Author Topic: s.comWrestlemania 19 screens and info!!!!!  (Read 10454 times)

Offline nas2344

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
s.comWrestlemania 19 screens and info!!!!!
« on: March 21, 2003, 09:30:38 PM »
got iowgames.com and click on news and youll see the link, the game looks good more of aki is working on it this time!!!
dean martin= pure greatness!
frank sinatra=pure garbage!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 09:42:54 PM »
Thanks.  I have a friend who will likely go nuts over that.  Personally though I have absolutely nothing good to say about wrestling games other than the simple fact that they are better than GTA IMO.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 07:43:45 AM »
We had our profile updated days ago with a list of features in the game.  However, unlike these other sites, we chose not to steal the screens from IGN and crop out their watermark.

Besides, we'll have more information soon enough.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline BreakABone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 07:58:41 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
We had our profile updated days ago with a list of features in the game.  However, unlike these other sites, we chose not to steal the screens from IGN and crop out their watermark.

Besides, we'll have more information soon enough.  

I heard the game will be playable at WrestleMania XIx (the event) so I'm figuring that's where IGN and Gamingring will get to go hands on with it, and I'm assured that you are going to the event as well so will you have hands-on impressions of the game as well?

And since I know you are a big wrestling fan, will you give a fair assesstment or whether or not wrestling gaming fans should look forward to this at all, after the game that was WrestleMania x8.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 08:06:04 AM »
hey Rick, what can u tell us about the story mode? from what I read about it on IGN, it sounds kind of ridiculous. the whole notion of getting kicked out of wwe, then exacting revenge on Vinnie Mac by destroying his corporation and whatnot, sounds like something out of a really cheesy Van Damme movie.  

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 08:16:01 AM »
19?
It's X9, not 19...

Offline Nigel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 08:34:02 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
19?
It's X9, not 19...

Not a fan of wrestling eh?  This game looks much more promising then 18, but I'm still skeptical.  Is AKI working on this one?  AKI = good game.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 09:16:17 AM »
there are members of aki supposedly working on X9, along with members of yuke's. but aki is also developing 2 other "wrestlers" for gamecube, def jam vendetta and ultimate muscle.

Offline nas2344

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2003, 09:43:18 AM »
yeah see, aki is still with nintendo!
dean martin= pure greatness!
frank sinatra=pure garbage!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 09:49:58 AM »
Actually, it's XIX, I think- I don't know who chooses how to write the number of each Wrestlemania, but they have got to make up their minds. It's different every year.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 10:46:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak

19?
It's X9, not 19...

The official title is WWE Wrestlemania XIX, just like the PPV name.
Why you call me, Grimlock, stupid?  Me not stupid!

--from the Transformers G1 episode "Grimlock's New Brain", where he gets really smart and creates the Technobots

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2003, 09:28:25 PM »

I heard the game will be playable at WrestleMania XIx (the event) so I'm figuring that's where IGN and Gamingring will get to go hands on with it, and I'm assured that you are going to the event as well so will you have hands-on impressions of the game as well?

And since I know you are a big wrestling fan, will you give a fair assesstment or whether or not wrestling gaming fans should look forward to this at all, after the game that was WrestleMania x8.

Could be.  

hey Rick, what can u tell us about the story mode? from what I read about it on IGN, it sounds kind of ridiculous. the whole notion of getting kicked out of wwe, then exacting revenge on Vinnie Mac by destroying his corporation and whatnot, sounds like something out of a really cheesy Van Damme movie.

Actually, the Story mode is a pretty novel idea.  But if that doesn't float your boat, just remember that this is in ADDITION to the standard "Career" mode, not instead of.  Best of both worlds.  

there are members of aki supposedly working on X9, along with members of yuke's. but aki is also developing 2 other "wrestlers" for gamecube, def jam vendetta and ultimate muscle

Ultimate Muscle is NOT a wrestling game.  It's a fairly generic "fighting" game, centered around wrestling.

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2003, 12:54:03 AM »
I'll be looking forward to impressions!
BTW, what did you think of WM X-8?

Offline BreakABone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2003, 06:08:13 AM »

Actually, the Story mode is a pretty novel idea.  But if that doesn't float your boat, just remember that this is in ADDITION to the standard "Career" mode, not instead of.  Best of both worlds.  

I think the story mode sounds like a unique idea, and it gives us something new as SmackDown: Shut Your Mouth proved, you can get close to it, but it is VERY hard to duplicate an actual WWE storyline in a game. I still prefer the more episodic approach that No Mercy took.

One question since you seem to have some info on the game, does Yukes plan on using those "story" mission levels in the actual game as backstage fighting areas? I mean it means no sense to have them there and not have the ability to use them, and what wrestling fan hasn't dreamt of fighting a match on a yahct....

Ultimate Muscle is NOT a wrestling game.  It's a fairly generic "fighting" game, centered around wrestling.

I thought the game looked interesting, but eh.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2003, 12:52:34 PM »
Personally, I'm excited about the player specific damage. IGN gave an example that if you target your opponents ankle with your attacks, they'll eventually start hobbling around on their weak ankle, and if you keep the attacks up the person will be easier to pin. Really good concept that we've wanted for years in wrestling games and now we're finally getting it.

