Author Topic: Nintendo is rising to Heaven  (Read 7361 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Nintendo is rising to Heaven
« on: July 20, 2007, 05:21:11 AM »
I know there was a thread for this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. So here is a new one!!

10 Largest Japanese Companies by Market Cap

1. Toyota (NYSE: TM - News) ¥27.3 trillion ($223.6b)
2. Mitsubishi UFJ (NYSE: MTU - News) ¥14.2 trillion ($116.3b)
3. Mizuho FG (NYSE: MFG - News) ¥9.8 trillion ($80.3b)
4. Canon (NYSE: CAJ - News) ¥9.6 trillion ($78.6b)
5. Mitsui Sumitomo FG ¥8.7 trillion ($71.3b)
6. NTT (NYSE: NTT - News) ¥8.5 trillion ($69.6b)
7. Honda (NYSE: HMC - News) ¥8.35 trillion ($68.4b)
8. NTT DoCoMo (NYSE: DCM - News) ¥8.3 trillion ($81.9b)
9. Nintendo ¥7.5 trillion ($61.4b)
10. Takeda Pharma ¥7.2 trillion ($59b)

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070720/41781_id.html?.v=1

I could see Nintendo pushing up to the #3 spot, but I'm not so sure they can double their current market cap unless they not only expand the videogame market but completely dominate it shutting out all competitors. Either that or expand into other markets....

Hows that movie/animation studio coming along Nintendo?  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo is rising to Heaven
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:27:51 AM »
Wow.  No one is touching Toyota.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:38:51 AM »
I rented a Toyota recently and it was an excellent car.

That aside, most of Toyota's factories are in the US and employ US workers while Ford's are elsewhere in the world. Ironic, eh?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 05:48:28 AM »
If Nintendo truly expanded the market in a big way I could see it reaching towards the top (probably not higher than Toyota?), but assuming it winds up with a more down-to-earth showing (say DS and Wii hit around 100 million each) I'd agree that the top 3 is as high as it can go.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo... Rising To Heaven
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:36:27 PM »
Holy damn.. how are your stocks doing couchmonkey?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:40:53 PM »
Is the title of this thread inspired by the famous Yamauchi quote, that if the DS succeeds Nintendo will rise to the heavens?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
RE:Nintendo... Rising To Heaven
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 01:08:58 PM »
Canon

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 02:23:49 PM »
I thought it was a pun on the literal meaning of their name...see the first section).

I don't know if they'd ever be able to get #1. I looked at a recent list of the US or world's biggest companies (can't remember which), and almost all of them were car or oil companies. Unless Nintendo can make games as widespread as cars and petroleum...  
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »
Sony is not on that list.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 01:15:27 AM »
This is just one more sign that Nintendo is going the way of Sega. I mean, look how weakly they rank in this top 10 list. The only one doing even more poorly than them is "Takeda Pharm", and I've never even heard of them.

Nintendo needs to drop its hardware division and start developing for more popular consoles if it is ever going to dominate that top 10.

/sarcasm off.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 05:00:44 AM »
Well This is very good for a single market company.  I think Nintendo could probably make a little more money licensing out the tech they help develop.  Unless they kick the card side of things up a notch its a none issue and the Pokemon brand of merchandise and the like has seem to have finally slowed it momentum, note not the games.

How can you not take something seriously that has provided so much money for one company?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 05:30:16 AM »
The Wii si selling too well on its own to license out the tech. Maybe once market saturation has finally set in and Wii is the clear and ultimate winner of the livingroom, and the price has dropped to sub $100 to manufacture with Wii Sports & Wii Play built in, you might start seeing the Wii being sold as a DVD player w/ gaming tech inside. But I doubt it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 06:37:08 AM »
Yes but what about the slot loading technology their using and I'm fairly sure their are some non-gaming business applications for the Wiimotes version of pointing technology.  Plus I'm sure they have a lot of little things throughout the year the they have patented that people be interested in.

On a side note I was thinking about the whole Wii Nascar thing and I'm wondering if Nintendo is looking into doing something like what they are doing with their Baseball team and the DS with Nascar and other racing events.  I mean if they are going to continue the DS line it make sense to look into those types of ventures because it gives meaning to a new audience to own one.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 11:41:25 AM »
I wonder if the next Nascar game will have the Wii car in each console's release. That would be awesome, say you're playing on the game on PS3 (shudder), and the Wii car runs laps around your ass.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »
bump....

see the front page or talkback for the update

Looks like the #2 & 3 companies took a dive if Canon moved up to 2nd place(while losing value) and then Nintendo took 2nd from Canon.  

1. Toyota
2. Nintendo - ¥8.34 trillion ($72.7 billion)
3. Canon  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 05:10:23 AM »
Just updating you guys on the slow climb Nintendo has towards the #1 spot

The ticker for Nintendo is 7974, Toyota is 7203.

