Author Topic: Fishing in Zelda SUCKS! (mandatory spoiler tag just incase)  (Read 10227 times)

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Fishing in Zelda SUCKS! (mandatory spoiler tag just incase)
« on: January 02, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »
I do not know what the hell the problem is but I cant seam to get any fish and as far as I can tell I am supposed to geta fish to get the cat so I can get my sling shot. I have tried EVERYTHING and I cant figure out hwo the hell to get those damn fish. Maybe I just havent played enough but I hate beign stuck on the damn fishing and its driving me crazy, So WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! any help would be greatly appreciated. I havent play the game a lot cuz I havent had time but this is getting ridiculous.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Fishing in Zelda SUCKS! (mandatory spoiler tag just incase)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:05:58 AM »
Step 1: Get fishing pole.  I assume you have completed step one.

Step 2: Go to where the cat is at.

Step 3: Locate fish in water.

Step 4:  Assign the fishing pole to the B button, and press said button to activate the item, thus casting the pole into the river.

Step 4: Wait a li'l bit.

Step 5: When the fish bites, the bobber will quickly sink for a brief moment.  During this time, you are to pull up on the Wiimote, raising it above your head.  Keep your arm all up there fo sho.

Step 6: Cool.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Fishing in Zelda SUCKS! (mandatory spoiler tag just incase)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:23:46 AM »
For the bobbing rod, you basically just have to wait until the whole bobber thing is entirely off-screen (or as far as it'll go) then pull up and keep the Wii Remote upright.

I was stuck there for half an hour too.  They don't explain it very well.  Fishing is a bit better when you get to Hena's fishing pond and you get a rod with a reel.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
1.  Stand at the edge of the dock and cast the lure.  The bob should land on the water surface.

2.  Watch the bob (floating stick thing on the surface).  The fish don't catch the bob, they catch the hook dangling beneath the bob (not visible on screen).

3.  You'll see the bob rise and fall.  When you notice the bob is in the sinking motion (upward motion is too late), RAISE YOUR ARM UP (raise the remote) so your arm is almost verticle.  Link's arm will also appear verticle.  The screen will say you got a bite.  If not, wait for the next sinking and change your timing.  

4.  Keep your arm up.  To pull the fish out, bob the fishing rod up & down by slightly dropping and raising the remote (wrist flicks or arm movments; if you drop your arm to a, say,  45 degree angle, you'll give up the fish, so don't drop your arm too far).  The movements should not be violent.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:33:37 AM »
fishing in zelda sucks because you cannot use the lure rod  in lake hylia.
I'll shut up now...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:58:11 AM »
The funny thing is I only have the Cube version and thought the fishing was kind of a weak, especially compared to Ocarina of Time's fishing.  But I figured it was because I didn't have the remote so the experience wasn't the same.  Sounds like it's the same sort of thing in both.  Jon Leung's spoiler gives me hope since I haven't been to that spot yet because I was thinking that the fishing was lame so I might as well do something else.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »
thanks guys ill try again.
You can call me

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »
sorry I guess I forgot there was a gameplay stratgey forum for such questions I should have posted there. hope I didnt break any rules.
You can call me

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 01:39:24 PM »
Maybe it's because I actually used to go fishing both ways when I was a kid but I didn't have a problem catching a fish with the bobber rod at all.  I've had more trouble catching them later on than I did at the start.  Odd thing is that nobody else could catch a fish at my house so I dunno what the problem is.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »
Sell the game and pick up a Dreamcast with Sega Bass Fishing (fishing rod controller included). Then throw that all in the bin and make a tuna sandwich.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 04:10:13 PM »
Am I the only one who didn't have any trouble catching the cat a fish? I had to check the instruction manual to see what to do once the bobber is done (I had seen people reeling and wondered why it wasn't working, not realizing that was later) but otherwise it was easy...

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 04:49:09 PM »
I had no problems at all either Artimus. I caught a fish which was cataloged then for some reason I coudn't get it to the cat. Then I cast out again and BAM caught another fish, managed to get it to the cat or the cat to it as the case may have been. It was that simple.

My brother had a hell of a time catching his first fish though so I guess there must be a certain amount of intuition involved or something. Because it certainly wasn't hard for me.

