Author Topic: New Pac-Man on Virtual Console..  (Read 5780 times)

Offline ShreddersDojo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Pac-Man on Virtual Console..
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:35:01 PM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/05/pac-man-championship-edition-for-xbox-360-is-the-big-news/

I would get a 360 for this alone as a Pac-Man fan....but I would hope that eventually it's going to find it's way onto other consoles..

title edit

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: New Pac-Man on xbox live
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:01:24 AM »
yeah, I want it on the VC too.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:53:41 AM »
I'm actually pretty temped to buy it. Makes me kind of happy I held off buying Normal Pac-Man on Xbox Live.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:New Pac-Man on xbox live
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:57:38 AM »
I sure hope it is a better game than the original.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »
The original was great.. it was just too dull with the same maze over and over again.  At least Mrs.Pac-Man added a bit of challenge and variety to it...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »
I was hyped when I first heard about this because I thought it was going to be the original championship Pac Man that had a 5th ghost and such...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 05:04:27 AM »
I want a remake of Pac-Man vs. on the virtual console with online play.  With an additional mode that allows for the Gameboy Pac-Man vs mode.  The one where ghosts eaten are sent to your opponents board.

Hell, that would be fun.

But I will admit I am kinda jealous of this game.  Pac-Man is such a simple classic you have to love it.

Offline RawsteelUT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 04:55:49 AM »
VC games with online play, you make me laugh.  If we get an online-enabled Pac-Man at all, it'll probably be on a Namco Museum compilation.

As to Pac-Man Championship Edition, it fails because it only has timed games.
You got nine lives?  Well I got ten shots.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 06:16:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
With an additional mode that allows for the Gameboy Pac-Man vs mode.  The one where ghosts eaten are sent to your opponents board.

What?!?

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 04:18:38 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

With an additional mode that allows for the Gameboy Pac-Man vs mode.  The one where ghosts eaten are sent to your opponents board.

What?!?

I read it on one of the IGN Blog pages.  I think maybe Bozon's or Peer's.

It was an old Gameboy Pac Man game, but it had a verse mode where when you ate the ghosts it sent them to the other players boards.

Now imagine you have a game like that that supported 4 player Pac Man action.  With 4 players when you eat one of the 4 ghosts each is sent to a different players board...still allowing a potential total of 8 ghosts against one person.  Anyway, I think this is a great VS mode idea that needs to be created again and explored again.

Also I would love the idea that a Pac Man game has Pac Man grow up.  From Baby Pac Man eat enough pellots and become Pac Man Junior, eat enough become Pac Man, and eventually Super Pac Man.  

Each character has different characteristics and "abilities."  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:45 PM »
I want that GB game.....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 09:27:26 PM »
If Pac Man eats enough he becomes Mrs. Pac Man.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 01:52:53 AM »
Ha...well you could have the player choose male and female, and then do that.

I dunno.  I just think a cute little change to the Pac Man franchise like that wouldn't hurt the theme of the overall game and would be fun.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:53:32 AM »

I read it on one of the IGN Blog pages.  I think maybe Bozon's or Peer's.

Craig's.  I know that because I stumbled across it while looking him up on Wikipedia because I was trying to remember who the editor of IGN Pocket was.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 04:37:42 AM »
I cannot seem to find anything about this mysterious Pac Man Game Boy game.  I have the Game Boy Color "Special Color Edition" that came with Pac Attack (I think that's it... whatever the crappy 'puzzle' game was called) and I don't believe it had any such mode...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 05:37:48 AM »
Go through Craig's Blog at IGN.  He will tell you exactly what game it is.  It is pretty rare though, or so he made it sound.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 07:39:02 AM »
Pac-Man CE on XBLA is great.  I think it's a bit steep for $10, but I got it last night and I'm having a blast with it.

Companies with classic game libraries would do well to take the formula of old gameplay with new twists.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 09:01:13 AM »
UncleBob, I'm fairly confident that the game he's talking about is either Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-man for the Game Boy.  In at least Ms. Pac-man, there's a two player mode, and I specifically recall reading about the vs. style competition with the Game Boy games in Nintendo Power.  It is the originals, though, and not the edition with Pac-attack, as far as I know.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 12:51:19 PM »

Go through Craig's Blog at IGN.  He will tell you exactly what game it is.

Link.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 03:35:44 PM »
Hey Links are better Thanks MarioAllStar.

I like the idea of infusing classic games with new ideas and modern game play concepts...but you have to make sure it FEELS and plays like the originals, if it doesn't then it is not that classic game, it is a very hard blend.

Personally, this is a passion of mine, and I would love to recreate classic game play and traditional games with the addition of modern twists and gameplay ideas.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 12:10:23 AM »
That's crazy.  It is the special color edition that I already have.  I just picked up a second one on eBay... now to try this out...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 04:38:27 PM »
Dude!  I got my second copy of the Pac-Man Special Color Edition in the mail today and I'll be darned, it's in there!

This is spiffy cool... now if only I had someone to play it with as my wife has absolutly zero interest in playing Pac-Man with me.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »
Now I'm wondering... the Ms. Pac Man Special Color Edition has a 2-Player mode... but it plays on one Game Boy (passing it around).  I wonder if it'd play differently with two copies connected together.

Triple post.  Whoo!

Offline Uncle Bob

• Bob-to-go
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 10:55:07 AM »
Well, first let me say... QUAD POST! whoo!

Anywhoo, got to play the old GameBoy version at work today with a friend. It's pretty darn cool. We played 3-4 matches and I won everyone one.  At one point, I was just crusin' around my maze with no ghosts while he had eight on his screen and had already eaten all of his power pellets. HA!  The concept is *great*, but it needs some fine tuning to make it perfect (example, GBC screen is too small and forces you to scroll as you can only see part of the map at a time. Also, the case I mentioned above sucks for the other player.) But seriously, I'd love to see this idea reinvisioned for a multi-player Pac-Man.

To be fair though, Pac-Man vs. Is one of my most favorite multi-player games ever... So it's a given that I'd like something like this...

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 11:00:46 AM »
Pac Man Vs.  is one of your most favorite multi-player games ever because it is one of the best multi-player games ever.  Hands down.