Author Topic: Medal of Honor looks purdy...  (Read 9852 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Medal of Honor looks purdy...
« on: February 22, 2007, 07:37:56 AM »
And it's made by EA!

I recall we had a bevy of b*tches b*cthing up a b*tch storm about how the Wii was doomed to suffer horrible ports with shoddy graphics forever (even though EVERY console gets shoddy looking ports at the start of its life so it's nothing out of the ordinary...).

But Medal of Honor: Vanguard is only out on the PS2 and is coming for the Wii and yet, as you can see, the graphics (esp. lighting effects) look quite nice. If even a port-monger like EA is willing to actually put some effort into these games, then I think it's safe to say that b*tchfest 2007 can officially end.

God willing, Ubisoft will get the hint, especially since they're trying to beat EA.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Medal of Honor looks purdy...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:42:11 AM »
Heh, I was just showing this to my nephew.

Looks neat!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:23:24 AM »
looks pretty d@mn good actually, there was a few areas (with the nice lighting) that looked like it could be a 360 game.

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 08:30:38 AM »
Wow, EA sure is putting Ubisoft in their place. The game looks pretty darn good.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Medal of Honor looks purdy...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
Maybe it is just the computer but everything looked really dark and it was hard to analyze the graphics. From what I seen though looks good.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:00:22 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Maybe it is just the computer but everything looked really dark and it was hard to analyze the graphics. From what I seen though looks good.

Had that same problem as well. It was too dark for me to analyze how good or bad the graphics were. The character models DID look rounder and there were more details.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:05:37 AM »
It's noticeable when the gun muzzle flashes: you can see how the light hits the surroundings, including other soldiers.

The darkness is intentional, though: I think a large part of this game is going to be "Germans in the Dark", which should make for some pretty suspenseful gameplay, what with creeping through the darkness, wondering if someone has seen you or not, wondering if anyone is there...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 09:06:16 AM »
Yeah, it WAS dark, but there a couple shots there of environmentals where it seemed like the game's graphics really shined.

... that's a neat bonus. I was already resolved to buy the game, in fact, but it's nice to know that this time we won't have people turned off irrationally to what is hopefully a good experience like what happened with FarCry.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Yeah, it WAS dark, but there a couple shots there of environmentals where it seemed like the game's graphics really shined.

... that's a neat bonus. I was already resolved to buy the game, in fact, but it's nice to know that this time we won't have people turned off irrationally to what is hopefully a good experience like what happened with FarCry.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Didn't help that the game was pretty bad as well .

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 09:53:54 AM »

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Didn't help that the game was pretty bad as well .

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 09:59:56 AM »
AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix Didn't help that the game was pretty bad as well .

As your attorney, I have to advise you to refrain from inciting Kairon into what may result in a murderous frenzy.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 10:22:19 AM »
This looks promising.  To bad it's more scripted BS.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:27 AM »

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I had no problem with farcry (graphics aside), until the glitch came.  I dont know about you, but in the level where there are like 4 sniper towers connected by bridges no matter what i did the game would just freeze before crossing the first bridge.  Reading online forums showed me also that I was not the only one suffering from this problem.  Id expect this from a PC game, but not a console game.  If a patch ever shows up I may try it again. otherwise im not putting it in my wii again.

Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline utarefsoN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »
fock  there goes another 50 bucks. Preordered.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
Ok, I might have been too quick to harp on Ubi...

PoP: Rival Swords looks pretty damn nice as well. If Ubi keeps up graphical standards like these (and so does EA), lesser 3rd party devs will be forced to keep up just to maintain the status quo.

Though, it could be bullshot, as Ubi is renown for it.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
I don't know what everyone else sees but those MOH levels look voraciously bland to me
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »
You are saying it looks like War-Torn Europe, right?

It always looks like that.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 02:22:05 PM »
You don't really see too much action in those shots, not a lot of stuff littered around on the ground etc
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 03:37:32 PM »
Medal of Honor is the Madden of shooters.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »
I wonder how many, if any, of the original developers for Medal of Honor are still onboard. Allied Assault was an absolutely awesome PC FPS. Mind you there wasn't 15-30 guys on the screen trying to kill you at once, like you'll find in Call of Duty 2 and 3, but for it's time, and still compared to some of today's FPS games (and especially WW2 FPS games), it was absolutely beautiful and played like a champ. Hopefully Vanguard will be just as fulfilling, especailly with the Wiimote.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »
Hmm naah i expect a long grungy old European street with all its cross streets blocked and some open doors (where there aren't doors, if there is a door, it's permanently locked) and every 10 seconds a plane will fly by to drop a bomb on a building 30 yards aheads to fill the horizon with smoke and debris, while you watch without receiving any harm.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 04:58:26 AM »

Smash_Brother wrote:
I recall we had a bevy of b*tches b*cthing up a b*tch storm about how the Wii was doomed to suffer horrible ports with shoddy graphics forever (even though EVERY console gets shoddy looking ports at the start of its life so it's nothing out of the ordinary...).

Wii will continue to get ports of last generation games as long as developers feel that they can make a quick buck. Sad, but true. Still, I wouldn't say it's a major problem even though it sucks. Wii will get the ass ports, but that won't be all it gets.

And for some reason, I can't seem to get the Medal of Honor trailer to work. I'm at school write now (obviously doing important college stuff), so I'll try again at home (where I will also do more important college stuff).

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 05:10:55 AM »
I'm not saying that it won't get ports, considering EVERY console gets ports.

I just mean that big-name companies are starting to do what they can to make use of the system's graphical prowess instead of relegating the Wii to GC/PS2 graphics.

Thus, this should allay fears that devs will see Wii/PS2 in the same graphical category. Plus, like I said, when smaller devs see this, they're going to have to start working a bit harder.

Last gen, if you made an xbox game that looked like ass, your dev house would be harped on for it because the standards for graphics were set reasonably high for the console.

If the graphical standards for the Wii gradually creep upwards, we'll see far fewer "straight over" ports from lesser consoles because devs will be afraid that their games will be laughed at when compared to other games on the Wii.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »
I wonder if I should buy this game or Godfather