Author Topic: Analysts Predict Apple May Join Video Game Business  (Read 6234 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Analysts Predict Apple May Join Video Game Business
« on: December 06, 2006, 07:41:22 AM »
Article here.  Apparently they've been hiring some software and hardware developers to this end.  Apple could be an interesting competitor.  Like Sony it is a hardware business which allows it more flexibility.  Unlike Sony, it's not invested in lots of bleeding-edge technology and it has some perspective on being an underdog.

To me, Apple could be a much bigger threat to Nintendo than Sony or Microsoft because of its expertise in digital distribution and the fact that it's not already married to a traditional console design.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Analysts Predict Apple May Join Video Game Business
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 07:55:29 AM »
You mean we get a second Pippin?

Apple wouldn't stand much of a chance. If the current consoles all had some major flaw that Apple could capitalize on to establish a market they might be able to get a share but without that they'd have to take the Microsoft route and brute force themselves into the market to get the games they need to not be another footnote in the history of failed consoles (although it would probably just get added to the Pippin). Sony has the brand name and recent history of many buyers that gives them games, Microsoft has huge amounts of money to buy games and Nintendo has Nintendo. How would Apple get games?

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Analysts Predict Apple May Join Video Game Business
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 08:20:50 AM »
KDR beat me to it but Apple had a console in the mid-ninties.
It was called the Pippin and it was beaten like a "red headed step child".

Apple might start distributing games via it's iPod and later the iTV and iPhone.
I can't see Apple even competing in the console market, they just don't have the money.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:23:04 AM »
With three proven competitors already in place I don't think Apple would have a chance.  Hell I think having three consoles is one too many.  There's no way four would be able to survive.  There is always at most two competitors that have a legitmate shot at the top spot and everyone else gets limited to being niche.  The TurboGrafx-16, Saturn and Gamecube (sadly) all got squeezed out.  Right now I would say that either Sony or Nintendo is going to end up the odd man out (though I think MS will end up number two; it's make or break for the Japanese consoles) and Apple would probably end up even worse.

Plus even assuming that somehow Apple could knock out at least two of the competitors the time to do so has passed.  All three consoles have been released and it's far too late for a fourth one to show up.

One thing that can happen is a console can survive due to success in certain regions.  Genesis was one of the big two in North America but not in Japan.  In Japan the PC-Engine was number two instead.  I suppose if MS and Apple were the big two in North America they could co-exist with Sony and Nintendo being the big two in Japan.  But then I've noticed in Japan you're either number one or you're nothing.  They don't seem to be as accepting of a number two console as we are in North America.  In Japan there always seems to be a HUGE number one console that gets nearly all of the third party support (NES, SNES, PSX, PS2).

Apple could however release a portable.  I think that would make more sense since there really is only one portable to compete with.  The PSP is finished.  Apple does have the benefit of having a strong brand name with the iPod.  There's already an iPod Video, so why not an iPod Game?  An iPod that also plays games could do well provided Apple doesn't do what every failed portable maker ever has done and go with too powerful of hardware at the expense of battery life and price.

Offline kings x

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 08:28:19 AM »

EDIT: guess Ian beat me to my point...

'i-pod game'

imagine all the classic, plud flash games, plud all the indie games that are so great for handhelds, done right on a slightly modified i-pod video... add touch controls (and maybe even built in tilt sensors) and non-games, and you've got the cool next i-pod.

And that could work out since it will still work as a regular ipod, and I know people that always buy the 'new model'.  Wifi gaming and game downloads at the apple store and apple could do pretty well.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 08:45:15 AM »
I'm going to also point out the Microsoft was in the game business before the X-Box.  They had made a fair amount of good Videogames and had a good amount of publishers on one of their platforms already.  Apple doesn't have that at all.  So far from what I can tell the iTV is a joke compared to a comparable Media Center PC.

They should stick with their strengths and make a UMPC like the Sony UX90.

