Author Topic: eBay & Nintendo battle sure to ensue...  (Read 5432 times)

Offline Dryden

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
eBay & Nintendo battle sure to ensue...
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:28:20 AM »
Click me

Yeesh, what a long link.  Anyway - it links to an eBay auction for the Japanese Pokemon Diamond game, hacked with all 493 pokemon, all shiny, 999 of every item, perfect stats, perfect collections of everything, but without the game itself even started yet.

So... I could be playing online against this?  The much heralded Battle Tower, home of the best teams, all with individual ranks, is going to be abused by hackers?  Is Nintendo taking any action against this kind of thing?

For that matter, is Nintendo going to prohibit sales of virtual data?  ie eBay auctions for level 100 shiny Mewtwos?  I know it's been done, it's possible, but what is Nintendo doing?  I don't want hacker cheaters making a mint on eBay because of this...  
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: eBay: 493 Pokemon, all shiny, hacked games for sale - $100
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »
you know you can change the hyper link to be "Click Here" and have it be the link right?

At first I thought you were trying to peddle this crap.  I don't see it as much of a problem, I mean you could just back out of the match.  Then again I hope that wouldn't negatively effect your record.  Anyways as long as you don't get penalized for backing out of the match I would assume anyone that bought that hacked game would never get to play a full match against someone.  Hmm but I don't want jerks backing out of a match cause I'm about to win.....in that case maybe you can see your opponents lineup before battling.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
RE:eBay: 493 Pokemon, all shiny, hacked games for sale - $100
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 06:56:16 PM »
As long as the Pokemon's stats don't go above what is actualy possible like 999 in Special defense, you will be fine.
Or an adamant pokemon who has max special attack.

Shiny Pokemon have no special powers or higher individual values.

Having 999 of every item means nothing.

The only thing is that they can easily choose what ever pokemon they want. And that aint no big woop. Hmmm, "that aint no" I gotta watch that.

Relax, anyone who has to resort to something like this = push over.  I'd love to see someone, get ahold of something like this, use nothing but legendary pokemon and try to beat me. Yes im that arrogant when it comes to pokemon(at least when it comes to this message board) and I never use any legendaries.

Seriously though, as long as you know how to really battle, and their pokemon aren't illegaly maxed out, you don't have anything to worry about.  

Given my amazingly arrogant tone, I expect everyone to take my friend code for this game. If theres one thing I love about this game its proving to people how simple pokemon like a Quilfish or Primeape can destroy the key stone of every team.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:27:56 PM »
It's still f###ing impossible to roll a DV FFFF (stat increase predisposition max, at least for Red/Blue) legendary in practice.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:40:48 AM »
Cheating is a big deal.  I'm worried that you are going to see a flood of all the legendaries on the game, as people just trade them for nothing.  I hope that there is some way of detecting these cheats, but their probably won't be.

I plan on trading and battling only people I know aren't cheating.

I hope no one accuses me of cheating when they see my shiny Steelix.  It's the only shiny i've ever found.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 02:51:13 AM »
Cheating is okay by me as long as you are playing solo and offline, but multiplayer and online is just wrong.  You cheapen the experience for everyone else
involved.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:11:55 AM »
From my understanding, though, the online battle tower ranks teams based on how good they are in practice.  I just think it's a shame if Nintendo doesn't weed out those artificial ranks.  I don't want, say, Caterkiller  to be the absolute best pokemon player ever, and be ranked 1024th because cheaters are using perfect stat adjusted legendary pokemon with ever TM at their disposal an infinite amount of times.

From what I understand, the hacked stats are 'legal', but perfect 31 hidden values for every single stat is pretty ridiculous.  It will just make two tiers of battling, hacked and not hacked.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to Nintendo customer queries yesterday, I'll post if I ever get a response.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 05:33:41 AM »
I feel sorry for the people that buy the hack.  Yes, I get to experience a game already completed for me.

Pokemon is an RPG about finding and raising your own Pokemon.  I can understand the desire to have all of them collected
but that ruins the point and fun of the game.

Even online battles will be pointless, because you know that you have the best Pokemon available for the situation.  And should
never lose unless you are up against someone else with hacked stats.

Luckily this won't be widespread, and everyone should still be able to have fun with the game.

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:06:41 AM »
I cannot find, for the life of me, if there are random online battles.  There are 32 friend code slots, and I know you can download teams from humans to be played by AI... but I can't find if there is or is not random Tetris or MK-style matchups.

Either way I'm not happy... random matchups means meeting hacked pokemon, and no random matchups means painful searches for friend codes around the same ability level as myself... and then trying to find them randomly online.  So it's either the half-decent Mario Kart model with hacking... or the painfully labourous Animal Crossing model without it.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »
For me the fun of Pokemon is collecting them on my own and finding them on my own.  It's fun to work one area for an hour just to find a super rare pokemon and almost catch it and have to start over again to feel the triumph when you actually catch and feel like you truly earned the catch.  

