Author Topic: Advanced Wars Series of Games  (Read 32483 times)

Offline Terranigma Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Advance Wars Series of Games
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 11:00:28 AM »
So... 90% of the population's dead, and we having a war to speed up human extinction? COOL!!!!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:27 AM »
I think it's fitting that Advance Wars: Dual Strike launched alongside a major nongame in Nintendogs and now Days of Ruin will launch alongside a major nongame in Endless Ocean.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Advance Wars Series of Games
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 10:21:12 PM »
Advance Wars in January... Smash Bros in February? That is so, so horrible for me... why couldn't they space those out? ;_; I will be playing both of them for like eternity too...

Oh yeah, and this game looks so awesome:

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE:Advance Wars Series of Games
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Then we shall fight in the shade!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 07:08:43 AM »
Does this game have online play?  I'll buy it regardless.  I just hope they give us at least six months before Fire Emblem is released.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 02:00:32 PM »
Online play confirmed. Battles and map sharing. Puchase confirmed. A shame, I didn't want to buy this game after seeing the new terrible art style.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 02:46:02 PM »
Mario> Source?

Nm, I see IGN has an article... that's likely it.

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Advance Wars Series of Games: Next Title - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 12:43:35 AM »
i am curious what the turn towards a more serious style was about. it seems to me that they could have made another light AWS game and then a full up command and conquer type 'real' game and both would have sold (at least to this guy)

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2007, 12:54:02 AM »
Probably:

1) Finally updating assets... sure I would have bought it had they just reused sprites again, but they would have been knocked in reviews and by some for it.
2) Means to strip "features" like over the top CO powers.  If CO powers are more subdued then the focus of the match becomes more of a tactical one as you just can't rely on your power to bail you out.
3) Means of just "keeping it fresh", both for the dev team and for the folks that eventually play it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 03:27:34 AM »
Perhaps they also wanted to kick some old units out for balance reasons (or jsut to go for a different style of play) and people would fault them for it because it would have been a straight port job to keep them in. Personally I'm hoping they cut back on the heavy tanks and improve infantry gameplay.

BTW, anyone play World in conflict? That has a unit selection that seems straight out of AW.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Advance Wars Series of Games: Next Title - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 04:27:12 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
BTW, anyone play World in conflict? That has a unit selection that seems straight out of AW.

It's Amazon's Deal of the Day, and it's sorely tempting me (even though the deal merely brings the price down from "you must be kidding" to "acceptable").

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 03:41:10 PM »
Intel that I can muster from what we have so far:

Units seem to have rankings I, II, Ace... likely as a result of surviving enough battles (similar to Age of Empires and other games).  The result of the ranking will likely be a slight stat boost.

New terrain "types" such as scorched earth, as well as terrain "skins"

KDR:  Looks like most the tanks are back save the NEO Tank, but quite frankly I'm glad to see that go.
Also gone are middle torsos

Units:

Infantry
Mechs
Motorbike Infantry
APCs
Recon

Light Tanks
Heavy Tanks
Mega Tanks
Anti-Air
G-G Rockets
G-A Missiles
Artillery

Carriers
Cruisers
Submarines
Battleships
Landers

Bombers
Fighters
Transport Copters
Attack Copters

Assets:
HQ
Cities
Bases
Naval Ports
Airports
Towers?
Radars?
Silos

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 05:29:41 AM »
Isn't the MBT a medium tank?

Party Bear: It's worth it.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
(I went ahead and ordered it, so I hope so.)

It looks to me like they're simply renaming the medium tank to heavy tank.  I like the motorcycles, but it seems like they won't be significantly different from recons, which already have limited uses.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 06:22:40 AM »
Anyone who's seen Venus Wars will know that Motorcycles are awesome anti-tank weapons.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 06:57:21 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
I like the motorcycles, but it seems like they won't be significantly different from recons, which already have limited uses.
If by limited you mean can totally annihilate infantry then I'm inclined to agree with you.  

So what do the new motorcycle units do?  (i.e. what do they offer that current units don't already?)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2007, 07:53:41 AM »
Limited doesn't mean the same thing as zero, you know.

In a more complicated game, I might think that motorcycles could move better on unpaved surfaces than recons, but in AW, it's the wheels vs. tracks vs. legs that determine that, and motorcycles have wheels.  I doubt they'll change that feature.  My best guess is that the motorcycles are cheaper than recons and have lower defense, which would be quite weak, so I'm hoping that recons have better armor this time around.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »
I know, I'm just saying.  They're so cheap I tend to spam them quite frequently.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »
Motorcycles are still infantry and can capture cities...

Recons cannot

Big enough for me.

Recons are also a huge asset in fog of war and that's the best way to be playing these maps most of the time anyways.  The bike infantry will likely not be able to scale mountains (thus no +3 vision boost), etc, etc.

Subtleties abound.

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »
recons are also a good way to build meter in AW: DS, 1 recon death = 1 star

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 11:39:45 PM »
Mechanized infantry has its own moveclass even though it'd use wheels or tracks on its troop carrier for movement. Wouldn't be a big stretch to give the bike its own moveclass.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 01:37:20 AM »
Well there are the following classes for movement:

Inftry (Infantry)
Bzka (Mechs)
Tire A (Tires Group A)
Tire B (Tires Group B)
Tank (Threads Likely)
Air (Airplanes and Copters)
Ship (Naval Units)
Trpt (Transport Units like the Lander/APC/T-copter)

I'll note the now two grouping of tires (don't remember that) and the separate grouping for transport vehicles.  The Tires A and B is likely where they could bin Recons/Motorcycles in a different group than say missiles.

In other words recons (essentially jeeps) might be able to make it though forests a little better now... here's hoping.

Extra note:  Cities list a G * N * A for Recovery with "G" Highlighted.  Obviously they stand for recovery of ground, naval, and air units.  However the use of a reference may mean that there are properties that can recover multiple types.

Edit: I just found a shot that lists the motorbikes as "Tire B" and with a "Infantry" type meaning they can capture bases.  Recons are listed as "Tire A" and "Vehicles" ... so maybe no go on that forest thing

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2007, 07:11:44 AM »
There's no way the transport heli and the transport ship can have the same moveclass as the APC.

I wish they'd balance basic infantry as it's in World in Conflict (standard infantry can attack any target, not very effectively but still capable of killing a heli or two and AT squads just rape tanks if they can get some good cover).

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2007, 08:00:12 AM »
I agree that infantry units need tweaking.  The bazookas in AW have always seemed too weak to me.  I also wouldn't mind seeing infantry get more defense against big guns, as if they had dug in, to add another wrinkle to the strategy.

I'm not sure what to think of motorcycle infantry.  I assume that means they can move a lot farther than regular infantry, which will speed up capturing.  That just seems like something that could change the game drastically.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »
Mechs are "weak" because if they were any stronger they would need to be more expensive in order to stop players from spamming the entire board them.