Author Topic: SPECIALS: Virtual Console Mondays: GameCube Edition  (Read 2811 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
SPECIALS: Virtual Console Mondays: GameCube Edition
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:14:16 AM »
This is the talkback thread for our special GameCube edition of Virtual Console Mondays.  Feel free to leave comments or other feedback about the special in this thread.  
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: SPECIALS: Virtual Console Mondays: GameCube Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:26:06 AM »
Thank you for cleaning up and putting in the style the recommendation graphics.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »
I think this was a great idea.  I think just pointing out the various compilations is a good idea on it's own but the execution of it in this article really makes it.  Little details like price per game really make it a one-stop place for researching alternatives to the VC.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I really like seeing the Zelda price comparisons, even though I got both of those discs for free.  Majora's Mask is the only one that isn't close on the horizon though.  Japan already has Adventure of Link, and Ocarina of Time is coming out there in February.  

I need to go back and finish up the Master Quest sometime.  I liked what I played of it.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 10:18:40 AM »
I can't wait to get Adventure of Link in a form that I can just leave and resume were I was.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:11:44 AM »
I was surprised to see the recommendations for the Zelda discs, but now I realize that's based on the going price for the discs...which is indeed ridiculous.  Waiting to play them on VC is a much better deal, for once.

As for Master Quest, I think I made it through the second dungeon before I got incredibly bored with it.  To me, the slightly remixed dungeons were not worth the effort of playing through all the same adventure portions, which I had just played through not long before that in the original version.  MQ should have the option of just skipping straight to each dungeon.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 12:03:35 PM »
I would give a limb for a Twilight Princess Master Quest.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:29:43 PM »
I do hope that we will eventually see GB games make a VC appearance.  I would love some links awakening magic.  

Slightly Off topic but may be interesting, does anyone know if the VC games are locked to the Wii.  In a sense that when Wii 2, or whatever, comes out will I be forced to buy all of the VC games again.  I would be much happier and willing to buy VC games, even over the compliations, if I knew that this was likely the very last time that I was going to buy them.
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 07:06:31 AM »
Keep your Wii and you will always be able to play them.

But the SD card will probably let you move them to the next system.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
RE:SPECIALS: Virtual Console Mondays: GameCube Edition
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »
There are a few other non-traditional collections, which didn't make the special that are worth mentioning.

1. Sonic Adventure DX: Though you had to unlock them, the game included 12 Sonic Game Gear games.  Some were included in Sonic Mega Collection Plus or as demos in Sonic Gems Collection, but this was the best option for GC owners. (Recommended for fans)

2. Animal Crossing: Honestly, I bought this for the NES games and didn't even play the main game beyond the beginning, though my sister really enjoyed it.  Even though Nintendo never released all of the proper codes to unlock all of the games, the game included 19 NES games, including Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda.  The games could even be transferred to the GBA to play on the go.  It's releases like this that makes the VC seem like such a rip-off. (Recommended for everyone)

3. Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Included three vector Star Wars arcade games unlockable which were quite impressive for the time and are still kinda fun to play today. (Recommended for fans)

4. Star Fox Assault: Includes the lackluster Xevious as an unlockable, unless you get the Japanese version, which has two more (not very notable) games.  Sega has done this as well... Sonic Mega Collection and Genesis Collection had more games in their Japanese versions. (Not recommended)

5. Pac-Man World 2: Included four unlockable Pac-Man games.  The game was certainly worth the $20 since it also came with Pac Man Vs.  However, if you're just getting it for the arcade games, Namco 50th might be a better choice. (Not recommended)

6. Nintendo Puzzle Collection: Well, it would have been nice if it had actually been released here...  The collection included three popular action puzzlers, with versions that could also be downloaded to the GBA.  (Recommended for fans)

7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus: Included the original arcade game as an unlockable but with voices and music edited out.  (Not recommended)

8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare: Included Turtles in Time arcade game again with licensed content edited out. (Not recommended)

9. Fight Night Round 2: Included Super Punch-Out, the first SNES game to be available in this manner.  I haven't played this one so I don't know how it is.

10. Tower of Druaga: A special pre-order bonus for Baten Kaitos in Japan.  Quite rare. (Not recommended)

11. Metal Gear: From the Japanese collectors edition of Twin Snakes.  Given how much the collectors edition cost, I doubt this was worth it.  (Not recommended)

12. Pokemon Channel: Included several Pokemon Mini games as unlockables and even one never released on cartridge.   (Not recommended)

Of course, if you're more interested in the emulated games than the main game, I recommend using Action Replay or downloading a save file from the internet to unlock stuff from the get-go.    
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

RE:SPECIALS: Virtual Console Mondays: GameCube Edition
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »
Does Mega Man X Collection have screwy controls like the Mega Man Collection?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 12:06:05 PM »

The controls are customizable for every game
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers