Author Topic: SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Greatest GameCube Games  (Read 28552 times)

RE:SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Greatest GameCube Games
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2007, 06:54:51 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

I think quite a few people will be upset about you calling SSBM shallow.

Well, in comparison to the games I listed - Soul Calibur/Edge, Street Fighter, Tekken and Virtua Fighter - it certainly is.

You only really needed to use the A & B button but for those who perhaps took the game a bit more seriously may find some depth to the 'system'.

Either way, I do appreciate just about every game bar a few on the list that NWR gathered together.
I Wii!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Greatest GameCube Games
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2007, 07:11:41 AM »
Super Smash Brothers is as shallow or deep as the people playing it, and that's why it is such a masterpiece.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2007, 07:53:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Extra Terrestrial
Well, in comparison to the games I listed - Soul Calibur/Edge, Street Fighter, Tekken and Virtua Fighter - it certainly is.

You only really needed to use the A & B button but for those who perhaps took the game a bit more seriously may find some depth to the 'system'.

Either way, I do appreciate just about every game bar a few on the list that NWR gathered together.

There is depth to SSBM.  It's one of the games featured on the Major League Gaming professional circuit.  (Halo is another.)  Five years later, people are still playing it, and people are still buying it.  Those that got the game when it came out in 2001 are still playing it, more than five years later.

People don't play a game for five years if it's shallow.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2007, 08:00:27 AM »
You might as well say that the sun is cold.  Could not be more wrong.  Melee is simple -- that is not nearly the same thing as shallow.  Tekken is complex -- that is not nearly the same thing as deep.

Edit: However, I appreciate your kudos and your courage for staking out what is definitely a controversial opinion.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »
I'll never understand the praise RE4 gets.  I thought it was extremely annoying to play.  The controls and camera are good only when compared to the old RE games.
GOREGASM!

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2007, 12:13:04 PM »
What?!  No Beyond Good and Evil on best Multiplatform?  Or are you going to do more "Best of Multiplatform" tomorrow as well?  

Fo reals.  If BG&E doesn't get any recognition, I am going to write SUCH a letter.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »
Agreed. BG&E Deserves recognition!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
In all their praise for RE4 they missed something. The A.I. They usually not only had a numerical advantage on you at all times, but in open ground they are as dangerous as they can get. Using the village as an example, in the open, the villagers would send the main group at you in a frontal assult. Now if you watch, a number of them break off from the main group for your flank. I have seen them move around building to hit me in the back. Lock yourself in building? They bust down the doors and windows. Start bringing up ladders. Not the type will to wait for you to stave to death. The reactions to being shot.

Short of the cheat weapons, you just can stand there blasting away. Your constantly forced to run or atleast take a step back to check your 6. The A.I. is still more intelligent than most games today.

Originally posted by: Smoke39
I'll never understand the praise RE4 gets.  I thought it was extremely annoying to play.  The controls and camera are good only when compared to the old RE games.

The gameplay is an early variant on the "Cover" system that alot of games use nowdays like GRAW and Gears or War. In those games you wouldn't think of shooting anybody without having cover yourself. If you start blasting people while in the open, you died. In RE4 you are given two distinct choicies. Flee or fight. Flee is only a tactical choice as you aways have to fight. In other games, that is moving away from cover. Your only going to more cover so you can shoot some more. Hence not being able to shoot on the move.

The game constantly forces you to make that fight or flight choice. It is never "and" choice. It engages you on a very, very low level that most other games can't.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »
I'm with the Jungle Beat camp.  Totally should have made the list.  Thinking about it, I want to play it right now.

SSBM is simply the best fighting game ever created.  The depth and flexibility of the game is astounding.  My friends and I will all play together, but whenever we play, my one friend and I are sure to go one on one at least once.  We'll only have five lives and the match might last a half hour or longer.  We're so good at avoiding each other that we hardly ever accumulate damage.  It's incredible to experience.

I'll also note that while I really enjoyed Resident Evil 4, the game was way too long and repetitive.  I was ready for it to end when I finished the first disc; I remember being disappointed when it said enter disc 2.  It was just zombie, shoot, zombie, shoot, with only an occasional boss as a terrifying breath of relief.  I mean, I did enjoy it, but it got less good the more I played.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2007, 03:56:06 PM »
Personally, I'm hoping to see some recognition for:

Jungle Beat
Donkey Konga 1
Chibi-Robo
Battalion Wars

I think that's about all the list needs. Though it wouldn't hurt to add:

Cubivore
Ikaruga
Beyond good and evil (people seem to like it)
Harvest Moon: A wonderful life.
Sonic Adventure 2

Yeah, I guess I'll stop there. I'm not very good at making lists and limiting myself.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
I would not put Donkey Konga anywhere near this list.  It's one of the most boring rhythm games I have played.  Some of my non-gamer friends were eager to try it because of the controller, but they got bored with it almost as fast as I did.  The problem is not that it's too easy -- although it mostly is -- rather, it's too limited.  There are only four moves and very few combinations possible among them.  I thought the game got repetitive before the end of the first song.  It's like a one-dimensional DDR or Guitar Hero, and that's one dimension too few.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
I admit the game does have its faults. But I didn't think it was a total bore. Maybe that's because I like drums though. Plus, I prefered the song selection of the first Konga. I've always been curious what it would be like to get 4 people playing the game but I don't have that many bongos. But I did think the game was still worthy enough to be included and it is a different rythym game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2007, 08:47:58 PM »
You only really needed to use the A & B button

The complexity of the controls does not necessarily define the depth of a game. Or is Street Fighter more complex than, say, Virtua Fighter because it uses more buttons?

And besides, A and B don't let you block, catch, throw, dodge, ... In short, using only A&B is like using only FP and FK in SF.

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2007, 06:23:58 AM »
Sonic Adventure 2 belongs nowhere near this list.  It belongs on no list save for the "Slightly fixed version of a broken game" list.

I just realized another Dreamcast game that deserves to be on here.  Skies of Arcadia.  

Fo reals.
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2007, 06:25:58 AM »
*gags*

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2007, 07:42:53 AM »
Skies of Arcadia is overrated.

And the Freeloader needs a mention on the list somewhere. How else are you going to play Naruto GNT4 and Kururin Squash?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2007, 09:17:05 AM »
With a real mod of course.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
Any staff response as to why you guys shunned BG&E?  Sure, it was short as hell, but thats no reason to dismiss it...is it?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2007, 10:33:15 AM »
Where's Wavebird, the greatest wireless controller ever made?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2007, 10:36:13 AM »
no Bg&e, no wavebird, this list is PHAIL.

Offline Acefondu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2007, 12:24:34 PM »
This list is responsible for me getting re-addicted to SSBM....thanks a lot......

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2007, 02:23:10 PM »
Skies of Arcadia when comaperd to TOS does come off as abit of a dead duck. But never the less, as a game it was alot of fun and the sense of exploration especially early game was great. But it does suffer all the penalties of being a TBRPG, though the SP system helps it out a little by giving another resource that your need to manage.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »
BG&E is a multiplatform game, and as such can't be on the list. As for why it's not on the multiplatform list, I don't think many on the staff played/liked it enough to get it through. I know Obi's a huge fan, though, so if it makes you feel better, I'm quite sure it's on his list.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2007, 05:28:58 PM »
How on EARTH did the Wavebird not make it?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
With a real mod of course.