Author Topic: Wii Forecast Channel Live in PAL Regions  (Read 5719 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Wii Forecast Channel Live in PAL Regions
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:12:05 PM »
For once the PAL gamers get something first! Updated!: The Forecast Channel is now available in the US as well!

If you're lucky enough to live in Europe or Australia, go turn on your Wii and check out the Forecast Channel. After a system update, you'll be able to check out the weather all around the globe. Those of us in North America will have to wait for Wednesday the 20th to roll around before we can stop going to weather.com and start spinning the Wii's weather globe.    

Check out ShackNews for some images of the Forecast Channel in action.    

Update: As of the morning of 12/19, the forecast channel is now available in the United States as well.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Forecast Channel Live in PAL Regions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »
"If you're lucky enough to live in Europe or Australia..."

"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline WPack911

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Forecast Channel Live in PAL Regions
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 03:33:44 PM »
Any word if that Dec. 23rd date leaked by one of the Euro Nintendo higher up's on the Internet channel is gonna turn out to be true?
Does Nintendo Still rule after all these years?  Maybe now more then ever.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 04:09:16 PM »
I hate you all even more now...
(not really but I really wanted that channel at launch.  It's now not as nearly as useful...)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:36:21 PM »
Yeah, I got home today to see my Wii glowing in that blue neon disc tray way. So I fire it up and see that there's a new message. Blah blah blah new channel blah blah blah Forecast? Oooh, not bad at all.

System update and some configuration later, I check the weather. 12 degrees celsius? Hardly. Considering it was a maximum 33 degrees today and it was still light out (around 25 to 30 would have been believable).

I hope it is more accurate than that. Aside from that its a very sexy interface. I can drag the world around and see what the weather is like in the middle of nowhere, which is the safest part of nowhere.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 11:36:09 PM »
You guys need to do a more in depth on it

COuntrys and locations are baised on were your home country is set to:

example:
Australia: can see all of australia's city and popular towns, yet can only see minimal Europe and USA states
UK: can see alot more of europe and local weather such as manchester
Macedonia: unavailable

personaly I wish you could see all the locations, also seem the "current weather" system is broken or not 100% working yet... was 35c today, yet said 11c at 4pm

Offline Bad_Religion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:09:52 AM »
I woke up to that great blue glow and my Wii updated and we have it in the states now!  Kinda cool to play around with, now we just need that opera browser......

dave
Wii Number:  8526-2251-0750-4691

Offline otimus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 01:55:01 AM »
and now the Opera Wii trial has a date.. 22nd.. and it's soon. These are good days ahead!  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 02:56:32 AM »
I figure the country bias would be because each country or region has a different primary provider for the weather so they'll only have limited out of country places.
(Oh I'm updating my Wii as we speak with the Forecast center... Ah ha it came slightly early)

Little Sun progress meter is cool.

Boo... The future place I'm going to live isn't in there even though my current city of residence is...Go figure...

I sort of wish there was a way to put country borders up.

It's interesting how they are trying to make it look like a Weather News Forecast on all the parts.

All my Weather was from 12AM and what happened to the channel label itself showing the weather like the original demo did.  Not as handy now...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 02:59:45 AM »
Well you can still see the current weather in the menu when browsing channels, but yeah the thumbnail version isn't there anymore.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Dark_Sloth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 03:03:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

I sort of wish there was a way to put country borders up.

Definately. I could use some brushing up on my geography.
Weather is pretty cool. I was spinning the globe for a few minutes at 2 in the morning. The south pole is amazing.
My town wasn't on there either. Which kinda sucks. I was hoping they would have added it by the morning. Oh well, Los Angeles is close enough.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 03:44:20 AM »
Neat, but I'm not impressed.  Gimme the internet channel, pls.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 03:45:55 AM »
Dudes, I've got the forecast channel, I'm in Canada btw. Holy sh!t, hahahaha, it's wicked btw.

Webcam shots:
uv index

today

tomorrow

5 day forecast

globe

globe zoomed out

globe earth

wii forecast channel  

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 04:07:31 AM »
I am in the proccess of downloading. I'm sure the channel is neat, but I hope this doesn't count as our holiday surprise (that Reggie announced). I mean, it is somewhat of a suprise, since it was released a day earlier than it was supposed to in the US (this page says December 20), but I am expecting more!

Edit: Nintendo needs to update their new software message. It is still saying that parental controls were added and that we can change them. They were added a month ago!
Thanks for listening.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 04:35:58 AM »
Forecast channel = REEKS OF AWESOMENESS.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 04:51:20 AM »
I tried it before I went to work this morning, and agree: My Wii Awesomeness Level has risen by 3 or 4.

And I also agree: current weather is janked at the moment.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 05:13:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
Dudes, I've got the forecast channel, I'm in Canada btw.

That's the confirmation I was looking for.  Quit ignoring Canada, you Americans!  We have more land mass that you!  And more beavers!

I'm at work right now, and I have no windows here.  Is someone able to tell me what it says about Edmonton this afternoon when I get off from work?  Or does it not that give that kind of detail unless it's local?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 05:34:27 AM »
JonLeung, it doesn't give a temperature for the afternoon (12pm to 6pm), all it shows is a picture representive of the weather, in your case it was a bright sun so I guess it's going to be Sunny, 6pm to 12am it will be clear (shows a moon).

I'm in Toronto btw, and I could still check Edmonton with the exact same settings that I can locally, unless I missed something of course lol.

Edit: Actually, the moon is only indicative of it being night time, so if it has a bright sun it is still clear but it is indicative of day time.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »
I can actually see myself using this...the computer takes too long to boot, the weather network takes too long to get to the local forecast...it's kind of handy.

Plus, the globe is just fun.  Any astronomy buffs know if the stars in the background are accurate?  I saw a couple of constellations that looked approximately right, but I don't know that much about it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
That's the confirmation I was looking for.  Quit ignoring Canada, you Americans!  We have more land mass that you!  And more beavers!

What's a 'can did ah'?

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 02:07:31 PM »
Dear UncleBob,

if I could, in some sci-fi manner, access your physical self through my monitor then I would surely have already pulled your nipple hairs, to which you would twist in agony and shame.  

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »
6hr forcasts are also available for some areas (click the current condition graphic)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 07:29:52 AM »
Constellations are accurate in the globe view. Keep in mind you have to be looking sort of from the opposite of the globe to see them correctly, since it's a space-to-earth view.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 09:38:51 AM »
So far I've managed to identify Orion's Belt, I was trying to find the Big Dipper but I had no such luck.