Author Topic: RE: Mario Kart Unlockables REVEALED!  (Read 2284 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart Unlockables REVEALED!
« on: November 06, 2003, 01:10:44 PM »
We dug into the official Mario Kart: Double Dash website and discovered the lineup of unlockable racers and tracks!  Spoilers within!

Nintendo's new Mario Kart: Double Dash website (see link above) hints at secret characters and tracks, but all of the locked goodies are marked with silhouettes and the words "Coming soon!"  But the diligent PGC staff is always looking for secrets, and thanks to a little snooping around from our staff artist, Ryan Jones, these secrets are coming now.

Ryan tooled around the website and eventually found a document which duplicates the racer info on the site.  The only difference is that it also includes the secret racers at the bottom of the list.  The secret characters are (highlight the hidden text to view it):

Toad
"Toad is small and fast, and with his Super Mushroom, he can give any kart a real boost.  Unlock him by..."

Toadette
"If you feel the need for speed, choose Toadette for your kart, and hold on tight.  Unlock her by..."

Petey Piranha
"Petey Piranha can grab any special item, allowing him to lay waste to the rest of the field.  Unlock him by..."

King Boo
"If you're not afraid of ghosts, you will be once King Boo is through with you.  Unlock him by..."

Obviously, the site still doesn't have info on how to actually unlock these characters.  Ryan also examined another document and found evidence of four secret tracks, though there isn't any text description of them.  The special cup features (highlight again to view):

Wario Colosseum
Dino Dino Jungle
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

Some of this info has already been reported by European media sources, who received the final version weeks ago.  But now you've got confirmation, courtesy of Nintendo's official game website.

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 04:46:09 PM »
A cute little article and very resourceful snooping. kudos!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Kart Unlockables REVEALED!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 04:50:05 PM »
I know how to unlock them...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 12:01:31 AM »
You have to NOT TELL ME!!!!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 03:17:36 AM »
Why don't they ever put as unlockables Zelda characters?! They could put Link with Zelda, the Twinrova sisters, Ganondorf with ...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 09:42:06 AM »
because it's called mario kart for a reason.  every racer is from the mario universe.  no zelda.  no sonic.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 11:55:42 AM »
NOOO!!! I WANTED SONIC AS A RACER!!!  
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 12:28:24 PM »
I didn't expect Sonic, but why DID that person (was it Miyamoto, or someone else?) drop that comment a little while back about Sonic maybe showing up in the next Mario Kart? Just random chatter?

...Anyway, for the way Double Dash is set up, with nearly every character having a similar partner, it would've been Sonic and Shadow. :P *Uses a Mushroom* "Here we go, Chaos Control!" *wince*  

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 09:20:56 AM »
It's actually kind of sad the way they have to stretch the Mario Universe for more characters to make unlockable.  But kingvudu is right, this is Mario Kart, not Super Smash Bros. Kart.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!