Author Topic: Could a language larning game work?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline ShreddersDojo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Could a language larning game work?
« on: September 13, 2007, 04:24:01 AM »
If a Brain age Game improves your memory, could not the same tactic be applied too learning language?

If Nintendo can come up with a fun way too learn a language through a video game, be it Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, etc.....they'd have a huge hit on their hands.  I'd love too learn Spanish if only too understand some of the interesting looking shows on Telemundo  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Could a language larning game work?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 04:34:21 AM »
For a second I thought you were talking about C++ learning.

There's an English Training game for the DS, probably not available in the US for obvious reasons.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Could a language larning game work?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:39:05 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
For a second I thought you were talking about C++ learning.

There's an English Training game for the DS, probably not available in the US for obvious reasons.

What obvious reason would that be? If they could adapt that game to have a base language of Spanish(and many other languages too) then that program would be exactly what California needs. As a matter of fact, they should make the purchase of a DS with English training mandatory for everyone entering the country that doesn't speak basic English already.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:32:38 AM »
I don't know...what's larning?
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:31:39 AM »
Yeah, my bad. I noticed that after I hit submit.  You will notice it's right in the post.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:Could a language learning game work?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »

Originally posted by: ShreddersDojo
If a Brain age Game improves your memory, could not the same tactic be applied too learning language?

If Nintendo can come up with a fun way too learn a language through a video game, be it Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, etc.....they'd have a huge hit on their hands.  I'd love too learn Spanish if only too understand some of the interesting looking shows on Telemundo

you're not missing out much on telemundo. in fact like 99.9% of the shows can be watched with the sound off because every damn show has some of the HOTTEST women imaginable... even one of the news casters is hot!!! i saw a video once where they covered spring break and she stripped down to a thong bikini!

/MUY CALIENTE
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Could a language learning game work?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 05:16:37 PM »
This has been a personal interest to me, being a foreign language major (aaaaaagggggg) and I've written a paper or two at least touching on it.

There's actually lots of language learning software on the DS in Japan - there's training programs for the standardized english tests, and of course the Japanese-English dictionary software (which owns). I've been working on a couple text-intensive Japanese games, and there's definitely things I've picked up in games that I've been able to use (and also not sound retarded).

I think a dedicated, honest-to-god "game" would be great. I've been playing with Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-kun or whatever it's called. It still doesn't feel like a game but it's alright...

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Could a language learning game work?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »
I think they should make an English Training game for English speakers. We need it more than they do.  

Offline UERD

• View Profile
RE: Could a language learning game work?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 03:51:47 PM »
Sadly, but true.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu