Author Topic: Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania: SotN to PSP  (Read 9275 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania: SotN to PSP
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania: SotN to PSP

Titled Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, the package features a "2.5D" remake of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, which was originally released for the PC Engine Super CD-ROM (aka the Turbo CD) in Japan, as well as the original version, for those who want to relive it exactly how they remember it.

As if that wasn't sweet enough, Chronicles will also include a full port of the PS1 classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, complete will full screen graphics and an improved localization, says 1up.
This is huge; at least for hardcore Castlevania nuts.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE: Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania: SotN to PSP
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »
looks like ass.

I may get it, just to check out Rondo of Blood, proper.  I played the SNES Dracula X, even though it was a bastardization.  

I guess this is what EGM was talking about in the latest issue, in that little blurb.  I hope not because this really isn't all that big of news.  

I want a new Castlevania, please.  On Wii.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 03:23:30 PM »
A remake and a port...

Yeah, that's huge alright.

Especially considering how the real Castlevania lineage has passed from the GBA to the DS.

And for what's supposed to be such a superior handheld why does the game look so... bad?

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 03:39:02 PM »
meh, not really that big of a deal, I much rather have new Castlevania games. I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't just put Castlevania: Symphony of the Night up on the PSOne store... Then again we don't know how much the game is going to cost, if the game is going to retail for the same price as a normal PSP game ($39.99) then if they didn't include SotN people would feel like they were ripped off, by including 2 games it will soften the blow. Something they should have done with the Megaman remakes.

SotN is going to be showing up soon on XboxLive Arcade, and I have a feeling that Rondo of Blood isn't to far behind. And I also have this gut feeling that we may see both games on a Nintendo system (be it the Virtual Console or the DS) in the very near future.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »
How can anyone say "meh" to this?! I am beyond thrilled about this news. I would've been pretty pleased with just a SotN port, a game I have played but don't own and need to, but also one of the most rare and supposedly awesome Castlevanias in original and remade forms? In one glorious package? Mark me down for EIGHT. I'll hang on to my $250 DustCollectorPortable for this and this alone.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
JEALOUSY

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
RE:Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania: SotN to PSP
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 06:30:44 PM »
They waited until NOW to do this?  Rondo doesn't look nearly as good as the original, good thing they still have it in there but damn.  If I didn't have the PS1 SoTN I would've considered this if I kept the PSP.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »
I think I'll get SOTN on the 360 instead. If I ever get a 360, that is, but if it continues wrecking the PS3 like this it'll probably be a good idea sooner or later.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 01:20:37 AM »
The gra[phcis look like smeared poo

this will sell like 4 copies success!! konajkmi moves tro psp confiermed

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 02:50:34 AM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
I may get it, just to check out Rondo of Blood, proper.
*SPOILERS?*
Rondo Of Blood.

And we have mappers working on Symphony Of The Night.

Unless by "to check out" you mean "to play".  :P  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 03:14:24 AM »
Careful, the above are maps, if you don't want to see spoilers, don't click those links!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 04:26:39 AM »
Ironically if this was a straight port of Rondo of Blood it would be a big deal since to North Americans it's a new game that we've been waiting for for a long time.  But as a remake it's nothing.  It looks like crap and it's not the "true" Rondo of Blood experience we've wanted.

I want to see the original version.  I hope we get it on the VC someday but I'm not holding my breath because so far no games have been released in a region they weren't originally released in.

I wasn't too keen on the first North American version of Final Fantasy III being a remake either but at least the resulting game looks good, plus Square had that excuse where the original version was coded really weird and the original programmer doesn't work for them anymore.

Man the PSP is unwanted 2.5D remake city.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 04:53:34 AM »
Did you read the article?  The original is included on the disc, as is SotN.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 05:54:53 AM »
"Did you read the article? The original is included on the disc, as is SotN."

You are right.  I missed one sentence.  Ooops.  In that case this is cool.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35:29 AM »
Won't matter one iota because it's not gonna look even close to right no matter what they do with it.  It's either gonna get stretched to hell or it'll be in a box so small you'll wonder where the game is.  Original Rondo is a DARK game, that screen is not gonna handle it well.  It's one of the reasons why I hated playing Gradius Collection on it.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 06:55:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Man the PSP is unwanted 2.5D remake city.

If I had to guess, Capcom and now Konami want to bring the ports to the PSP as opposed to the DS because if they bring it to the DS, they'll feel obligated to use the DS's features.  Since these old games didn't originally require a microphone, touch screen, or second screen, it doesn't feel like a fit.  (They could use the second screen for a map, especially in Symphony Of The Night's case, but I don't think the DS's resolution is high enough for a straight port of SotN.)

