Author Topic: 3DO Simulates World Series  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
3DO Simulates World Series
« on: March 31, 2003, 09:02:18 AM »
Yankees win over Diamondbacks.  SHOCK!  AWE!

THE YANKEES® RECLAIM THE WORLD SERIES CROWN

The New York Yankees Beat the Arizona Diamondbacks™ in this Year's World Series® According to Computer Game, "High Heat™ Major League Baseball® 2004"

REDWOOD CITY, CA - (March 31, 2003) - The 3DO Company today announced its "High Heat Major League Baseball" video game simulation results for the 2004 season. According to the average results of four simulated seasons, the Yankees and the Diamondbacks will meet once again, this time with different results than during the 2001 World Series®. Fifty percent of the simulations predicted that the Yankees will defeat Arizona, winning four games in the best of seven series.

In other results, the defending champions, the Anaheim Angels™, only reached the playoffs in one of the four simulations, losing in the first round to Boston. "The 'High Heat' game's artificial intelligence is incredibly accurate, however we still haven't found a way to account for the kind of 'heart' that helped Anaheim win the World Series last year. We're working on that," said Trip Hawkins, Chief Executive Officer of The 3DO Company.

Season results include Diamondbacks star pitcher, Curt Schilling, clinching the prestigious Cy Young award for the National League™ in two of the simulations and Pedro Martinez of the Red Sox™ winning the American League™ honors in all four.  

According to simulated results, Arizona's Randy Johnson is set to finish an impressive season leading the National League in strike-outs, averaging 281 over the four seasons simulated. Barry Bonds averaged 65 home runs, 137 RBI, and an equally impressive .338 batting average. Former Giants™ Second Baseman Jeff Kent also showed promise, averaging 43 home runs, 133 RBI, and a .332 batting average with his new team, the Houston Astros™. Louis Castillo of the Florida Marlins™ will dominate the National League™ in the stolen bases category, averaging a whopping 70 per season.

It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Fammy2000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 10:29:51 AM »
Wait, stop the season! No need to play sports if computers already know the results.

This exericse seems a little extreme. It's one thing to predict the World Series/NBA Finals/Superbowl winner between two teams. But a whole season? Play video games. Watch sports.  But don't watch a computer play a season of video games. I feel sorry for the intern that had to set this up.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 10:53:06 AM »
Why feel sorry for them? It can simulate it within an hour and have the results. I would be willing to bet they simulated all four seasons in one hour even.

While I don't know how long it takes 3DO's High Heat Major League Baseball series to simulate a season, All-Star Baseball's could do a whole season in ten minutes or better. It's extremely fast and somewhat accurate.

Offline Eminem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 04:31:37 PM »
Oh please. EA did the same thing last year and they said that the Yankees would win over the Giants in the World Series . The Yankees didn't even make it that far! So much for computer simulation . I'll watch the actual games and see who wins.
I'm Infinite

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 05:41:40 PM »
EA just sucks for simulating world events. France was supposed to win the world cup again. They finished last in their first round group. So I will take it that 3DO, and it's former EA self, will not be any better than any other one. Yippiee!