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »
The cat absolutely never gets the first fish as far as I know. I've started multiple files for the heck of it and seen my cousin play as well. The second fish we catch is always the one the cat gets as though the game is programmed to have you practice for a minute before letting you proceed.
zzz...

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 05:56:53 PM »
That's what I figured but it didn't make it clear while playing. Thanks for the confirmation though Dozy Boy.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »
The first fish is for getting the cat's attention (it'll start following you around when you have the rod out after your first catch).
GOREGASM!

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 10:38:45 PM »
Thanks for even further clarification Smoke39. Apparantly I don't pay attention to games at all. I just plow straight through and scream "I BEATED IT!" at the end of every level. People are like "Did you notice the subtle detail in the background of the boss's cave?" and I'm all like "NO I JUS BEATED IT NUUB!"...yeah I suck.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 11:06:22 PM »
It took me ages to figure out how to use that bobber rod.  I used to give it a yank up when it started rising again and that was my problem.  It was sheer fluke that i pulled it up that tad bit earlier due to my frustration that i managed to get the knack of it.

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 01:34:29 AM »
I got my first fish fine.... but after a while, even on my second fish, it kept on saying too small, throw back.  I spent an hour there, untill I realized that when I chased the cat away in frustration halfway through the hour, the cat did not come back, so I Had to lure it in again.  THEN when it was close enough, it took the damned fish .

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »
"The first fish is for getting the cat's attention (it'll start following you around when you have the rod out after your first catch)."

That is what tripped me up.  I caught a fish, the cat's following me, everything's cool, right?  I just have to make him follow me to the house and I'm done.  NOPE.  Catch another fish even though we give no indication that this needs to be done and it logically makes no sense why you have to do it twice.  Bleh.  There seems to be at least one moment in every Zelda game where I'm screaming "WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?"  In Ocarina of Time it was playing the forest song for Darunia.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 06:07:29 AM »
The 2-fish rule is odd.

But playing the forest song for Darunia, a nearby Goron would tell you Darunia liked the music.  That's hint #1.  If yo' ass took too long to get moving, Navi told you to see Saria in the Sacred Forest Meadow.  That's hint #2, and it was practically handholding.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 06:14:08 AM »
Well i got the damn cat to follow the fish finally.

I cought my first fish and it didnt even let me do anything with it It just said to toss it back.

Oh and IM I already have a Dreamcast and Fishing pole controller so thanks for the suggestion now **** ***
You can call me

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
The 2-fish rule is odd.

But playing the forest song for Darunia, a nearby Goron would tell you Darunia liked the music.  That's hint #1.  If yo' ass took too long to get moving, Navi told you to see Saria in the Sacred Forest Meadow.  That's hint #2, and it was practically handholding.

No.  Navi only said "Dur, I wonder whut Saria would say if we told her we were gonna save the world lol."  And then you're like, "Nobody fvcking cares about Saria.  Jerkface won't talk to me. O:<"  I could take the hint, but it really makes no sense, and was a really awkwardly shoe-horned in way to require you to go get that song.
GOREGASM!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »
yOU'RE completely wronger than Ian.

It totally makes sense.  Doesn't matter what Navi said, she simply told you to run in a certain direction (if you were slow and needed handholding).  What mattered was Darunia needed CHEERING UP.  One goron knew Darunia liked the music, and it was up to you to trace it to the source, which you should've learned already by early exploration at the beginning of the game.

Pulling out the Ocarina in front of Darunia caused the positive jingle sound to happen anyway, indicating a song of some sort was required (< NOT CONFIRMED, I'M NOT LOADING UP OOT JUST TO FIND THAT OUT).

Ocarina and music were the theme of the game dur.

And I've noticed TP has more handholding than Ocarina.  WHAT A TRAGEDY.  

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »
Whipping out the ocarina in front of Mr. Grumpypants did make the musical staff appear.  But nothing hinted that talking to Saria would teach you a new song.  Hearing Navi say "Oh god I have the hots for Saria" is apparently too cryptic for some persons.  Like Ian.  And my dad.  My poor dad.  He loves Zelda, but he sucks so bad at it. ):

And all the 3D Zeldas that've come after OoT have been more handholdy than OoT.
GOREGASM!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
Why should someone suddenly have to backtrack to the Lost Woods or I guess you could use the shortcutin the first place. It'z Zelda not Metroid.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.