Still, putting on a map on a second screen seems like it would be less work than redesigning many elements into 3D (as they're doing to RoB).  Who knows?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 06:58:25 AM »
I think they put this on the PSP because they could put all three games on. Is there enough space on a DS cart to do that?

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 08:58:30 AM »
SotN could fit on a DS card. If they can get it on XBLA they can get it on a DS card. And I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to squeeze the original RoB on there as well. Thankfully... I mean, most likely they wouldn't be able to fit the graphical reinterpretation though.

I think the only reason the PSP is getting this and not the DS is that Konami is throwing the system a bone. The next real Castlevania with be on the DS and we all know that already.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM »

Originally posted by: denjet78
SotN could fit on a DS card. If they can get it on XBLA they can get it on a DS card. And I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to squeeze the original RoB on there as well. Thankfully... I mean, most likely they wouldn't be able to fit the graphical reinterpretation though.

RoB, with some compression, could easily fit on a DS card.  The original ripped CD image is like a couple hundred megs but I don't see why it actually would take up all that space.  SotN might also fit, I doubt it took up the whole CD-ROM in its Saturn or PSX forms.

Konami could actually make more money selling RoB, RoB remade, and SotN separately on the DS than all together on the less popular PSP.  Unless it really costs a lot to figure out how to downscale SotN to fit on the DS's screen and to make use of the other features.

I tried to play a bit of RoB at about the same time as Portrait of Ruin.  Boy, Konami's pretty bad about recycling sprites in CastleVania games, but those two were pretty similar!  Both of them have that same undead bull thing chasing you near the beginning.  o_0  The golem and wyvern were a couple big early baddies in RoB that were noticeable as being the same as in PoR, but I'm sure many smaller enemies were recycled too.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:24 AM »
OK, has Konami even looked at the PSP sales charts.  EVERY 2D game that has been released on the PSP has bombed badly.  What makes them think this will do any better?  The most this game will sell is 50,000, WORLDWIDE!!!
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 02:41:50 PM »
I love Castlevania and this is an amazing deal, but I wouldn't buy a PSP for it. And it looks like IGA's team still can't get 3D graphics right.... in the second dimension. At least Ayami Kojima is doing the character art. The DS games were sorely missing her artwork.

Also, what's up with slow Richter? They can't make him slow again after Portrait of Ruin.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 06:58:19 PM »
OK, has Konami even looked at the PSP sales charts. EVERY 2D game that has been released on the PSP has bombed badly. What makes them think this will do any better? The most this game will sell is 50,000, WORLDWIDE!!!

IGA is trying to prove that Nintendo handhelds are the wrong place for Cv and after his 3d home onsole games failed he's now trying to copy their success by going 2d and handheld while pulling out highly demanded games from the Cv series. I suppose he's desperate to prove that he can still handle Cv better than the team he handed the handheld games off to (AFAIK the GBA games were done without him, no idea about the DS). Must suck to be outdone by a bunch of stand-ins.

At least Ayami Kojima is doing the character art. The DS games were sorely missing her artwork.

I strongly disagree, the painterly portraits may look nice on a screenshot but they fail to communicate the character's emotions at all. In the GBA games each character had between one and three expressions and usually they were just "normal" and "gone insane". In Dawn of Sorrow the character portraits actually show the emotional state of the characters and feel much more dynamic. It was outright silly in AoS when Graham stabbed Yoko that her portrait was still the same exept all she could say was "........".

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »
I need to get off my ass and finish PoR...

Wouldn't buy a PSP for this, though.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 08:24:57 PM »

KDR_11k wrote:
I strongly disagree, the painterly portraits may look nice on a screenshot but they fail to communicate the character's emotions at all. In the GBA games each character had between one and three expressions and usually they were just "normal" and "gone insane". In Dawn of Sorrow the character portraits actually show the emotional state of the characters and feel much more dynamic. It was outright silly in AoS when Graham stabbed Yoko that her portrait was still the same exept all she could say was "........".

Ayami Kojima only designs the characters. I think someone else draws the portraits in the game. Regardless, some artist at Konami could have used the source material and drawn a different facial experession for the game.

I had a hard time taking the generic anime facial expressions seriously in both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. There's nothing unique about them. And if you want to talk about silly, look what they did to Dracula's design in Portrait of Ruin. What the hell happened there?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 08:42:29 PM »
I have no idea what happened in Portrait of Ruin, that game's not released here.

I think those detailled portraits may take too long to draw to have five different ones for each dialog. With such a highly unique style it may not be possible to send another artist to draw these.