Author Topic: They were wrong... [Online lag isn't improving]  (Read 25229 times)

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: They were wrong... [Online lag isn't improving]
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
Tekken 5 DR online was no better than this and it doesn't have nearly the online numbers, neither was Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO or Kaillera in general.  How many times am I going to have to say this, fighters online simply don't work and can hardly be played semi seriously.  The only thing I can ever tell anyone in regards to this is to use a LAN adapter and if possible, upgrade your service.

Mario Kart will probably be a **** ton better than this game online for the simple reason that it's not nearly if at all as input sensitive and it's not nearly as reliant on being neatly on sync with all players because everything in games like that is based off of approximations.  MoHH2 gets away with 32 people for this very reason, Mario Kart online will basically be identical to it.  Hell the DS game was better for matchups than SSBB even with all the cuts made to it and that's on a 2mbps connection max.  Smash can't get away with that because as a fighting game, one input could mean the difference between winning and losing, and when items are thrown into play that just means more crap that has to be synched between 4 players. 

There was no way Sakurai was going to win this one and he knew it, hence why he gave the warning that NOBODY seemed to take heed on before the game was launched.  If he decided to remove the items from online play, it may have smoothened out the experience some, but then you'd have an entire group of people who'd bitch that it's not really Smash.  If they limited it to two people, it would've helped immensely as well, but then it would've been seen as catering to the hardcore Smash tourney group only and once again people would've been vocal about lack of 4 player online.  One of the better things they could've done was reduce the framerate to at least 25fps, which would've helped cut back the input delay so that it could be real time or closer to real time depending on distance, but then you'll have people bitching about the framerate being unplayable online and that they want their 60fps.  So what did we actually get, everything and the kitchen sink in terms of features but a usually unplayable game when more than 2 people are involved, and I'll bet you it's going to stay this way for the most part too.  Bitch all you want, that's just how it is.  There's a reason why FPS's and racers are really popular online games, they're a lot easier to get to work, it's that simple. 

One more thing, when Marvel VS. Capcom 2 was put on the original X-Box, it was probably the only game of theirs with no LIVE competitive online gameplay whatsoever.  I think the reason why would be very obvious to anyone familiar with the gameplay, which was why I thought Sakurai was nuts to want to put SSBB online in the first place.
If Capcom could'nt get it straight with a full on wired ethernet connection, what the hell makes you think Nintendo would get it straight with the Wii's internal WiFi that has a smaller pipeline for data than the average DSL connection?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »
Tekken 5 DR online was no better than this and it doesn't have nearly the online numbers, neither was Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO or Kaillera in general.  How many times am I going to have to say this, fighters online simply don't work and can hardly be played semi seriously.  The only thing I can ever tell anyone in regards to this is to use a LAN adapter and if possible, upgrade your service.

Mario Kart will probably be a **** ton better than this game online for the simple reason that it's not nearly if at all as input sensitive and it's not nearly as reliant on being neatly on sync with all players because everything in games like that is based off of approximations.  MoHH2 gets away with 32 people for this very reason, Mario Kart online will basically be identical to it.  Hell the DS game was better for matchups than SSBB even with all the cuts made to it and that's on a 2mbps connection max.  Smash can't get away with that because as a fighting game, one input could mean the difference between winning and losing, and when items are thrown into play that just means more crap that has to be synched between 4 players. 

There was no way Sakurai was going to win this one and he knew it, hence why he gave the warning that NOBODY seemed to take heed on before the game was launched.  If he decided to remove the items from online play, it may have smoothened out the experience some, but then you'd have an entire group of people who'd bitch that it's not really Smash.  If they limited it to two people, it would've helped immensely as well, but then it would've been seen as catering to the hardcore Smash tourney group only and once again people would've been vocal about lack of 4 player online.  One of the better things they could've done was reduce the framerate to at least 25fps, which would've helped cut back the input delay so that it could be real time or closer to real time depending on distance, but then you'll have people bitching about the framerate being unplayable online and that they want their 60fps.  So what did we actually get, everything and the kitchen sink in terms of features but a usually unplayable game when more than 2 people are involved, and I'll bet you it's going to stay this way for the most part too.  Bitch all you want, that's just how it is.  There's a reason why FPS's and racers are really popular online games, they're a lot easier to get to work, it's that simple. 

One more thing, when Marvel VS. Capcom 2 was put on the original X-Box, it was probably the only game of theirs with no LIVE competitive online gameplay whatsoever.  I think the reason why would be very obvious to anyone familiar with the gameplay, which was why I thought Sakurai was nuts to want to put SSBB online in the first place.
If Capcom could'nt get it straight with a full on wired ethernet connection, what the hell makes you think Nintendo would get it straight with the Wii's internal WiFi that has a smaller pipeline for data than the average DSL connection?

