Author Topic: Steven Spielberg Wii exclusive  (Read 36465 times)

Offline zakkiel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Steven Spielberg Wii exclusive
« on: May 09, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »
EA has Steven Spielberg producing a Wii game, and it's scheduled for this fiscal year. link Fifth paragraph down. Sorry if this is in a thread somewhere already.  
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Steven Spielberg Wii exclusive
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
I assume since it's coming from a Hollywood director that it will be story driven, rather than a collection of minigames.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RE: Steven Spielberg Wii exclusive
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 01:14:20 PM »
He's bringing ET for the 2600 to the Virtual Console =(.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
Wasn't he playing WiiSports with Miyamoto at E3?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Yes.
Thanks for listening.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:55:03 AM »
'Enter the Matrix' says hi.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:01 AM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar

Originally posted by: IceCold

Yes.

Spielberg is too cool for wrist straps! (And, are those wired Wii remotes? Why don't they just reinforce that cord, then set up some displays in stores with it???)

Back on topic, I'm curious to see what comes of this. If Spielberg is given full control (as I'm sure he would demand), we could be in for something cool.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:04:51 AM »
Fun Factoid:  His Dad was a Computer Scientist and worked for Honeywell back in the day.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:04:53 AM »
Didn't Spielberg help make The Dig?  That game turned out to be pretty good so there's some hope.  But then that was a LucasArts SCUMM game and this is EA.  Still my main beef with EA is that their designs are usually bland and uncreative as their mainstream focused business practices prevent them from doing anything interesting.  They make well designed games that are dull as dirt.  But Spielberg doesn't make dull stuff.  His films often have huge mainstream appeal but they are rarely dull.  He would probably not want "his game" to be so generic.  

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 01:14:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
He's bringing ET for the 2600 to the Virtual Console =(.

Aww I was hoping we could at least make it five posts before someone made an ET joke.    
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 03:22:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Didn't Spielberg help make The Dig?  That game turned out to be pretty good so there's some hope.  But then that was a LucasArts SCUMM game and this is EA.  Still my main beef with EA is that their designs are usually bland and uncreative as their mainstream focused business practices prevent them from doing anything interesting.  They make well designed games that are dull as dirt.  But Spielberg doesn't make dull stuff.  His films often have huge mainstream appeal but they are rarely dull.  He would probably not want "his game" to be so generic.

Supposedly, it's entirely original, like nothing we've seen before.

Not sure what that means. Setting? Premise? Story? Gameplay?
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »
wasn't his most recent 'completely original' project the movie AI?
I'll shut up now...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »
That wasn't completely original AT ALL. That was a Stanley Kubrick project he was finishing up because the guy keeled over and died... AND it was completely underappreciated. THE ENDING ROCKED GUYS! Seriously!

Edit: Old Habits Die Hard
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 07:53:09 PM »
I begin to wonder if my posts are more serious than KIE-RAWN's these days.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 02:40:44 AM »
Now we are talking AI, I have an opinion on that.

AI is a brilliant movie for the first half.  In fact the "first ending" The Stanley Kubrick ending was brilliant.  Emotional, powerful and easily made it one of the greatest Sci-Fi stories about artificial life ever created.  

Then Speilberg had to go screw it up with his style of happy endings.  He couldn't end the movie as a tragedy so he decides to completely jump shark, move the picture even further into the future, just to revive our character, and give him a happy ending.  STUPID, HORRIBLE...and completely ruined the themes and message of the movie.

Anyone who has seen AI knows exactly where the movie should have ended, without me even having to describe the scene.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 08:17:10 PM »
What's so bad about the ending to A.I.?!?!? I mean, c'mon! He's a robot, and he's just doing what he was programmed to do. That's not a happy ending. It's an ironic one... especially since he'll be the keystone to what those who discovered him know about us. HALEY JOEL OSMONT will be our message to eternity!!!

Edit: AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »
Remember when Evan used to hang out here and and set us straight on movies? Sigh, those were the days...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »
No the bad part of the ending, is that the Super powerful robotic alien species that comes out of no where in the story comes and finds the robotic boy.  The Robots have apparently evolved to be basically living, emotional, human beings.  And they scan the boys memory and gives him the one thing he wants in life, being loved by his mother...even though it isn't real.

The whole point of the movie was to answer the question could we create a machine that could love, and would humanity accept that machine as a true life form or would it always be a machine, a man made creation.

The answer in the movie was truthful and dark...that mankind would always look at machines as just tools or toys for their pleasure...they could never have the true emotion of love towards them...but they doomed that Android to love in a loveless society.  

And in the end, his hope and faith (which is essential to love) leds him on a hopeless quest to find the love that doesn't exist for him.

Spielberg took that ending.  That deeply sharp, painful, and beautiful ending.  And throws in this crazy happy ending that makes little since, just so we can feel so relief for the protagonist.

It flat out ruined the film.  And I stand that there are two endings to the film.  The Stanley Kubrick ending, and the Spielberg ending.  One is great...and one really ruins the entire point of the movie.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 05:35:00 AM »
Mega Man was outraged by Speelbarg.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 06:00:58 AM »
Ah, very good explanation Spakkie. I can see where you're coming from now... even though I loves me a happy ending.

edit: blargh

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 06:07:44 AM »
I usually love happy endings...and I have a friend that loves AI and we debate this point all the time.  He completely disagrees.  He loves the ending of AI, but does agree there seems to be two endings...yet he really likes that the movie takes a turn for the more traditional Speilberg ending...since most people will go into the movie not knowing what they were getting themselves into.

And in all honesty, Speilberg probably created a movie that Kubrick could have never achieved.  And it is one of the finest true Science Fiction movies America has produced.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
"Anyone who has seen AI knows exactly where the movie should have ended, without me even having to describe the scene."

For me it should have ended at the box office with me buying a ticket to a different movie.  But then it was in the previews that I first saw any footage from Fellowship of the Ring so that could be worth the money right there.

Speilburg's films having sucky ending has been a trend for a while now.  A.I., Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can and Munich all reached this point where I thought the film had ended and thought to myself "that was pretty good" and then the film just kept going for like half an hour.  Every one of those films had me looking at my watch thinking "when is this thing over?" which I would consider a big no-no for films.  The audience shouldn't be impatiently waiting for a film to end.  I though Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can were good enough overall that even with drawn out conclusions they're still good but the endings ruined the other two for me.

"And in all honesty, Speilberg probably created a movie that Kubrick could have never achieved. And it is one of the finest true Science Fiction movies America has produced."

What about Planet of the Apes?  That's got a dark sci-fi ending that's just perfect.  "YOU BASTARDS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »
What's with people not liking these Spielberg endings? I didn't notice anything wrong with any of the movies you mentioned IanSane(except for A.I., which I liked but must admit was completely something else).

Its... it's people like you that keep me from getting a satisfying denoument!!!

P.S. By generalizing your views, you'd probably hate Earthbound... and RPGs in general?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane For me it should have ended at the box office with me buying a ticket to a different movie.

You get points for that.

All you have to do now is pick up a Wii and you can be one of the cool kids.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
Who needs a Wii when there's cocaine?

Don't believe the hype, Ian.