Nintendo is ~76billion dollars
Toyota is ~214billion

In yen -
Â¥8,868,479,000,000.00
Â¥24,800,680,000,000.00

Exchange rate = 115.82 yen per dollar.

Info is up to the minute thanks to a friend with a Bloomberg terminal.

Here is some more info on Nintendo's recent finances -
http://videolamer.com/index.php/2731

Up 4 Billion US$ in 6 days?  Thats quite impressive. At that reate its only a matter of days before Nintendo is >100Billion in Market Cap.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 06:01:33 AM »
Soon may be an excellent time to sell stakes in Nintendo.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 04:05:24 AM »
I think at Christmas, maybe, although I believe Nintendo is going to continue to surprise folks all the way through next year.  I think the big question is: has Nintendo already won this generation in the mind of investors?  Because if it has, then they don't have much of an upside anymore.  If it has not, then I think the investors will continue to be impressed by the company's performance.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 08:40:29 AM »
You know, when they had the one day down-turn with the announcement of the Wii title I thought 'I wish I had the money to buy that stock today.  They are going to become so freakin rich.'  I've heard stories of some gamers who saw that the DS did, and what it was going to continue to do, and applied that logic to the Wii.  They made out like bandits.

I should have scraped together my savings account.  If I had emptied the 10k bucks I had into Nintendo stock, and sold today.

April 27, 2006: $18.15 ($10,000 = 551 shares)
October 3, 2007: $68.60 (551 shares = $37,796.60)

I'd have made $27k.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 10:55:47 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I think at Christmas, maybe, although I believe Nintendo is going to continue to surprise folks all the way through next year.  I think the big question is: has Nintendo already won this generation in the mind of investors?  Because if it has, then they don't have much of an upside anymore.  If it has not, then I think the investors will continue to be impressed by the company's performance.
The Price/Earnings ratio is getting a little too high for my liking, but I also think that it will keep going up for a while.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 04:46:26 AM »
From IGN

Nintendo Shares Reach All-time High
Plus, there's speculation the company could raise its earnings forecast again.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK
UK, October 3, 2007 - Nintendo's Japanese share value has hit an all-time high as Goldman Sachs slapped a 'buy' rating on the company. Goldman Sachs also noted Nintendo's ability to create new markets "could bring it close to the level of Apple".

Shares in the publisher rose to 64,800 Yen (roughly 274 GBP) before closing at 64,300 Yen (about 272 GBP) on the Japanese stock market yesterday, as reported by Reuters. Once again, strong sales of both Wii and DS were cited as the reason behind the buying frenzy. However, Goldman Sachs predicts that Nintendo's value could sky rocket to 71,000 Yen.

Shares were also boosted by investor speculation that Nintendo is set to raise its earnings forecast, for the third time this financial year. Apparently, there's no end to the public's demand for Wii-mote waggling and stylus stroking.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
Looks like Nintendo has also climbed up another chart, one that used to be dominated by EA, and that would be the Top 20 Publishers list that Nintendo proudly sits in the #1 spot of.

But thats not all,there is are a few other developer/publishers climbing up this chart as they ride the coat-tails that Nintendo is dangling behind them. One in particular is highlighted below, and it is the first time they they have appeared on the chart.

Game Developer magazine’s highly-anticipated annual Top 20 Publishers report has debuted for 2007, revealing that the overall winner has changed hands for the first time since it began.

The 5th annual countdown, which this year included a wide-ranging reputation survey alongside revenue, average review, and anonymous partner feedback, reveals a resurgent Nintendo taking the top spot from former four-time victor Electronic Arts.

This year's winner Nintendo prevailed due to top marks for its game publishing in the reputation survey, alongside competitive revenue and average review score marks, leaving Electronic Arts in second place for the first time ever.

After Nintendo and EA, completing the top five are: Activision, keeping its #3 spot for the second year running; Ubisoft, surging up four spots from #8 to #4,with the company’s early support for Nintendo’s DS and Wii apparently paying off; and THQ moving up two spots to #5, following historically high revenues and a more balanced slate of licensed titles and original games.

Joining the 'Top 20 Publishers' list for the first time is import game publisher Atlus USA, which placed at #18 and helped contribute to publisher Atari dropping off the Top 20 in this year's countdown.

The 2007 rankings were calculated by considering number of releases by SKU, average game review scores, and publisher revenue from August 2006 to July 2007. It also included the results of a survey conducted to gather opinions on the major video game software publishers.

source: Gamasutra

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 05:29:05 PM »
I said wow.

At E3 2005, Reggie said that Nintendo was the second largest software publisher and second largest hardware manufacturer in the world (behind EA and Sony, respectively). Does this mean they are first in both categories now?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 07:59:41 PM »
Reggie, aka "Mastermold" grows stronger by the minute.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline AzureNightmare

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 10:02:15 PM »
Nintendo is now the 2nd most valuable Japanese company in existance, and they continue to creep ever closer to Toyota. Will they achieve the impossible and take the legendary #1 seat? Only time will tell.