Author Topic: 3DO Files for Bankruptcy  (Read 3379 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« on: May 28, 2003, 06:49:06 PM »
The company behind Army Men, High Heat Baseball, and the upcoming Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is going broke.  Please, hold your applause until the end of the announcement.

According to GameSpot, The 3DO Company has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.  The infamous publisher has subsisted on sales of its mysteriously popular Army Men series for years, but it seems the well has run dry.

3DO is actively seeking a buyer, either for the entire company or any of its assets.  Being that the publisher's most ambitious game in years, the upcoming Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, is known to be a favorite of CEO Trip Hawkins, that title will likely be pushed hard to other companies, so that it can eventually be finished.

The next 3DO release on GameCube was to be a version of their only critically acclaimed series, High Heat Baseball.  The game had seen several delays, but is currently finished and waiting to be printed onto discs and shipped out to stores.  At this point, it's unclear as to whether that process will ever be completed, but our sources within the company tell us it's highly doubtful.

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Offline Knuckles_69

• View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 07:38:38 PM »
About time to, theyre games suck ass.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 07:42:53 PM »
They mentioned a little bit ago (today), that they were not going to let high heat baseball go.  Personally, I could care less about Sports games, but just thought I would mention.  I don't remember my source.  I think it might have been the idiots at IGN.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 07:58:29 PM »
This is a lesson for 3rd parties. You can't make so-so to bad games and stay in business. Just like Dee Snyder said back in the 80s, "We're not going to take it..." mediocre games that is. Though 4 horsemen would seem to be the title to get them into the spotlight. Its a great concept, it seemed to be [tastefully] mature and c'mon its all about that Traci Lords!!

But if by some act of some deity it becomes an XboX or PS2 exclusive, I'll be very...tempermental indeed. The question now is: Who's going to want to scoop up 3DO? They're no Sega, Square, Enix, or Capcom who have really good games on under their belts. I can envison someone like THQ or EA to maybe throw in their names in the hat, unless something random happens (Atari maybe?). Guess we'll have to stay tuned.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 08:15:35 PM »
Hehe... I can just picture the headlines if Atari buys 3D0.

ATARI TO BUY SHOVELWARE DEVELOPER.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 08:32:33 PM »
I musta been living in a cave.....I've recently bumped into phuck-IGN.com and now this post.  What is the problem concerning IGN?  I musta missed something mighty big within the gaming community.

Offline pingsmoth

• View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 11:07:22 PM »
I dunno...I'm gonna miss Trip Hawkins and his weird little company.  I remember going into Best Buy several years ago to see cutting-edge 3-D graphics on a 3D0 machine.  They had this game where you flew a helicopter around and blew stuff up.  They had ideas for their system that were way ahead of its time and, unfortunately, way off mark when it came to a real consumer machine.  It was too expensive, its purpose was ambiguous, and it was more confusing than it was cool.  It's too bad that the company has put out such crappy games for so long...and it's good that they're finally being put out of their own misery.
--
Gamenerd...100% Content
www.gamenerd.org

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 03:50:39 AM »
This is horrible news...Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse was on my must have list. Man that game looked like it was going to be awesome! I hope someone else picks up the publishing rights and get the "4 Horsemen" in stores in time for the X-Mas rush
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
RE: 3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 04:33:51 AM »
3DO is actively seeking a buyer, either for the entire company or any of its assets

Well Nintendo might be well served throwing a flyer at this, not the whole company but at least High Heat Baseball possibly...

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 06:19:51 AM »
3DO has filed for chapter 11 backruptcy protection, and this means that the company will continue to operate normally until they can transfer their assets to another company. 3DO has not canceled any games as of yet, and they will continue to work on thier upcoming games until they find a buyer. 3DO either wants to sell the entire company or its assets. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The Doc

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 07:11:50 AM »
I feel sorry for the employees but overall I'm happy that this happened.  3DO is one of the worst publishers ever and they deserve this.  Personally I hope no one buys them because if they do it'll just be the same sh!t all over again except it will be EA or THQ or some other over-rated publisher making Army Men games.

Offline Toe

• View Profile
3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 09:14:29 PM »
Just to put my mind at ease, Might and Magic is only published by 3do, right?  They don't own any copyrights or anything, right?  RIGHT?!?!?!?!

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
RE: 3DO Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 05:09:03 PM »
So what does this mean? That 3DO was a crappy publisher, or that today's acceptable-quality-level for videogames has just become too high for some studios?
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]