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.