Author Topic: Grindhouse  (Read 25867 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Grindhouse
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »
Why? Are taking someone else with you?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Grindhouse
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 06:41:49 AM »
Vudu are you hitched/engaged/taken and not telling us?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 07:15:27 AM »
Yes.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 08:05:24 AM »
All three... The Scandel....
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 05:11:06 PM »
i ended up paying alot in the theaters......2x 5.50 for tickets, 4.25 for popcorn, 2x 3.75 for drinks. I brought my brother. We thougth the movie was great. I hope they don't split it up as iv heard they're doing. That would ruin the movies.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
Pale Approved BUMP!

I watched Death Proof last night. It was a novelty, but not really a great film.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
Bring Lost Planet to dvd already! that and Machete

Death Proof sucked and i'm mad i didn't go to the bathroom in hopes it would get better.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 11:17:09 PM »
The two work so well together I'm not looking forward to seeing them apart. I'm renting Death Proof (which I way preferred over Planet Terror) but the short length of each (and the bad-taste trailers in between) made the experience in theaters way more than the sum of its parts.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »
What bothered me about Death Proof was all the right people didn't get their comeuppance.  

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
The two work so well together I'm not looking forward to seeing them apart. I'm renting Death Proof (which I way preferred over Planet Terror) but the short length of each (and the bad-taste trailers in between) made the experience in theaters way more than the sum of its parts.

:head explodes:
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline redgiemental

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 08:26:37 AM »
they seem to be splitting them up wher I live (the UK) this makes me sad I won't see it the way it was intended to be seen .

Its just Death Proof over here and no sign of Planet Terror . I'm not holding my breath for the fke trailers being intact either.

Whoever decided to do this should be hurt!! and hurt bad!!

EDIT: I would like to add I had thought they'd changed it everywhere until I read this thread. Which makes me a bit more mad. I feel even more cheated in a way now.......

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 08:33:02 AM »
They're changing it everywhere for the DVD release, so you're not alone.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline redgiemental

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 07:37:53 AM »
Yeah but they're changing it for theatre release too over here.......

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 07:45:34 AM »
Oh, then it sucks to be you.

Also, I saw Death Proof this weekend.  It completely sucked as a stand-alone title.  I'm really mad I didn't get around to seeing Grindhouse in theaters.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2007, 09:55:58 AM »
they are not good titles by themseleves, and were never intended to be im suprised Tarintino and Rodriguez don't act more pissed off about having their artistic integrity compromised, but hey money appeals to most all of us.

Planet Terror is a parody, and Death Proof is an homage, they dont stand on their own very well. Its not worth it without the missing reels and the trailers inbetween. That was the whole hook fo the movie, and then the Weinstiens decide to take it out and ruin it. I refuse to buy them separately. Anyone who does is not doing the movie service. Grindhouse is a movie Planet Terrot and Death Proof are segments. What if they released all the segments of Creepshow by themselves?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Grindhouse
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »
Just watched Planet Terror on blu-ray. It's FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! Happy grin from start to finish. I will watch Death Proof tomorrow.

Edit: Since I can't find a Crank or Sin City thread... Crank is awesome, and I can't wait for Crank 2. Sin City was cool, and my preferred short was the one with Goldie.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:59:49 PM by Caliban »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
Have you seen either of the Grindhouse films before? If not, don't bother with Death Proof ;)

Planet Terror became an instant classic amonst my friends and I but we all agree that Death Proof, while a good premise, didn't deliver. It sounds like a dumb complaint but there was seriously too much talking in that movie and the characters were nothing special so why spend the majority of the movie fleshing out the little character they all had?

And since you brought it up... I still haven't seen Crank (almost forgot about that movie, i should rent that soon) and Sin City really was a great movie. I was dissapointed with The Spirit, though, but I still enjoyed it.. Just wasn't as good as SC and 300.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »
If you liked Planet Terror then you should definitely watch Crank. Although I still prefer Planet Terror, but only by .0000001 of any rating scale.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »
Well a friend kept telling me it was the most ridiculous "guy movie" out there and I kept meaning to get out to theatres but never did, then forgot about it, then meant to get the dvd but it was overpriced, and forgot about it....

now here we are :)

I'll check out Circuit City later this week to see if i can get it for cheap ;)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »
actually of the two movies i prefer death proof, and actually if i were to say any of the two movies could stand alone it would be Death Proof and not Planet Terror. However, i still say that in order to fully enjoy both movies one must watch both.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »
I also highly recommend crank.

as far as Grindhouse, I feel like Tarantino and Rodriguez bloated the films to where they were just boring as hell.  The over-the-top ness of the film was fun for a little while, but it got tired pretty quickly IMO.

Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 02:02:09 AM »
Well a friend kept telling me it was the most ridiculous "guy movie" out there and I kept meaning to get out to theatres but never did, then forgot about it, then meant to get the dvd but it was overpriced, and forgot about it....

DO IT!!  You might want to pick up Death Race as well.  Same actor, but excellent action/plot balance.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »

DO IT!!  You might want to pick up Death Race as well.  Same actor, but excellent action/plot balance.

I know he was in Death Race as well but that movie never appealed to me. I felt like the premise wasn't as over the top as Crank (you're alive as long as your adrenaline is pumping.. what do you do? KILL KILL KILL!!) but it just seemed to.. well.. stupid lol. I dunno, I'll check it out if I can get it cheap enough, and if I don't like it I'll just give it to a cousin or something.

As far as the Death Proof stuff goes, I guess I'll never "get it" like some people don't get Planet Terror. I think that movie was a wonder homage to movies in the same genre as it and the over the top action was great, because of how campy those movies can be sometimes (ie: Return of the Living Dead = so bad its good).

Death Proof.. it was just boring to me, meh.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
Death Proof sucks the nut. The best part of the movie is the ending. Because it's funny, and it's finally the ending.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
Death Proof is the worst movie by a repected director I've ever seen.  It's the film equivalent of being invited by someone to hang out with their friends but you don't know anybody and just sit there while everyone talks about in-jokes and references and people and such you don't know.  We the audience are the newcomer bored to death and unable to truly involve himself in the conversation.  In the beginning when the girls are in the bar my brother summed it up as "this is like being in a bar for real only you're not drinking".  And the dialog is such boring BLATHER too.  Way to perpetuate the stereotype of women not having anything interesting to say.

By the time something actually happens we're already AN HOUR INTO THE MOVIE.  F*ck that.  Thankfully I saw Planet Terror first (which I loved) because I never would have given it a chance if I saw Death Proof first.

The sad thing is though when you watch the extra features on the DVD Quentin Tarantino is just so damn enthusiastic about his movie.  You feel sorry for him.  You feel almost guilty for hating his movie.  My brother and I both figured that if we knew Tarantino personally and he had asked our opinion of Death Proof we would be unable to give him an accurate opinion because he's just so into the movie that we figure telling him it sucked would hurt his feelings too much.