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »
Wow - I actually got a response from Nintendo:

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,
I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments regarding sale of Pokemon game characters via the internet.  Rest assured that your e-mail will be forwarded to the appropriate department for further review.
Thank you for your e-mail.
Nintendo of America Inc.
Bruce Mann

Huh.  Should we start a letter writing campaign?  Nah.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 08:14:21 AM »
lol, im gonna laugh when caterkiller gets beat by a caterpie!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle
lol, im gonna laugh when caterkiller gets beat by a caterpie!

You know I was thinking the same thing. Hahahaha! I talk big when it comes to Pokemon, but watch I get beat by every single one of you!  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:55 AM »
Pokemon is one game that I'm really convinced I'm going to suck at competitive play on.  I've played since the beginning but never really battle other people.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline greenblob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »
Hacks won't matter as long as stats don't go above theoretically possible ranges. Hackers will probably be a small minority out of the group of players who have all level 100's with perfect stats.

And Pokemon works as a competitive game. Online will be all about fighting friends or fighting competitively, and when you're fighting competitively, it's a given that all your Pokemon should have near-perfect stats. Prediction and team-building strategy will be the main factors in D/P online, not whether you raised your Pokemon with AR or something.  

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 04:27:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Pokemon is one game that I'm really convinced I'm going to suck at competitive play on.  I've played since the beginning but never really battle other people.

Yeah i know what you mean. I'd always thought I was good at Pokemon but last year I played online with Netbattle and let's just say the learning curve is steep.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 04:10:09 AM »

Hackers will probably be a small minority out of the group of players who have all level 100's with perfect stats.

There are hidden stats not shown in the game.  Each of the six stats (HP, Atk, etc) are given a random value between 0-31 (so, 32 possible values), that influence how high the stats go.  They make a huge difference.  So when a hacker comes in with all hidden stats at 31...
Well, put it this way - the odds of catching one in the wild would be 32 to the power of 6 - or 1 in 1,073,741,824.  You have better odds winning a lottery.  And odds of catching a shiny are one in 8192, putting the odds at over 1 in 8 trillion for a perfect stat shiny.  Breeding gives you some control, but not a significant enough amount to even think about competing with hackers.
By that, I'd say that hackers are the only people playing the level 100's with perfect stats.
It also makes it really easy for Nintendo to spot if they wanted to.  But are they going to?  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 04:21:06 AM »
Dryden, don't fall for the trap that so many cheater haters do.  It will not make it easier for them to spot the cheaters.  It WILL make it easy for them to spot possible cheaters, but that's it.  The fact that your 1 in 8 trillion odds calculation is NOT 0 shows that Nintendo can't just blatantly ban these people.  The customer service nightmare for getting it wrong would not be worth it.  And that's only for the shiny perfects... if they did start banning those, the cheaters would move on to non shiny perfects.  If those get banned, they'll intentionally make them slightly unperfect, and so on and so on.

No matter what, the cheaters will always have the best pokemon.  The only way Nintendo could ban them is if something in the code showed that they weren't legitimately caught, and the chances of that are slim to none.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 04:38:26 AM »
The only way to handle that is the way Blizzard did: Closed Battle.Net. I.e. your character is stored online, none of your offline data can be transferred there.

Offline greenblob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Dryden

Hackers will probably be a small minority out of the group of players who have all level 100's with perfect stats.

There are hidden stats not shown in the game.  Each of the six stats (HP, Atk, etc) are given a random value between 0-31 (so, 32 possible values), that influence how high the stats go.  They make a huge difference.  So when a hacker comes in with all hidden stats at 31...
Well, put it this way - the odds of catching one in the wild would be 32 to the power of 6 - or 1 in 1,073,741,824.  You have better odds winning a lottery.  And odds of catching a shiny are one in 8192, putting the odds at over 1 in 8 trillion for a perfect stat shiny.  Breeding gives you some control, but not a significant enough amount to even think about competing with hackers.
By that, I'd say that hackers are the only people playing the level 100's with perfect stats.
It also makes it really easy for Nintendo to spot if they wanted to.  But are they going to?

Shiny Pokemon doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter too much that your Pokemon have perfect stats, just near perfect. It can also be manipulated by breeding, which actually very effective. Besides, stats are just one aspect; movesets matter just as much.

Anyway, don't underestimate the Pokemon competitive scene. The really competitive players on Netbattle actually have those same Pokemon with similar stats in their game.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 03:03:56 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
The only way to handle that is the way Blizzard did: Closed Battle.Net. I.e. your character is stored online, none of your offline data can be transferred there.

Yeah, but that would be truly difficult with pokemon unless it was say... an mmorpg.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 07:45:04 AM »
Is there even an action replay solution for DS yet?  I mean, would the right decision have been not allowing the GBA Pokemon to be transferred in?  (I know it's too late for that decision now, but I'm just curious.)
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »
AFAIK yes, there is an AR for the DS.