Author Topic: Whatever happened to online?  (Read 13995 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Whatever happened to online?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
OH THATS RIGHT BABY!!!!!!!!! Wi-Fi CONFIRMED.

All you non-believers can eat it!

Also Confirmed: THIS WILL BE THE GREATEST GAME KNOWN TO MANKIND.

QFT.

Incoming: "but how do you KNOW online will be good!?" response from the haters.

Mr. Jack, you and me man, 2v2 team. Let's do it!!! lol. I'm so hyped sorry.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Whatever happened to online?
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 01:11:17 AM »
Game on Dude, Game ON!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Whatever happened to online?
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 05:28:33 AM »
YESSS!! looks like I made this thread just in time.  So Awesome!  And to think I doubted them (though history provides a good reason)

Originally posted by: Crimm
We need this thread title changed.  I refuse to de-stretch the page until that happens.

Im on it, taking suggestions  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Online is ....... CONFIRMED!?!?!?
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 05:43:57 AM »

Originally posted by: HadesGigas
It doesn't use the Wii address book codes.

Are you sure?

From the site: "Wii friends who have registered one another’s names can play together freely."

That seems to imply that people on your Wii friend list will be connected already.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Online is ....... CONFIRMED!?!?!?
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 05:45:30 AM »
The friend codes in that one screen show 12 digits versus the Wii's 16...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 05:48:11 AM »
Oh crap, and the button says "Enter friend code".

Unless they're planning a firmware update which will wipe out the Wii menu friend code system, then it makes no sense to be doing this.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 05:56:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Unless they're planning a firmware update which will wipe out the Wii menu friend code system, then it makes no sense to be doing this.

...or they are adding a 2nd place to input friends codes, so you don't have to quit out of your game to enter one.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 06:21:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Grant10k

...or they are adding a 2nd place to input friends codes, so you don't have to quit out of your game to enter one.

Very optimistic now, aren't we? :p

In all seriousness while I am happy that online mode is FINALLY confirmed Nintendo will probably mess it up one way or another, whether it be the use of friend codes or lack of options.

Hate to be a party pooper but Nintendo has messed up online play before, why would Brawl be anything different?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 06:28:59 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Hate to be a party pooper but Nintendo has messed up online play before, why would Brawl be anything different?

Because it's impossible to mess up Brawl multiplayer. Items are unnecessary as are multiple fighting options. All we need is the ability for people to get together and fight and it's good enough. Even if there is a reduced number of stages that can be fought on, it won't matter because the only ones worth playing with other people are the ones with the least amount of frills.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 06:33:37 AM »

I wish that were the case, but as Bill pointed out, the code entry in the screen is 12 digits whereas the Wii codes are 16 digits.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 08:50:22 AM »
What else can I say besides "Great!"?
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 08:54:39 AM »

Originally posted by: HadesGigas

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I'm going to have to add some more people to my friends list....

It doesn't use the Wii address book codes.

what? I thought all the games of the console used the unique friend code list of the console, thats so lame.

good news still, but I don't see the appeal of going online with a fighting game (yes I know I'm very alone in that), something like the vouchers of MP3 is perfect for my internet needs.

I will give it a try anyway probably.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 08:54:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
With online confirmed there is nothing left to debate for the game!

GOTY?
In every catagory?

PUZZLE GAME OF THE YEAR: SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL
STRATEGY GAME OF THE YEAR: SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL
SHOOTER OF THE YEAR: TOUCH THE DEAD
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 09:14:31 AM »

I wish that were the case, but as Bill pointed out, the code entry in the screen is 12 digits whereas the Wii codes are 16 digits.