Also, I have to say the game looks gorgeous for a pre-alpha game.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2003, 06:00:28 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Personally, I'm excited about the player specific damage. IGN gave an example that if you target your opponents ankle with your attacks, they'll eventually start hobbling around on their weak ankle, and if you keep the attacks up the person will be easier to pin. Really good concept that we've wanted for years in wrestling games and now we're finally getting it.

Also, I have to say the game looks gorgeous for a pre-alpha game.

Thats what I like about the AKI games, they had location specific damage to a lesser degree. I remember if I had Chris Benoit I'd always work on my opponents head and arm and when I slapped on the Crippler Crossface they'd give up right away. Unlike Smackdown where you have to repeatedly apply a submission move to get your opponent to give up. The Smackdown series always put submission wrestlers at a disadvantage. Plus I when I created my wrestlers I did pick my submission based on the attacks I gave him/her. If my wrestler had moves that worked on the legs, I'd give him/her a leg submission etc. Plus it adds strategy to the game. I know most of my opponents on No Mercy had a tendency to try to focus on reversing the techniques that concentrated on the arm and head since I had the Triangle Hold as my special submission. That allowed me to hit them with other moves without fear of reprisal

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2003, 06:25:42 AM »
"it is VERY hard to duplicate an actual WWE storyline in a game."

Considering all the weird nonsensical stuff they've been doing lately I imagine it would be impossible.  

"Personally, I'm excited about the player specific damage. IGN gave an example that if you target your opponents ankle with your attacks, they'll eventually start hobbling around on their weak ankle, and if you keep the attacks up the person will be easier to pin."

I really hope they do a good job with this.  I hate it in Fire Pro Wrestling where I'll give my opponent a hundred Dragon Screw Leg Whips and Figure Fours and totally screw up their leg and then I'll apply an ARM BAR and they'll submit.  That sort of stuff shouldn't happen.  One thing that would be really cool is if you're applying a submission move and you're near the ropes you should be able to hold on to the ropes for leverage.  Another cool idea would be that if your opponent makes it to the ropes you don't automatically let go.  You should be able to choose when you let go and let the ref count to five if you want or even DQ you.  Finally I'd like to see the ability to change submission moves in the middle of a move.  Say you have your opponent in an abdominal stretch and then you ride then onto the mat and turn it into a crucifix armbar.  You can keep changing moves to really weaken your opponent and make it harder for them to get to the ropes or reverse the move.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2003, 06:51:28 AM »
I've been playing some "SmackDown: Shut Your Mouth" gearing up for this weekend.  THQ and Yuke's did a lot of things right in Smackdown, but it still needs some work.  I think that seeing some of the things they're proposing for WrestleMania XIX should go a long ways towards improving the title.

Needless to say, as soon as I get a chance to tug someone's ear in a position to affect change, I'll be giving them a LOT of feedback.  But it's looking like I might not have to.  

Anyway, all I can say is that if you guys are wrestling fans, you might want to make sure you keep yourself available in the evenings this weekend.  Although, if you're a little busy around 8PM EST Sunday, I'll understand.  

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2003, 11:48:19 AM »
Wrestlemania party at my house. You're all invited.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BreakABone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2003, 12:58:57 PM »

I've been playing some "SmackDown: Shut Your Mouth" gearing up for this weekend.  THQ and Yuke's did a lot of things right in Smackdown, but it still needs some work.  I think that seeing some of the things they're proposing for WrestleMania XIX should go a long ways towards improving the title.

Needless to say, as soon as I get a chance to tug someone's ear in a position to affect change, I'll be giving them a LOT of feedback.  But it's looking like I might not have to.  

Anyway, all I can say is that if you guys are wrestling fans, you might want to make sure you keep yourself available in the evenings this weekend.  Although, if you're a little busy around 8PM EST Sunday, I'll understand.  

*Checks schedule*

I may be available on Saturday, but most of Sunday is booked up.
We plan on watching a bunch of old WrestleMania tapes to get us pumped for XIX. I don't know which though.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2003, 01:04:13 PM »
"We plan on watching a bunch of old WrestleMania tapes to get us pumped for XIX. I don't know which though."

If you're going to watch old tapes you have to include WM III and X.  Total must-see shows for any fan.  X-7 and VIII are also whomp-ass.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2003, 01:27:53 PM »
hey IanSane, u talk about watching old tapes of mania's past to get hyped for XIX, well let me suggest WM3. not only did u have the main event between hulk and andre, but also one of my favorite matches of all-time between randy savage and ricky steamboat for the IC title.  

Offline Nintendo_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2003, 10:43:14 PM »
Its X9 because WWe is trying to be cutting edge, lame huh?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2003, 04:55:39 AM »
Well, first of all, it's NOT "X9".  It's WrestleMania XIX.

Offline K-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2003, 04:21:34 PM »
The pictures are great, don't get me wrong but I was a little more surprised when I saw WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth. These pics look like a cartoon, lol.
Australia -4- Life

i know who you are...
...the leader of my soul...
...you can't kill me...
...im immortal!!!