That's great, except for the fact that my network connection sure as hell hasn't changed and yet that doesn't change the fact that people I connect to will randomly have better or worse connections, typically depending upon what time I play with them, meaning that the congestion of the Gamespy servers is directly linked to the quality of the online connectivity.

In short, Nintendo is still to blame. Sorry.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »
I still amazed Brawnline played as well as it did across AN OCEAN the other night.

So instead of being a lame onrine "I MUST PLAY THE BEST AND BE THE BEST" tourney game, it became a competitive lol-tastic party game (one of the franchise's inherent perspectives, and strengths).
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »
I suppose I'm not so upset about the lag so much as the inconsistency.

If it was consistently a half-second delay, I could learn to play all the characters that way and be done with it, but it changes, and I mean to the same person on a nightly basis.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2008, 05:10:28 PM »
Please take the lag out, I will not tolerate 1/2 second lag ever. I'm okay with the funtastic idea of it, but in terms of being a competitive matches between friends, I cannot play my best.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2008, 07:34:16 PM »
Then visit your friends.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »
Then visit your friends.

Not if my friends are you guys.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2008, 01:26:26 AM »
Yeah, our matches were pretty laggy, sadly. :(

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2008, 01:32:17 AM »
Yeah, our matches were pretty laggy, sadly. :(

I can only hope it was me at fault. :( that would be the saddest of all.

Frozen Shoe Games

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2008, 02:32:02 AM »
Be like Nintendo.  Don't compete.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2008, 04:15:48 AM »
I've noticed a pretty significant improvement over the past few days.

Usually when I played in the middle of the afternoon, my matches ranged from moderate lag to slideshows. Now it ranges from mostly negligible to minor lag, with occasional moderate lag. I haven't gotten a single slideshow out of the last 30 or so matches I've played. I even played a couple that ran absolutely flawless. It can still take an annoyingly long time to match opponents, but even that has improved in general.

I was stunned when I first noticed this, since I imagine these are the peak hours. It's seriously been like night and day.

Am... am I the only one?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
I've noticed a pretty significant improvement over the past few days.

Usually when I played in the middle of the afternoon, my matches ranged from moderate lag to slideshows. Now it ranges from mostly negligible to minor lag, with occasional moderate lag. I haven't gotten a single slideshow out of the last 30 or so matches I've played. I even played a couple that ran absolutely flawless. It can still take an annoyingly long time to match opponents, but even that has improved in general.

I was stunned when I first noticed this, since I imagine these are the peak hours. It's seriously been like night and day.

Am... am I the only one?

Probably, since I heard people say that they are not getting any lag, then coming back and saying that their matches lagged to a screeching halt.

The problem lies in the fact that the servers can't process four different connections at the same time.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2008, 02:08:37 AM »
It has been better but it can still be a crapshoot, I've found.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 05:46:52 AM »
SB your lag theory (about affecting us over here) is incorrect, i've yet to be affected by serious lag in any case. Just tiny smidgen when the characters "vanish" because they are farther ahead. There was even one person down in Japan playing us in about a dozen races last night.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 11:28:40 AM »
SB your lag theory (about affecting us over here) is incorrect, i've yet to be affected by serious lag in any case. Just tiny smidgen when the characters "vanish" because they are farther ahead. There was even one person down in Japan playing us in about a dozen races last night.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »
i've been able to play matches against S_B, Vudu, Armak (plus his brother) and i think maybe one other member from this forum but thats it. Random matches still don't work for me and that is sad because i never seem to be on when you guys are, or if i am i either can't join your games or you don't let me (which is sad :()

it sucks!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 01:57:13 PM »
Brawl and Mario Wheeling are totally different games.

Mario Wheeling plays better online because it's a much better game.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
MK Wii will be on the same laggy servers Brawl is on now.

It's gonna have problems as well...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »
It hasn't so far in Europe and Japan.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
It hasn't so far in Europe and Japan.

That's what I've been reading as well. However, I suspect that they are using a different set of servers from the US Gamespy ones.

I think the game will become Lag heaven once all three regions log in at the same time.

EDIT: On the other hand, the game HAS been built around online so it might run smoother than Brawl.

We'll see...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:02:06 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »
Has the lag gone away for everyone or just me? Over the past couple weeks I've played at least half a dozen matches (all friends) and there has been zero lag, just as smooth as if we were playing together in the same room. A couple of the matches involved 3 people on the same Wii and me on the other end and it still had no lag.

J.P. Corbran

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »
Can you do random matches yet?

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »
I haven't tried, actually I don't think I've ever attempted a random match. I'll try one later and check.

I wonder if the volume of people trying to play was a big part of the problem, and when enough people gave up it got better. Of course if this were the case word would get out that they work and the volume would be back and it would quit working again, and the cycle would continue for a while.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2008, 11:53:02 PM »
Pendulum effect, eh?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2008, 02:55:43 AM »
Tried playing tonight and the online system is still just as abysmal as it was at launch.

Actual matches aren't bad, latency-wise, but getting INTO a match is a nightmare.