Author Topic: Gamecube Discs  (Read 7695 times)

Offline SPhil64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« on: March 12, 2003, 02:08:39 PM »
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever tried to play their GCN games on a computer?  I don't mean on a emulator or anything, but opening the cd drive and putting the disk in to see what happens.  I know when SoA was released for Dreamcast if you put it in a cd player the characters would yell at you.  Anyone know if something cool happens when you try something like that?
Maybe throughout the course of the game you somehow acquire one of the Goldeneye satellites. And maybe you somehow control it with your golden eye. -me

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 02:19:56 PM »
Why don't you try?  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 02:39:58 PM »
Interesting, but I'm too lazy myself to move 5 feet to get a game and put it in my DVD Rom drive.  

Gamecube Discs
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 04:44:43 PM »

Originally posted by: SPhil64
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever tried to play their GCN games on a computer?  I don't mean on a emulator or anything, but opening the cd drive and putting the disk in to see what happens.  I know when SoA was released for Dreamcast if you put it in a cd player the characters would yell at you.  Anyone know if something cool happens when you try something like that?

*takes out his Wrestlemania x8 disc*

*looks at his CD drive and then at the disc*

IF you get screwed up in there, I would hardly tell the difference. *pops it in*

Ooooooo... pretty fireworks......

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 05:13:20 PM »
I never heard that about SoA for Dreamcast. Usually when you put a DC GD-Rom in a CD or DVD Drive, there's 3 text files you can see, and that's it. There are no CD/DVD drives that can read GCN or Xbox original games though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 05:39:42 PM »
yeah, but they've found ways to pirate X-box games already. apparently it's not too hard. but gamecube is still pretty hard for them to copy, or maybe the system is to "kiddie" and not worth their time.
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline SPhil64

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 05:43:12 PM »
I didn't know that was possible either until I started looking for audio clips from Skies of Arcadia and found several online that were titled cd something or other.  When I listened to them the characters said things like "I can't save the world from the cd player!"  That's what got me thinking about my original post to this topic.
Maybe throughout the course of the game you somehow acquire one of the Goldeneye satellites. And maybe you somehow control it with your golden eye. -me

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 05:51:34 PM »
I put Rogue Leader in my PC  and nothing happened, it couldn't read it.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 10:14:27 PM »
Keep in mind these are mini-DVDs, not mini-CD's.   But anyways, I just tried it out in the DVD-Rom drive and it can't read it.  Its an unrecognizable format.

Offline SPhil64

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 02:42:06 AM »
Thanks to everyone who tried.  I did it myself with Skies of Arcadia just now and unfortunately nothing happened.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 06:50:13 AM »
Since GameCube discs spin backwards, they are probably unreadable on a normal DVD player.

Trivia: Many CD games included playable music.  Just pop them into your CD player and listen to the tunes.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 07:16:58 AM »
GameCube disc don't spin backwards. Open your GameCube when your playing a game and you can see it spinning the right way.

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 07:46:38 AM »
No it dosemt spin backwards but it reads from the outside in instead of inside out like most disc based systems (at least I thought that was one of the security features Nintendo and Panasonic put into place). I could be dead wrong.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline yeg0

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2003, 08:26:27 AM »
I tried it with Luigi's Mansion....froze my computer.
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2003, 10:00:49 AM »
They have been able to rip the data from Gamecube games by connecting a device between the disk drive and the mother board. Though they haven't been able to boot copied games on the Gamecube.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2003, 03:26:57 PM »
Cyrus thats with modchips thats you need to solder in and those companies get shut down left and right. Nobodys gotten those extra applacations to run like linux and stuff without modchips. Probably becuase if they could, they'd need to crack the huge as code. I think it was some in the 10 thousand characters!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2003, 08:26:09 PM »

Originally posted by: yeg0
I tried it with Luigi's Mansion....froze my computer.

I tried it with Rogue Leader ages ago, and got the same result.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline zumpiez

• View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2003, 08:28:17 PM »
Are Gamecube disks actually small DVDs? I thought they were a separate proprietary format that had some physical differences that made it impossible to read by standard drives (explaining why the Panasonic Q has to reboot into Game mode if it's going to read the different kind of disc)
Zelda > *

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2003, 08:32:17 PM »
They are 8cm dual layered DVDs.  They are slightly modified to disallow piracy.  (For instance, the first layer on the disc is used as an anti-piracy measure.)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2003, 03:06:45 AM »
HAVE they released emulators of Gamecube games? Are they ever going to?

I think that if they don't within this generation, NIntendo should be proud, cause the Gamecube will be the first console that has been COMPLETELY un-piratable.

I could be wrong though.

People have jeered at Gamecube for the wrong reasons:
"I can get games for PC, Xbox and PS2 cheaper cause you can pirate them! You have to pay a hundred bucks, and I don't! Gamecube sucks man."

Well, Nintendo are the most profitable one out there, and that, technically, makes them number one! So jeer all you want!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Gamecube Discs
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2003, 11:28:20 AM »
hahah yeah
it allways makes me laugh when people say things like that "i can get copied games for like $1 and you have to pay $100 ha ha" not realiseing thats proffit being taken away from developers who inturn 1) see "poor" sales of a great game 2) cant make even higher quality games cause they dont have the capitol todo it

hooray for pirates bringing down their own consoles (in theory anyway)