Author Topic: Planet Puzzle League  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Gorgonian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Planet Puzzle League
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »
Picked this one up at Best Buy on the way home today.  Always been a fan of Tetris Attack on SNES.  This game is the same game, but with stylus move-input support, wifi play, voice chat (!), and great reviews from a few sites already.  Played a couple of online matches and I'm undefeated baby.

One of my gripes for Meteos (which has a similar feel to PPL) is that the block don't contrast enough.  Not a problem in PPL.  The blocks are very high contrast.  Very easy game on the eyes.  I am thrilled.

Anyone else?

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
RE: Planet Puzzle League
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:02:26 AM »
It's tetris attack. you can't mess it up.

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 06:15:58 AM »
Oh it's very possible to screw it up.  Meteos bungled a whole lot of things that PPL does very well, for instance:

A) easily distinguishable blocks
B) internet play
C) variety of game play modes

Offline familycircus

• View Profile
RE:Planet Puzzle League
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 02:09:25 PM »
Picked up my copy yesterday. I am loving it. The stylus works really well with the game. My only problem with the game is that it has no story mode. When I play a CPU I like to have a name and face to yell at.

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:18:43 PM »
I am completely addicted to score attack mode.  My high score is 6670.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 10:03:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Gorgonian
Oh it's very possible to screw it up.  Meteos bungled a whole lot of things that PPL does very well, for instance:

A) easily distinguishable blocks
B) internet play
C) variety of game play modes

None of those things bothered me. The only game I didn't like with a meteos name in it is the cellphone version of Meteos and Disney Magic where the Meteos: DM was a nice time to implement an online mode but they didn't and somehow they made it more generic by plastering disney faces all over everything.  The original Meteos did have distinguishable blocks so I have no idea how you came up with that. Also Meteos came out during a time where Nintendo was probably making and implementing the WiFi Connection so how can Q? entertainment "bungle" that up if it came out during a time where the WFC did not even exist?

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »
Sorry, PPL, but I'm in no rush to buy you. I prefer the Tetris Attack paint job that Panel de Pon received, with the music and the blargs and the awesomeness. VC purchase sooooo guaranteed.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:22:36 PM »
It'll probably not get released with any Tetris references since that name costs good money and comes with rules attached that would prrobably not permit calling PDP a Tetris game.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »
You mean: DO NOT WANT!

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 03:52:17 AM »
I thought touch screen support would be a crutch, but the implementation is perfect.  It's going to be very difficult to go back to d-pad and buttons.  I do admit to missing the fairies from Panel De Pon, but I guess you can't have everything.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 07:17:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
The original Meteos did have distinguishable blocks so I have no idea how you came up with that.
Maybe he's color-blind?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 07:26:26 AM »
Well most of my experience is with Meteos Disney.  The blocks in that one are far worse than the blocks in the original.  However, the blocks in PPL are way better than both.  Maybe it's just what I'm used to with Tetris Attack, but it is just much easier on my eyes.  I don't think you can argue about Meteos Disney, though (and yes, I realize I didn't specify that in my original post(s)).  The blocks are atrocious in that one.

Anyway, about PPL, I still think this game is terrific.  I almost broke 7000 on score attack mode, but settled for 6952.  I saw on youtube a guy get 58,000, so I know I still suck, but I'm having a lot of fun regardless.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 03:22:39 AM »
I am very excited about this game...but I hope for a budget price for it...or at least cheaper.  I could never bring myself to buy Tetris for the DS because of its price.

However, Plant Puzzle League is one of my favorite all time puzzle games.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 04:00:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
I am very excited about this game...but I hope for a budget price for it...or at least cheaper.  I could never bring myself to buy Tetris for the DS because of its price.

Huh?  Didn't Tetris DS come out for $20?  Did I get an Amazing Deal at Best Buy without even realizing it?

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »
OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS CRACK. I've owned it for almost 30 hours now and I've played it for more then 10 of those hours. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Panel de Pon in any of its previous incarnations and I'm sad for my past self that didn't know the joy that is this game. I love setting up all these chains and visualizing where the blocks will fall before they do and watching your best laid plans come to fruition. I haven't even tried anything other then Endless mode because it's so good. I'm gonna practice some more before I go online, but this is definitely the best game released for the DS this year so far. That's right Pokemon, I said it.  

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 05:46:26 AM »
You should try score attack mode.  That is the crack for me.  My high score is up to 16,100.  Still not great compared to what I've seen in some youtube videos, but I'm happy with my improvement.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 06:37:34 PM »
My Endless high score is forty-four-thousand-something. And I'll get around to trying other modes, count on it.  

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 07:42:28 AM »
I've played endless exactly twice and my high score is 70,933.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 07:51:25 AM »
I'll have to try endless now that I have the game.  It should be fun.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 03:55:52 AM »
I would get it if I wasn't burned out of puzzle games, because even though puzzle quest is amazing it burned me out of puzzle games for a while maybe If I can pick this one cheap I'll get it then.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
I saw this game in my head while having sex! No, really! So much fun. I used to be really good at the game when it was called Tetris Attack with endless scores clean in the 200's. I don't know how good my score of 80,692 is in relation to the previous game.

This game is so CRACK!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130