Author Topic: Cooking Mama out tomorrow  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Gorgonian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Cooking Mama out tomorrow
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:55:49 AM »
According to http://www.cookingmamacookoff.com it is out tomorrow.  What are the chances of it actually being available in places like Best Buy and Circuit City when I go there tomorrow?  I will be in the area so I'd like to grab it if possible.  I notice on Best Buy's websites (and others) they have slightly later release dates (like the 21st and even the 29th).  

Anyone else somewhat excited by this release?  It's been under the radar in my usual video game circles.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Cooking Mama out tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:52 AM »
one... hundred... THIRTEEN... pixels... ..breaking delicate... forum ..width!

You know two years ago, I don't think a game like this could even exist in the US market.  

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »
I assume you are referring to my avatar.  It looks ok on my screen and I didn't know where to find guidelines.  I will look harder and fix it.  Apologies.

I have never played Cooking Mama but I hear the DS version is well thought of by many and it looks like it could be a lot of fun.  I'm taking the plunge on this one tomorrow or ASAP. to hold me over to Super Paper Mario.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Cooking Mama out tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you Gorgonian. Got this pre-ordered, so we can offer two different viewpoints in our impressions in this thread!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
I showed my mom the game and she really liked it. Me and my sister want to buy it for my niece's Wii. I kept reminding them the date, we'll see if we get it or not.

If we do I'll post my impressions as soon as I can.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 05:35:35 AM »
I was just at gamerankings.com - no one, and I mean no one has reviewed it.  I'm thinking NWR's posted release date of April is right.  Also, Bestbuy / Futureshop are listing it as 'out of stock'.  So... no, not coming out today.  Darn it!
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 06:41:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Gorgonian
What are the chances of it actually being available in places like Best Buy and Circuit City when I go there tomorrow?
Approximately zero.

Unlikes music and movies, video games don't have official street dates.  Instead, they have ship dates.  If the game ships today it won't be available in stores until tomorrow at the earliest.  If you go into a GameStop or an EB Games tomorrow afternoon chances are you'll find it.  This is because these stores get shipments directly from the distributor.   However, big box stores like Best Buy and Circuit City use warehouses to consolidate shipments and minimize transportation costs.  As a result, you probably won't find the game available in those stores for another week or so.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:46:19 AM »
No Cooking Mama at Best Buy or Game Stop today.

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 03:48:26 AM »
Oof I think I'm going to pass on this one, reviews are in the 5-6 out of 10 range.  Biggest complaints seem to be occasionally frustrating controls and loss of the tactile feeling of the DS version (also mentioned: repetitive music, DS-port graphics).  Consensus is rental at best.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:40 PM »
Bump!

Rented this game. Couldn't stand it. Poor implementation. Not explained very well. Felt cheap.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »
Game's a disappointment in that it isn't nearly as streamlined as it oughta be. They keep interrupting your cooking because the recipe is broken up in stages, and some of the controls are off or too complex to understand without some test runs in addition to the explanation. And the "kitchen" mode is almost entirely useless???

Digging past those issues though, it's easy to see the charm and potential this game can have. Mama is a great character, the idea of making food is pretty awesome, and some recipes/motions are quite satisfying.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 10:40:41 PM »
I'm still waiting for those 20$ cooking games that Iwata teased me about a year ago.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 10:45:19 PM »
Chopping vegetables is surprisingly fun.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 05:25:23 AM »
I rented it, too.  Extremely disappointing.  My wife and I played for about 10 minutes.  We had several games where we had no idea what to do and nothing was working.  We did not play it again.  Glad I didn't splurge on release day.  Oof.