Author Topic: Assist Trophy Discussion and Speculation  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Assist Trophy Discussion and Speculation
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:53:06 AM »
Here's where we put all our discussion on known assist trophies and we pull out our speculation on what could or what we hope will be included.

I would first like to say that the Devil is an awesome AT and I can't wait to see the laughs that will ensue when he is pulled out for use.

That said, I'm hoping for a Tingle assist trophy that does stupid stuff like fly across the screen on balloons and if you are able to pop his balloons he'll fall to the ground and start wiggling his behind like the fruity Tingle he is.   If your character gets close to him, you get mesmerized for a short period and another character has a free chance to smack you around.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Assist Trophy Discussion and Speculation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 07:07:48 AM »
Marin, please...

She'd put everyone to sleep for a short period of time with her Ballad of the Windfish...It'd be hilarious fun on moving stages! ='D

(Or as a secondary attack she could "summon" the giant walrus with her singing!)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 07:10:40 AM »
After seeing the Hammer Bros in adventure mode, I'm actually very interested in how some of the "Assist" characters might function in that mode. Particularly the Devil, if he is featured there.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Assist Trophy Discussion and Speculation
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:31:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Marin, please...

She'd put everyone to sleep for a short period of time with her Ballad of the Windfish...It'd be hilarious fun on moving stages! ='D

(Or as a secondary attack she could "summon" the giant walrus with her singing!)

The Ballad of the Wind Fish is the song of awakening.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:40:25 AM »
How about those wierd animals in Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion...perhaps we can somehow make them assist trophies...they did Assist Samus to escape before.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:49:13 AM »
This game needs Jugger to make some bizarre assist character:

I think it would be fairly easy to translate his power from Advance Wars to in game use. For example, he would "grant" the character he is assisting a range of damage to each of their attack, now being able to do up to x3 the amount of damage... or 1/3 the amount of damage, and a ton of modifiers in between those.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 07:50:13 AM »
I figure a fairy from Zelda will pop out of one and fully heal someone.

I wonder if there will be rare trophies like Mew and Celebi that technically aren't any more useful than Goldeen but are cool to get just because they're so unlikely.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »
One of the trophies needs to be a Metroid. The crazy head sucker(s) could either grab onto your foes(s) and do damage, or one of them could latch onto the screen and obstruct your view.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 08:46:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot
One of the trophies needs to be a Metroid. The crazy head sucker(s) could either grab onto your foes(s) and do damage, or one of them could latch onto the screen and obstruct your view.

Its more than likely to happen.

As for assist trophies as much as I want them to be playable characters the EBA/Ouendan have a better chance at being assist trophies, which is fine by me. I just want them to be featured in the game.

Other Assist trophies I would like to see:
Little Mac (like the EBA, I want to see him playable but an assist trophy appearance is just as good)
Mr. Ressetti
The cast from the Wario ware games
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Grant10k

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:23:24 AM »
Bloopers, from the original Mario.

Originally posted by: Joey
Those whack invertebrates will sting you, OLD SCHOOL

Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 09:34:55 AM »
The God of Poverty from Kid Icarus.  He takes away all the other items.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:44:03 AM »
Mario Kart item box; allows you to store an item for later use.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 10:51:44 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Marin, please...

The Ballad of the Wind Fish is the song of awakening.

Yeah, but that'd wouldn't work out for Smash Brothers for obvious reasons...Improvise, IMPROVISE! (Entrancing would work out the same way as sleeping though, I don't know why I didn't think about that...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »
It could awaken all characters out of their "dream", make the stage fade away over a short time and replace it with the windfish flying through the sky, if you don't hop on fast enough you fall as the old stage disappears?

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 03:02:42 PM »
I'd personally rather the Metroid be an item over an assist trophy. The Metroid could first appear in a containment unit so you can pick it up and toss it an opponent causing it to break free and latch onto them for a short time.

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »
I really think this is going to be a really fun and random part of the game.  It's a good way for some long dead franchises to get a boost back into d-list stardom!

I'd really like to see some Punch-out appearances (on the main roster, but I'll settle for assist trophies).  King Hippo, Bald Bull, even Glass Joe would be fun.  I'd also really like an assist trophy that does nothing but change the background music for a time - like Magikarp but funnier.

I'd say Mii Parade too, but that's going to be the Mii-as-a-playable-character's Final Smash.  (C'mon, it's gonna happen!)
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »
I really like the Metroid-as-an-item idea.

Also, there should be a Federation Trooper as an Assist Trophy.  Would make a good ranged helper.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 09:59:34 AM »
I have to wonder, with a Mario Kart level, do you think there are any characters who could be considered 'from that game?'
I know every Mario character is in Mario Kart, for the most part, but I just couldn't figure out a character that would represent the level.  The best I can come up with is a Lakitu who's special moves are basically the items from in the game, but even that is pushing it.  I guess this could very well mean the end of levels to match characters aside from exclusive Smash-themed levels.

Edit:  Wow, I just noticed this is the wrong thread for this.  Oh well...  

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »
A Fishin' Lakitu assist trophy would be cool.  He would dangle an item that any player could take, after which Lakitu would start following that player and tossing Spiny eggs.  The Spiny eggs would, of course, turn into Spinies that become hazards for everyone to deal with.

I don't see the difference between the Metroid as an item and the Metroid as an assist trophy other than that you'd know it was a Metroid when you saw the item appear.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 11:11:36 AM »

I don't see the difference between the Metroid as an item and the Metroid as an assist trophy other than that you'd know it was a Metroid when you saw the item appear.

And you'd be able to aim for a specific enemy. Plus, if I saw someone running at me with one of those head-humpers in a box, I'd be scared.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 11:53:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot

And you'd be able to aim for a specific enemy. Plus, if I saw someone running at me with one of those head-humpers in a box, I'd be scared.

Hmm, I've been assuming you can throw assist trophies like poke balls, but I guess that doesn't necessarily follow from the writeup.