Author Topic: Next advance wars  (Read 11594 times)

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Next advance wars
« on: December 10, 2006, 06:23:38 AM »
Anyone know if they have another advance wars in the pipeline for the ds. I liked Dual strike a lot, and i'm hoping the next instalment has wi-fi, but i haven't heard much. Anyone know anything?

Also anyone know how much Advance wars DS sold? As that might give me some insight to wether or not they'll make a sequel.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Next advance wars
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 06:41:15 AM »
a sequel will come trust me, there was two of them on the GBA and one on DS.  They all sold pretty well, nothing huge just not bad though.  I think the DS version got overshadowed by Nintendogs even though they are completly different games, they did however come out at the same time.

Intelligent Systems is currently working on Fire Emblem for Wii, so it might be a while before we see a new Advance Wars.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:25:22 AM »
Wi-fi Advanced Wars sounds pretty neat, but too many ppl. would disconnect (can you blame them? those battles drag on for hours and hours)

so they need to tweak things / make smaller stages available over Wi-Fi
I'll shut up now...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »
They need to make it touch based with a new interface and graphics engine. If there's one game that can benefit from a touch screen, this is it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:26:44 PM »
I have nothing aganist the interface. It allows for people who like the old button system and touch screeners like me to play several times faster than the old method.

A new graphics engine would be nice.

But the game may have reached it's end game. It is limited by it's theme. There doesn't seem that much more can be added to the current game before it becomes a "complete" game. What I would like to see would be Massive maps that would start to push the unit limit without mech/infantry spamming.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 08:44:42 PM »
There are many units that were in previous Famicom Wars games but aren't in the Advance Wars series.

I'd like to see some more infantry units, the current selection is pretty crappy.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:26:16 AM »
perhaps a scout sniper unit could be of some worth.

they could have great vision and specifically be used to take out Recon units or perhaps greatly damage helicopters/tanks/Anti-Air units
I'll shut up now...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »

But the game may have reached it's end game. It is limited by it's theme. There doesn't seem that much more can be added to the current game before it becomes a "complete" game. What I would like to see would be Massive maps that would start to push the unit limit without mech/infantry spamming.
There is one huge thing that can be added and that is WiFi play. I held out on Dual Strike because I thought this one was coming... still no sign of it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
RE:Next advance wars
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict

they could have great vision and specifically be used to take out Recon units or perhaps greatly damage helicopters/tanks/Anti-Air units

I don't think you undersand the game. It is a battalion/company level war game. You will never see "sniper" units or "hero" units. They wouldn't be in the sprit of the game. Those units are far too "local".

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 03:59:33 PM »
Actually I "could" see a sniper/recon infantry type unit. But infantry on mountains already get a huge bonus to sight. However, i completely agree with KDR that the game needs more infantry, and less tanks. The need for a megatank was unnessesary. The light, medium, heavy (or in AW's case Neo) was perfect, although i have my beef with neo tanks getting more movement space and ammo than medium tanks, it should be the other way around.

There are alot of things they could add to this game:

1) Larger maps pushing the unit limit higher
2) More players per map
3) More units
   -More infantry, 2 types of infantry is pretty lame, battalion wars had so many infantry units they could work with and balance some of those units (anti-air infantry, scout infantry, stealth infantry - for sneaky past enemy lines and to capture buildings, but they proabably have to be expensive, or infantry that work like spies in Red Alert, if you sneak them into an enemy owned building you get intel on the enemy, such as postioning of units or enemy funds.)
   -Possibly a specialized vehicle class that takes no or little damage from indirect fire
   -An air-refueling plane, and apc's should not be allowed to refuel planes/copters
   -They could use more naval units
   -They can create blitz units, or units that can attack twice in one turn given each attack is 50% weaker then normal attacks, and each attack consumes a certain amount of the units movement space

4) They can make deployable buildings that cost funds to maintain
   -For instance, they can make a deployable Com-station, you buy it from the barracks and its a unit (like a tractor) and then you can deploy it whenever you want, but once its deployed you get the SUPPLY taq every turn, and it takes funds from your account, and if you can't meet the funds it will be destroyed.

-You can apply this to new building ideas and old, like you can deploy cannons, or have deployable watch towers, or many other possiblilities.
  -And your enemies can destroy or capture these deployable buildings

5) They can do more with CO's and tagging and other CO related stuff

6)Wi-Fi with SAVES! Yeah wi-fi would be awesome, but would suck if you couldn't save the game, because these AWS matches do last a loooooooooong time. But i feel that enabling saves would help it out.

As you can tell i love this game, and I hope they come out with another version.

EDIT: Did not know a colon with a D makes a smiley face... Thats suppose to be aw : ds  

DOUBLE EDIT:   Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this and its a big part that they could add to the game! They can add indirect fire units which damage multiple adjacent squares per turn of fire, but only effects infantry units. This would stop a great majority of the infantry spamming that occurs in some AW games.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »
Infantry could get mortars, heavy machine guns, anti-air missiles, anti-tank missiles (on a troop that performs better than the mech inf and can actually wipe out a tank squad while requiring better anti-infantry units to destroy), various commando abilities, etc. Tanks should have their MG nerfed to require infantry support if you don't want some AT infantry to kill your tank group. Or add tank destroyers that lack the MG but have as much firepower in their main cannon as proper MBTs (would not be effective against infantry, realistically you'd have a hard time hitting infantry with a tank cannon).

Eh, maybe I'Ve played too much Company of Heroes lately...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 09:48:22 PM »
Mortars, HMGs, AAMs are assumed to be used/equiped at that level. With set piece warfare you only see the overall ability of a unit not individual weapons. Each square in AW is equivalent to about 5 -10 Km wide. Infantry mortars don't have a hope to cross that.

You could have mechanized heavy mortars. But why have that when you can have Artillery. You could give the mech mortar shoot and scoot ability, but then that in itself is silly since everything takes over a day so your already assuming that your shooting and scooting the whole time in its block.

WW2 tank destroyers are obsolete as an idea. If you can put a MG on it you do. The next best thing would be Humvees/jeeps with heavy AT missiles. Tiny target, quick, light, leathal. But cosidering how much wheels suck in this game they wouldn't be much good aganist real tanks. The ability to fight while inside APCs maybe a good compromise. More expensive than a tank, but can unload to capture cities.

As for building stuff, that is a tricky idea. Being able to build coms would break the game big time. Bunkers might work, but being able to modifiy the terran almost at whim cause the pace of the game to grind to a halt not too dissimiliar to trench warfare. There is a reason why black cannons don't rotate.

Spies don't work as they are "local" units and due to the fact that they would be considered a hidden unit would set off an ambush situation and stop a unit from moving further. It would be it would become a an invisible road block. Same would apply for land mines.

As for human wave attacks, well the tactic speaks for itself. Its the old Quality Vs Quanity argument. Unless it is a mech rush most tanks would hold up well and unkillable in a city allowing you enough time to bring more units in. You could spam back.

The flying fuel tanker in itself is a interesting idea. But aircraft in AW are supose to be limited how far they can go by being tied down to units that can't go everywhere.

You have to ask yourself how it would affect the existing framework outside of the targeted units.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 12:05:56 AM »
Mortars, HMGs, AAMs are assumed to be used/equiped at that level. With set piece warfare you only see the overall ability of a unit not individual weapons. Each square in AW is equivalent to about 5 -10 Km wide. Infantry mortars don't have a hope to cross that.

Yes but why can't an infantry company kill an armor company then? Or shoot down a wing of gunships? Why isn't it assumed that an armor column will include an anti-air vehicle?

WW2 tank destroyers are obsolete as an idea. If you can put a MG on it you do.

Sure but destroyers usually have cannons or heavy missiles for attacking ground targets and even fighters can carry a few ATGMs if necessary so AW doesn't require realism.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 02:03:40 AM »
Perhaps spies can be visible that way you don't have invisible walls. It'd be nice to get intel on your enemy i think it would add alot to the game.

As for refueling planes, they make you invest more to the air of the game, as of now APC do ALL of the resuppling and i think that makes air movement unlimited, with air units rarely needing to fly back to base to resupply. If you added air refueling planes, then they would become prime targets for the enemy to destroy as they would be the only means to refuel for planes away from base, and some strategy of air warfare in the game would change. And of course those air-refueling planes would be more expensive than an apc.  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 08:39:28 AM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict

I don't think you undersand the game. It is a battalion/company level war game. You will never see "sniper" units or "hero" units. They wouldn't be in the sprit of the game. Those units are far too "local".

um i do understand the game; in fact i made an 'A' in my ECON 2106 while destroying the campaign mode and war room. I'm not suggesting that the sniper serve as a hero... just a marine scout sniper duo (spotter and shooter) or hell go ahead and make ten of them.. i'm simply suggesting that this stealthy unit should have very limited movement but should be practically unnoticeable on the field of combat.

i guess it's all semantics
I'll shut up now...

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 05:21:04 PM »
I think they should just add quick modes for online
much like bomberman, screen gets smaller after 25 turns

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »
Advance Wars DS 2 info

No clue what the Hell Micromania is, but who cares?

Entire new cast
Entirely new graphics (realistic, no more cartoons )

Hopefully we'll get some screen shots or other new info soon.  No word on online play.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »
I bet that's fake.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 12:55:11 AM »
Same. What a disaster that would be.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 01:35:58 AM »
Yesh why change to realistic graphics? What's the fun in that?

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 07:32:26 AM »
What exactly was wrong with my thread?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 08:47:06 AM »
The title of your thread is Advanced Wars; so when I do a forum search for Advance Wars (the correct spelling of the game) it doesn't come up.  Simple as that.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 10:50:13 AM »
Oh...

You'd think with hundreds of hours into this game I'd get that right.... although I did have it right in the actual post.

Seriously though, I was volunteering to manage the thread I started with news regarding this series.... I'll fix the title. Kind of like what Bill does with the Smash thread.