The only reason that Apple would get into the console business is to be a trojan horse to get iTunes into your living room.  Much like how some DVD players can play videogames.

They could break in.  There has been weirder things.  But with only 1 out of the 3 companies profitable and there not the hip one.  Why would you want to?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
Apple won't get back into the gaming market and I will give you the #1 reason why you will NEVER see it happen, Its the same reason why we will NEVER see as Apple PDA; Steve Jobs will NEVER bring back or duplicate any of the projects that were created during his exile of Apple. Steve jobs is still repairing all the damage that happen while he was gone and while John Sculley and Michael Spindler were the CEOs.

If Apple does anything with Videogame consoles it will most likely be joining up with one of the current 3 to give their system full iTunes support. I truly hope its Nintendo if it happens. Thou there is the other option of Apple buying out Sony. Sony is in pretty bad shape and Apple has more then enough money to do a buy out. and not only would Apple get Sony's game devision they would also get their movies and music which would be great for iTunes.

As for the iTV I personally love the idea, its a cheap add-on for your TV that lets you watch movies you have download on your PC. A Media Center PC costs alot more and is just what the name says a PC. iTV is not a computer.

And as for the iPod games, they are already doing that. For $5 you can download games like Pac-man, Tetris, Zuma, Vortex, Cubis 2, Texas Hold'em, Mahjong, Bejeweled, and Mini Golf (hey its already a better library then the PSP)
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »
Oh those kooky analysts, saying whatever the hell they want and pretending they are relevant.  Such hilarity!
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 01:57:40 PM »
Never said I wanted a PDA.  There is a big difference between PDA and UMPC.  The iTV from what I read doesn't even give me more then a 360 without games.  I'll try to find the predicted price again and do some comparison probably this weekend.  

Agree about the iPod and PSP.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 03:31:01 PM »
Apple has said they will ship Q1 2007 for $299
The iTV will be about the same size as a Mac Mini but only half the height.
It will enable content to be streamed from any computer running iTunes (Mac or PC) onto any TV with iTV hooked up to it. iTunes currently suports every format Quicktime suports. So unlike a Xbox360 or PS3 we'll be able to watch almost any movies without converting them (this includes Divx).

Not a whole lot more is known about it yet, there is talk that you will also be able to access iTunes and download movies from it and maybe even DVR feature. We'll know more once its released.
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:55:53 PM »
Sounds like the NGage of the console business. It's destined for failure.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 05:02:45 PM »
The iPod is competing in the cellphone games market.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 05:33:09 PM »
[note: I did not read the article posted above before replying to this thread]

I'm not sure where everyone got "console" out of the "entering gaming market", but I've read a lot on this today while at work(other articles & replies), and it seems like Apple wants to expand what they are already doing with iPod and possibly start making exclusive gaming content for the "all-but-dead" Mac gaming scene.

It could even be possible that iTV will let the user play some non-grafix-intensive games on their tv from the computer using the remote control. There is absolutely no way Apple will spend $$$ doing R&D to make a console(2010?) to compete in a market where Nintendo is the only profitable contender and Sony & MS are bleeding money out of their ears fighting for the living room space.

What I would like to see happen is Apple team up with Nintendo and release the iWii, which will be the Wii Premium, with full iTunes support(iTV built in?), 100GB HDD (for music, videos, pictures, game saves, VC games, DVR, etc. etc.), more RAM, and whatever else you could think of and maybe release it for $499-$599. But nothing of that sort will ever happen.    

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 06:32:24 PM »

Originally posted by: capamerica
Apple has said they will ship Q1 2007 for $299
The iTV will be about the same size as a Mac Mini but only half the height.
It will enable content to be streamed from any computer running iTunes (Mac or PC) onto any TV with iTV hooked up to it. iTunes currently suports every format Quicktime suports. So unlike a Xbox360 or PS3 we'll be able to watch almost any movies without converting them (this includes Divx).

Not a whole lot more is known about it yet, there is talk that you will also be able to access iTunes and download movies from it and maybe even DVR feature. We'll know more once its released.

That can't be right.  That would make the iTV a media streamer.  Thats it...  *shrug*  I withhold judgement till my friend gets one and I can mess with it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 06:32:55 PM »
what
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 12:50:18 AM »
???

Perm where did you get that picture from?
It's kinda scaring me.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 01:07:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Galford
???

Perm where did you get that picture from?
It's kinda scaring me.

That pic is back from the old "Apple and Nintendo joining up" rumors and "what will the DS look like" threads way back when.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 05:36:44 AM »
Thought I already posted...here I go again...

Originally posted by: Strell
Oh those kooky analysts, saying whatever the hell they want and pretending they are relevant.  Such hilarity!

That's what I thought when I first started hearing rumours that Microsoft would make a console.  I have to admit, I think the most likely thing that will happen here is that Apple will go halfway on turning iPod into a game system but not really do enough to challenge Nintendo.  Still, it's an unknown quantity.  I don't fear Microsoft or Sony because I know what they're offering and I see how it's not a real threat to Nintendo.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 05:38:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell

Beat me to it...

I always thought Apple should develop games. Steve Jobs does a magnificent job of hiring immensely talented people and then terrifying them into doing the best they can do +10% more. If you were to apply that same dedication toward game development, I'm sure they could make some interesting titles.

Also, the Wii is an obvious choice for an iTunes Store channel: all new iPods operate off of USB connectivity (which the Wii has) and, for some suspicious reason, the photo channel has support for Quicktime media, Apple's proprietary format, yet neither the 360 or the PS3 have the same media available to them.

If the Wii can run Quicktime, then Apple and Nintendo have already sat at a bargaining table somewhere.

Question is, what else is coming as a result from that sit down?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 06:33:11 AM »
The Photo Channel has QuickTime support?  I've heard that before too but it doesn't play my .MOVs off of my digital camera...unless my camera encodes them weirdly, but I can still play them just like any other QuickTime video file on my computer...

Well, "we" includes "I" and "Wii" includes "i".  The Wii and iPod share the same white-and-sleek aesthetic.  There's no .MP3 Channel despite the ability to play them (also demonstrated in the Photo Channel) so maybe an iTunes Channel is in the works?  They could also work together to deliver other content like QuickTime movie trailers.

I've never considered myself an Apple fan but I think this could really work out.  In Apple's case especially, though I did like the idea mentioned already about an iPod Game.  iPlay?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 06:40:29 AM »
my movs dont work, it says in the instruction manual that it uses quicktime format, but iv only been able to get the format from my digital camera to work, Zapped is great, especially backwards!!!.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 07:11:28 AM »
Gosh, please Nintendo, I don't want the cr*ppy iTunes on my Wii.
Let Apple do its thing and Nintendo take care of my gaming needs. Thank you.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 07:28:20 AM »
The .Mov file needs to be compressed using Motion JPG thats the only one that seems to work right now, and from what I've been able to test their isn't a restriction to what audio format you can use. Thou more testing needs to be done first.

I always found it weird that the Wii lacked a MP3 Player even thou in the Photo Channel you can listen to MP3s.
Maybe Apple and Nintendo are working together so Apple will support the MP3 and Movie play back on the Wii with iTunes.
A iTunes Channel would totally ROCK!

I would love Nintendo to team up with Apple, It would be a dream come true. My 2 all time favorite companies joining forces to crush evil.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 07:29:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy
Gosh, please Nintendo, I don't want the cr*ppy iTunes on my Wii.
Let Apple do its thing and Nintendo take care of my gaming needs. Thank you.

I think you can probably delete the channels to your liking so you'd never even need to see the iTunes channel if you didn't want to.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »
Hmm... maybe if the DVD version of the Wii was also the iTune compatible versiuon of the Wii.... yess... muahahahaha!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.