Author Topic: RE: Pokemon Emerald Revealed  (Read 2889 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Pokemon Emerald Revealed
« on: July 12, 2004, 08:44:23 AM »
In the tradition of Yellow and Crystal...

According to Game-Science, the new issue of Koro Koro Comics in Japan has revealed the first information on Pokemon Emerald for Game Boy Advance, to be released in Japan on September 16.  (Non-Pokemon fans should stop reading now to avoid dizziness.)  Like Pokemon Yellow and Crystal, Emerald is a souped up version of its most recent predecessors, Ruby and Sapphire.  In other words, it's not a true sequel in that it contains basically the same gameplay and Pokemon as Ruby and Sapphire, but it supports several new features, apparently including more significant upgrades than with the usual "third game".

The most notable addition is support for the GBA Wireless Adapter, which will be included with the game.  Trainers can now join forces in two-on-two battles, and the second trainer can even join up mid-battle, a feature that will probably be utilized with the wireless support as well as against the computer.  The heroes are all new, and according to Game-Science, "Both trainers can now attack at the same time."  Could this be a major shift in how Pokemon battles take place?

Seven new "big" battle types will be available at Battle Frontier.  The first two revealed are "Battle Dome" and "Battle Tube".  These modes appear to be like mini-games that offer extra challenge to experienced players.

Koro Koro Comics is expected to give more information on Pokemon Emerald in the coming weeks.  The game will also be on display at the upcoming Pokemon Festa, an event which tours Japan from July 17 through August 14.

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:02:38 AM »
I find it strange that this is releasing so late, If there isn't a way to connect these current pokemon titles with the later ones (DS) then I'll *REALLY* be aggrivated at nintendo.

...On the other end of the spectrum, i'll most likely be buying this because Pokemon has a control over me.... I wish they released Fire Red and Leaf Green before announcing this one though....

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Pokemon Emerald Revealed
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:54:31 AM »
News like this just makes me more pist off that we don't have a MMORPG Pokemon game, I also still wish for a Animal Crossing MMO game.

Untill that happens I'm continuing my boycott on Pokemon (established after Gold & Silver versions)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 12:28:23 PM »
I'm with you, Killa.  Not interested in anymore Pokemon until they make serious changes and upgrades to the series.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 12:48:49 PM »
It would be hard for me to boycott Pokemon since it's such an easy birthday/Christmas present for my younger brother.  My 18 year old brother.

Boycotting Pokemon however is like boycotting Madden.  The fanbase is so huge and seems to not care that they get screwed all the time so the boycott of a casual fan (and we are casual fans at best if we're questioning the existence of this game) is rather insignificant.  I would do what I always have done: buy the original entries to the RPG series (Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire) and leave the remakes and spin-offs to rot.  Though although it was a new game I did think that Ruby/Sapphire was really derivative especially since it was missing features that were in Gold/Silver.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 12:54:07 PM »
It's not really that big of a deal...You either buy it or you don't...However, Emerald seems to have more in it than there was from the transitions from Red/Blue to Yellow and Gold/Silver to Crystal...Henceforth, I will be buying it...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 03:40:02 PM »
I'm gettin it too. In fact I've accually been waiting for it and didn't buy Ruby or Sapphire 'cause I was waiting for it.
Only The Man can keep me down now.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 03:45:53 PM »
As the Pokemon freak I am, I'll probably end up buying it, but probably not for a while. At least not until I find out more about these improvements.

I think a cool feature would be if you could join a fellow player as he passes by you and the both of you can travel along the path for a little while.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 03:51:53 PM »
Anyone want to take bets on how well it sells ?  Ruby and Sapphire have sold through 12.78 million copies (well that was the most recent figure that Nintendo released, they've almost certainly broken 13 million by now)... Pokemon is going to pass Mario very soon...

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 04:38:46 PM »
the fact is that I loved pokemon yellow because It gave me a chance of restarting a pokemon adventure without deleating my 200 pokemon I had on Pokemon Red
I really hope that instead of picking Aqua/Magma instead you get a weird story were u help Rocket Investigate what is happening.
could be quite cool or something along those lines.
Because I thought the would magma/aqua was boring as hell

Offline Radiostorm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 06:36:31 PM »
Nothing to get excited about. Emerald will be practically identical to Ruby/Saphirre, which were remarkably similar to Gold/Silver, which were clones of Red/Blue.

Give me something new Nintendo. I have a Gamecube and online adaptor sitting in my basement begging for a Pokemon game.  
I'm a genius in France.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 06:39:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Radiostorm
Nothing to get excited about. Emerald will be practically identical to Ruby/Saphirre, which were remarkably similar to Gold/Silver, which were clones of Red/Blue.

Not quite...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »
I can vouch that Gold is not like Red. It's a lot easier and involves more unneeded complexity...

I wonder if Pokemon evolved like Harvest Moon did, as in "so overcomplicated it isn't fun anymore"...

Offline pyrokamileon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 10:29:34 PM »
yeah man, I tried waiting for the special edition (although I thought it would be onyx) but I ended up buying ruby just cause I hadn't heard anything about it coming out, once I realized the pokemon battle animations that crystal introduced were absent in ruby I lost interest and gave it to my cousin cause he liked it.  although after playing blue for a while I can really appreciate how advanced ruby is, here's hoping emerald has battle animations like crystal, I'm buying regardless, but I can wish can't I?
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN