Author Topic: PS2 Getting Wii’d?!  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
PS2 Getting Wii’d?!
« on: June 26, 2007, 02:45:44 PM »
PS2: Wii Edition

Have you guys seen this?!

If Sony drops the PS3, and instead releases a PS2.5 (with Wii features) they may indeed become the market leader again.... but wouldn't this piss a lot of people off? It would be interesting to see what might happen.  
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: PS2 Getting Wii’d?!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
it would probably make a dent in wii sales, but would also make a dent in ps3 sales. If anything developers who have proven timae and again that their lazy will only update existing ps2 games with new controls and call it new, also they will probably port wii games, which were already ported to wii from ps2 to ps2 because devlopers have gotten dumb
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:PS2 Getting Wii’d?!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »
Denial or not there's no way it was going to happen.

Nintendo already stated that the Wii controller was going to originally be a add-on for the GC but the system wasn't powerful enough to actually play games with it in anything near real time. Considering the GC was quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 who in their right mind would actually believe that the PS2 could?

Then again, the mainstream market seems to be under the impression that the PS2 was more powerful than the GC so I guess it's really possible that quite a number of people (stupid people) would believe it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Denied.

That's good news for Nintendo because this could have been a serious threat to Wii domination... it doesn't mean the PS3 won't see something like that, though.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »

Originally posted by: denjet78

Nintendo already stated that the Wii controller was going to originally be a add-on for the GC but the system wasn't powerful enough to actually play games with it in anything near real time. Considering the GC was quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 who in their right mind would actually believe that the PS2 could?

Then again, the mainstream market seems to be under the impression that the PS2 was more powerful than the GC so I guess it's really possible that quite a number of people (stupid people) would believe it.

You have a good point, except that this wasn't just a PS2 but a new edition of the PS2, and as a result it could have featured more advanced hardware that would have been backwards compatible with the PS2 but would be more advanced for the motion sensing games, just like how the Wii is similarly a souped up GC.

But wait a minute... let's re-examine Kairon's link for a moment. The denial says this: "This rumor is absolutely not true. There are currently no plans to add motion-sensing capability to the PlayStation 2 controller."

Sony may be telling the truth, but they could release a wiimote accessory for the PS2 without it adding anything to the PS2's controller, right? Also, it is possible they could release a souped up PS2 and not even refer to it as the PS2, but instead give it some new name like Nintendo did with the Wii. If they go about things either of these ways then the rumor could be true and Sony wouldn't have actually lied with that denial.

So I'm no longer sure the denial really disproves anything....
is your sanity...

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost

You have a good point, except that this wasn't just a PS2 but a new edition of the PS2, and as a result it could have featured more advanced hardware that would have been backwards compatible with the PS2 but would be more advanced for the motion sensing games, just like how the Wii is similarly a souped up GC.

But wait a minute... let's re-examine Kairon's link for a moment. The denial says this: "This rumor is absolutely not true. There are currently no plans to add motion-sensing capability to the PlayStation 2 controller."

Sony may be telling the truth, but they could release a wiimote accessory for the PS2 without it adding anything to the PS2's controller, right? Also, it is possible they could release a souped up PS2 and not even refer to it as the PS2, but instead give it some new name like Nintendo did with the Wii. If they go about things either of these ways then the rumor could be true and Sony wouldn't have actually lied with that denial.

So I'm no longer sure the denial really disproves anything....

I didn't see anything said about a new PS2 model. All I saw mentioned was a new controller. But it is true that they could still be building one even with their denial. But putting more money into a new PS2 model instead of just designing and building it as a PS3 accessory from the get go doesn't make all that much sense. Besides, if they were making a new PS2 model that means the controller would be useable only by those new model systems. They wouldn't have the 100+ million user base to sell to. The system would basically be starting from scratch and that's just plain idiotic. Sure it can play all PS2 games but the new games made for it won't be playable on all those already existing PS2s... and they might not be compatible with the PS3 either. At least not without another hardware revision, and that means everyone that already bought a PS3 gets the finger. But since when has Sony ever shied away from doing that before?  

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »
A PS2 souped up to be like the Wii (from now on I'll refer to this hypothetical console as Pii) would have every advantage the Wii has, but it would also have the added bonus of being reverse compatible with the vast library of PS2 games in existence. So even though a Pii would have to start from scratch, this makes it no different than the Wii. It would steal the Wii's thunder, and probably generate a large amount of profit.

As I think about it I'm not sure if it would be a brilliant move or an incredibly stupid one for Sony. I mean, on one hand they want the PS3 to succeed and all, but on the other hand the PS3's future isn't that bright and maybe killing it off as quickly as possible and working on something like a Pii would make more sense. A Pii with optional Blu-ray capability (but not required) might be the best of both worlds for them. It would help them make inroads in the HD war, but be far less expensive than the PS3.
is your sanity...

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »
I know Sony likes to rip off Nintendo but come on . . . that would just be TOO blatant.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 06:48:57 PM »
This can't be true.

You would have to retrofit too much on the PS2.
My guess this is the next "PSX 1.5"?

Any one remember that?
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:22:29 PM »

A PS2 souped up to be like the Wii (from now on I'll refer to this hypothetical console as Pii) would have every advantage the Wii has, but it would also have the added bonus of being reverse compatible with the vast library of PS2 games in existence. So even though a Pii would have to start from scratch, this makes it no different than the Wii. It would steal the Wii's thunder, and probably generate a large amount of profit.

As I think about it I'm not sure if it would be a brilliant move or an incredibly stupid one for Sony. I mean, on one hand they want the PS3 to succeed and all, but on the other hand the PS3's future isn't that bright and maybe killing it off as quickly as possible and working on something like a Pii would make more sense. A Pii with optional Blu-ray capability (but not required) might be the best of both worlds for them. It would help them make inroads in the HD war, but be far less expensive than the PS3.

Sony won't scrap the PS3. They've already invested their entire future in it. Plus, they'd be screwing every developer that had thrown any funds behind PS3 development, meaning all of them. No 3rd party would make a single game for their new system knowing that at any moment Sony might toss the system aside for something they think will sell better. Think FFXIII or MGS4 will just be moved to the new PS2.5? Hell no! Developers would simply halt all Sony projects and never look back. Money hats be damned.

They've already drawn far too many people into their web of stupidity. To back out now would be absolute suicide. If they want to make a Wii style controller for the already existing PS2 or PS3 that's one thing. To come out with a whole new system though... Remember how people felt they got shafted by Sega? Now magnify that by a thousand fold and that's probably about the level or fallout that will hit Sony if they pulled an idiotic move like this.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 08:27:16 PM »

The PS2 1.5 would NOT have every advantage the Wii has. The Wii has a HUGE head start and games are finally being developed for it, the PS2 Wii Edition, would have none of that going for it. Not to mention that if it was rushed out, there could be some big problems with hardware compatibility, not to mention a severe lack of games utilizing its features. It would be basically Sony starting from scratch again which would not be smart, especially since the release date of this PS2 1.5 probably would be a year or two off (I really doubt they could get the hype started, or games developed for it within a few months). By the time it does come out, the Wii would be so far ahead of it, no one will care.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
Yeah, you guys are right. I'm convinced it would be a really stupid thing, but do the Sony executives know that? Some of the things they've done recently have been pretty stupid.

In any case, I think there is a good chance they are working on a Wii type controller for the PS3. I think by the end of the year we'll probably hear something on that, but it may come as too little too late for them.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 02:27:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Galford
This can't be true.

You would have to retrofit too much on the PS2.
My guess this is the next "PSX 1.5"?

Any one remember that?

That was my thought exactly.  Keep all the DVR abilities and the like.  It was mentioned at one point that part of the Playstation Netword for the PS3 would be compatible with the PSX vy firmware type updates.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 06:27:25 AM »

That may sound bizarre, but EGM has a pretty good track record when it comes to this kind of thing.

Bullsh!t, EGM has a 48% accuracy rate on their rumors, and the only reason its that high is because they do stupid rumors like "Their will be a sequel to Madden"
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
I always thought it was pretty obvious EGM makes up half the rumors on their own.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 08:47:09 AM »

what? do you have a link or something? I called this BS, the GC could manage a remote perfectly, I see no reason to not be possible, graphics are the ones consuming most of the processing power, the rest is minimal.

Anyway, I actually find amazing that companies haven't started to copy the remote, I guess most people in the industry are still dumbfounded by the console's success and still think is a fad, or the technology is really hard to emulate without breaking the patents, but I don't think thats the case.

That would be no threat to Nintendo anyway, the success is not only in the remote but in the way they sell the whole package, just copying the remote wouldn't be enough. Even if the competitors did it right, Nintendo already has the advantage of market share, it would take a lot of bad decisions in the company to let someone else steal their thunder.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 08:48:58 AM »
What do you mean they haven't started copying?!?!?!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 10:28:28 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
I called this BS, the GC could manage a remote perfectly, I see no reason to not be possible, graphics are the ones consuming most of the processing power, the rest is minimal.

It was a long, long time ago. I think around the time they fist showed the Wii remote. Basically they said they were having issues with lag. The system just wasn't able to process the information fast enough. Most likely because it was being transmitted through a controller input adapter. It takes time for the information to hit the adapter, get sent to the system, be processed and the transmitted into action on the screen. A lot more time than it would if the receiving chip was built right into the main board.

Which is also why I don't see this working for Sony at all, even if it's a PS3 add-on. They didn't build the system to ensure that the controller data wouldn't be subject to lag, something Nintendo was very specific about removing as much as possible. Any kind of Wii remote type controller on the PS3 will probably suffer from lag rather badly. I dunno if they could rectify that with a system update though. I think Nintendo built some really specific hardware into the Wii just to get it working right. A software patch for the PS3probably won't be anywhere near as helpful or viable.

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »

Wow... a lot of people seem to think that that's not a direct Wii rip-off when in actuality it is. They even modeled the hand held part almost exactly like the Wii's nunchuck. I actually think that this is probably the only way that Sony would be able to throw Wiimote type control into the PS3. Using a mouse to move around on the screen requires a hell of a lot less data than the system the Wii is using. However, the Wii's system is still head and shoulder's above it in terms of ease of use and functionality. Sure people are used to using a mouse by now but how many actually play PC games regularly? Pointing at the screen makes a while hell of a lot more sense in that regard. And also... aren't you going to need somewhere to sit that thing? Like a computer table? Far away from the living room, which just happens to be the room that Sony is trying to take over?

But once again we see how Sony fans call Nintendo stupid while praising ANYONE who rips off the Wiimote and brings its functionality to them.

Morons...

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »

But once again we see how Sony fans call Nintendo stupid while praising ANYONE who rips off the Wiimote and brings its functionality to them.

Morons...

I you. :3

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 11:27:21 AM »
Yeah clearly that device is NOTHING like the Wiimote and nunchuck at all. Clearly.

/facepalm

Stupid Sony fanboys.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 12:52:47 PM »

There are two main disadvantages over the wii controller:

1.) It is a third party addon.

2.) It is an addon and not included with the system's purchase
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »
Not gonna work, the PS2 is getting phased out and we're talking about an add-on that few of the users would have. Also keep in mind that software is a critical aspect, Sony would need something as simple yet effective as Wii Sports.