Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 494046 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The Conduit
« Reply #1150 on: April 28, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »
Those voice-chat limitations don't seem to me to be that deterring from a good online experience.

Yeah, I can't imagine ever wanting to be able to communicate with people on my team who AREN'T on my friends list.

Oh wait.

PS: Perfect Dark is LITERALLY everything Goldeneye was, but more and better.

I agree with both of these points despite the sarcasm of the first.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1151 on: April 28, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »
Friends of Friends can be communicated with, if it wasn't clear already.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 28, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »
Ya, but I liked Goldeneye better for some reason.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 28, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »

Same, and i still don't know why. I was super hyped for PD as were all my friends, and although it was an awesome experience, oftentimes someone would just say "hey, lets put in goldeneye!" and we'd stop in the middle of a game and go back to that classic. Even years later, when we'd reunite to play some of those "oldies" we'd end up choosing Goldeneye over PD. Even when the slow speed made us think "wtf!?" we'd rather turn on the Turbo code than pop in PD. I think there's only two of us out of our larger group that will still play it from time to time. Sad really, cuz it is better.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 28, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
Same, and i still don't know why.
Could it simply be because you played it first?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: April 28, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Maybe...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 28, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »
Same, and i still don't know why.
Could it simply be because you played it first?

Maybe.. or it could be that 4player goldeneye hardly ever choked on the framerate. Sure you could have like.. what 8 bots playing against you in PD? but how often did that ever really work out? It was a let down.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 28, 2009, 06:38:12 PM »
Maybe.. or it could be that 4player goldeneye hardly ever choked on the framerate. Sure you could have like.. what 8 bots playing against you in PD? but how often did that ever really work out? It was a let down.
It worked out fine for me but I guess I'm just used to choppy framerates. I always made sure not to use the hi-res mode and then the framerate was tolerable.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 28, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
I don't remember ever noticing the frame rate as a problem and we played 4 players with 4 bots all the time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 28, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
It's called nostalgia goggles.

Play four-player PD with no bots. BAM. It's Goldeneye, but with more options.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 29, 2009, 01:15:17 AM »
Those voice-chat limitations don't seem to me to be that deterring from a good online experience.

Yeah, I can't imagine ever wanting to be able to communicate with people on my team who AREN'T on my friends list.

I usually mute everyone else but my friends when I play online on the 360/PS3 because even when it's Team Deathmatch it's everyone for themselves for the majority of matches.

Offline Chiller

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 29, 2009, 02:16:32 AM »
I would concur that Goldeneye has the benefit of popping a lot of people's multiplayer FPS cherry.

I had some limited multiplayer FPS experience, but that was always netplay.  Goldeneye was the first FPS I had ever played that allowed four of us to sit around the same TV and just go nuts.  Of course, there were other factors, too, which made it a unique experience.  It was the first FPS I had ever had the ran well on a console.  It was the first FPS I played (with the possible exception of ROtT) that wasn't sci-fi, fantasy, or that took place in the past.  Even though the hits resulted in little more than a red blotch, it was also the first FPS I played that really allowed you to do more than just shoot someone in the chest.  Of course, I can't leave out one of the best parts: one-hit kills.  I suppose I am in the minority, but I love the action and fast-pace that it presses.  Things really felt more frantic when you were always one shot away from killing, or being killed.  It also opened up the door for knife kills, and slap kills.  Nothing would be more nuts than maniacally slapping away at someone with an automatic weapon, and actually getting the upper hand.

Goldeneye also holds a special place in my heart simply because of when it came out.  It was released during my senior year in high-school.  This was probably the last time where I could sit around with friends, hours at a time, without a care in the world, and just dick around with video games.  We wasted so many hours playing 007, listening to music, and beating the **** out each other for all of the dick moves we would pull (like proximity mines in the start points).  When Perfect Dark came out, we were already losing our vitality.  I was starting my junior year in college, worrying about buying books, worrying about work, and all of the other burdens that come with responsibility.  Sure, everything just worked better in the game, and there were a ton more options, but it wasn't as fresh, and we weren't as carefree.

Every once in a while, like othes here, we would bust out Goldeneye.  It is a shock to see just how dated it has become.  But, just because of dumb nostalgia, it will always be untoppable as far as the pure fun it exuded.
"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 29, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »
WARNING! EXTREME SPOILER! DON"T READ UNLESS YOU DON"T CARE!

So I heard...

The Conduit will feature alien worlds and they're supposedly a hell of alot better than D.C.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:05 PM »
WARNING! EXTREME SPOILER! DON"T READ UNLESS YOU DON"T CARE!

So I heard...

The Conduit will feature alien worlds and they're supposedly a hell of alot better than D.C.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. I mean how can you have an alien invasion story without going to the alien world/ship at LEAST once?
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:51 PM »
Well I guess not if you want it to be good, but the focus is on WORLDS

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1165 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Goldeneye had the better single player game and better missions.  There are just some levels in Perfect Dark that fall flat, way flat, and there are other games that the level design is confusing and difficult to figure out what you need to do exactly to finish the level.

Goldeneye was more straight forward with its approach and its story much cleaner.

However, Perfect Dark's multiplayer experience blew Goldeneye out of the water.  Better designed levels, built for the chaos of large battles with bots made it amazing.  Add in all the variety and customization and you could play forever.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 30, 2009, 12:10:57 AM »
I prefer real world environments.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1167 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:41 AM »
that aren't HD grey-brown.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 30, 2009, 01:26:10 AM »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 30, 2009, 02:05:52 AM »

Rather blanket statement there. And sort of shuts out like 95% of all gaming.
-Travis Touchdown

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1170 on: May 05, 2009, 01:10:12 AM »
>> The Conduit
Story trailer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 05, 2009, 08:00:34 AM »

I propose we make a game where we're flies in shyguy's room and we have to attack the person playing a game. Last person to be squished wins.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 05, 2009, 05:51:18 PM »
One of the compelling aspects of first person is the sense of immersion that it gives while playing. In a real world environment, this sense of immersion is supported. Running around in an alien intestine breaks the suspension of disbelief and reminds me that I am playing a game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
One of the compelling aspects of first person is the sense of immersion that it gives while playing. In a real world environment, this sense of immersion is supported. Running around in an alien intestine breaks the suspension of disbelief and reminds me that I am playing a game.

Oh I don't know...there's a sequence in Alone in the Dark where after you down this giant satanic bat you escape certain death by climbing up a cliff; climbing up through the posterior entry of the thing's corpse; march through its interiors; and walk out its mouth to freedom.  Yeah, it was a wierd and somewhat silly experience, but that didn't stop it being profoundly creepy (and make me wonder whether some of the people at Eden Studios should be committed).

Of course, part of that could be that I couldn't tell what in the world I was climbing up into until I was nearly at the "cave exit".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:01:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 05, 2009, 06:03:19 PM »

SPOILERZ!?!?