So? Screenshots don't always reflect reality. There are several explanations that come to mind
    *This is a test version and those X's are placeholders until they get the friends code working better
    *The whole screen is a mockup.
    *You all miscounted the amount of numbers in friends codes.
    *It's temporarily running off Striker's net code until they make the changes required to use the global friends code system.
    *It really needs extra friends codes in addition to the Wii's address book.
    *There is an unlikely firmware update that reduces the amount of digits needed for a Wii friend code, which is also my Thursday the 20th "Predict the daily update" guess

There are plenty of explanations. Some good some bad, but I think it's silly to assume how friends code system works internally until they come out with the "Friends codes were built wrong" daily update.
They might very well be using the OFCPG (One Friend Code Per Game, or 'Offkepig') but I don't know, and on top of that, I know I don't know.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 09:25:45 AM »
Boy is someone going to be severely disappointed if its confirmed that friend codes are required...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2007, 09:27:03 AM »
So disappointed to be taking a minute or two to put in friend codes...He could eat a hot dog in that time! =(

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2007, 09:34:01 AM »
Oh the friend codes thing doesn't bug me that much since I was planning on playing against my friends anyway. I'm just making fun of the fact that he is very positive that there is an alternative to friend codes to the point where he posts fake screens to prove his point.

It reminds me of back when the secret Melee clone characters were announced and people were angry as hell. They kept saying that the screens were fake and that the models were from an Unreal mod. The point is that they tried to cover up stuff with extreme positive thinking, which was just silly.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2007, 09:35:29 AM »
I didn't say YOU could eat a hot dog in that time...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2007, 09:37:58 AM »
Imagine how many hot dogs Takeru Kobayashi could eat in that time.... Think of how disappointed Takeru Kobayashi must be.

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 09:43:25 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Boy is someone going to be severely disappointed if its confirmed that friend codes are required...
I'm just making fun of the fact that he is very positive that there is an alternative to friend codes to the point where he posts fake screens to prove his point.

I'm not saying they will use system codes OR they are using OFCPG codes either. My point is that I don't know, and getting my hopes up (or down) is pointless.
Internally (in my mind), it looks like they are using the OFCPG method, however I'm not going to say "Gosh dang it!" until I have some real evidence to back up my cynicism.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2007, 10:35:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
So disappointed to be taking a minute or two to put in friend codes...He could eat a hot dog in that time! =(

One could easily input friend codes while eating a hot dog.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2007, 10:41:10 AM »
I don't want to start up the argument again, but I just don't want to have to put 50 friend codes in for SSBB, 50 for Mario Kart Wii, 50 for Animal Crossing, etc. when my Wii already KNOWS those 50 people.

Just doesn't make sense, is all.

I didn't say YOU could eat a hot dog in that time...

You doubt Pap's ability to consume processed roadkill?

Them's fightin' words!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann

One could easily input friend codes while eating a hot dog.

Uh, uhhh, just think of it as a really, REALLY big hot dog! ^_^,

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
this will be awesome...i think smash bros will start to eclipse halo as ultimate onrine game in popularity
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2007, 08:17:46 AM »
Wow, Matt at IGN needs to calm down.  When everyone is excited that they get to play Smash online for the first time...and is generally overall positive, Matt starts bitching about no voice chat in Brawl.

He can't understand why Nintendo would create this limitation and how it overall sucks that Nintendo would do this to him...he seems to take it personal.

Well, you know what here are some things to think about Matt.

1)Voice chat would be one more think taking up the bandwidth possibly slowing down the game and making it unplayable in 4-player mode.

2)Sure voice chat among your friends may have been cool, but voice chat with people that aren't your friends = royal suckage.  

3)Nintendo still needs to protect itself.  This is why friend codes are still used, and why voice chat is being delayed.  The fact is...it doesn't matter if gamers have to put the friend codes in themselves, if parents find out their kids are talking to strangers online...Nintendo will be attacked by special interest groups, out for blood.

4)Who has time to chat when you are kicking ass and taking names.

Ok, I will admit that voice chat would have been cool, but I think it is an overreact to blog and complain about such a minor issue, specially if you don't know all the decisions behind it.

Last, he complains that the text taunts are archaic and he is upset that you can't know the names of the random people you play online.  Well I like the fact I can go online and play anamously...and the text taunts can be great humor.  I personally can't wait to write my taunts for in game play.