Author Topic: What more do you think it’ll take?  (Read 8436 times)

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:What more do you think it’ll take?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »
The first two years of its life PSX was outsold by Saturn buy quit a big margin. Saturn never had any break through games though, it had several great games that sustained its users, but nothing to bring in the non-loyalists.

Zelda is still a huge franchise and I think alot of GCs potentila was lost when so many people wee disapointed with WW. regardless of its actualy quality it was percieved as childish and lame by most. TP is getting most people interested in the system. But its still not as mainstream as it used to be. I even know people who think its on Xbox and not Nintendo. sad but true.

The other difference is when GC came out and those who bought it were telling thier freinds about it the first thing asked was, can it play DVDs. when a no answer came that was that for most people PS3 doesnt have that cuz so far nobody cares about blu ray and hardly anyone even knows what it is, even people who I know who want Ps3 have never heard of Blu Ray cuz Sony isn't advertising it as part of the package.

I still wish it had that news chanel and weather chanel up at launch when I showed my Wii to my dad the first thing he said was I shoudl have got that Sony Player. Not even knowing what it was. but Dads Sony man all the way.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 02:28:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Galford
what ever game Sony is currently showing in store demos looks infinitely better then Excitetruck.

..when it's not frozen

::runs::  
I'll shut up now...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 02:34:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict

what ever game Sony is currently showing in store demos looks infinitely better then Excitetruck.

..when it's not frozen

Plus for the power difference I didn't think there was really enough of a difference between the two.

:itto::
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 04:14:39 PM »
What it will take is a game that lets 16 (or more) people play against each other at the same time. And I doubt Metroid is going to do that. In fact I doubt any Nintendo published title will do that. Ever. Well, I guess if they go for a Pokemon MMO that might count.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: What more do you think it’ll take?
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »
I agree with Galford. They need something to get people on board before Halo 3 and a bigger supply of PS3s show up; it wouldn't hurt to flood the VC with great games as Mario Galaxy and SSBB are a year away.

Getting the Goldeneye license for the VC would be the coup de' grace. No matter how much it costs, or how many lawyers they have to deal with, they should get it.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 04:51:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict

..when it's not frozen

Plus for the power difference I didn't think there was really enough of a difference between the two.

:itto::

Are you kiddin? I was mesmerized by the dirt flying up from behind the cars alone...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
While Halo 3 and MGS 4 will certainly be big games I don't see them drawing in the crowd everyone expects.  Halo 3 is catering to the current xbox fan and many of the previous Halo fans already have a 360.  This game will be big but nothing groundbreaking enough to make too much of a difference.  With how the second ended I would expect any new players to the series to feel left out.
MGS4 will be another big game but it simply isn't at the same level as MGS 2 was when it came out.  It is the fourth in the series so some of the hype has died and if I remember correctly the third one didn't sell as well as expected (can you confirm this?).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 03:13:06 AM »

Originally posted by: bustin98
What it will take is a game that lets 16 (or more) people play against each other at the same time. And I doubt Metroid is going to do that. In fact I doubt any Nintendo published title will do that. Ever. Well, I guess if they go for a Pokemon MMO that might count.

Personally I hope Metroid doesn't do any multiplayer at all.  Co-op may be acceptable but not really.
Now on the other hand I would like to see a tactic game or a multiplayer/squad base/coop game in the Metroid Universe with those flunkies that hire her.  But not Samus herself.  It be like TP but with Link getting split like Four Swords.  No thank you.  Four Swords was good but it has no place in my main game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 04:19:11 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
It is the fourth in the series so some of the hype has died and if I remember correctly the third one didn't sell as well as expected (can you confirm this?).

Snake Eater sold 3.75 million copies worldwide, 1.2 million of which were in the US (so you are right in that 4 probably won't push a huge number of consoles).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 04:23:50 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
While Halo 3 and MGS 4 will certainly be big games I don't see them drawing in the crowd everyone expects.  Halo 3 is catering to the current xbox fan and many of the previous Halo fans already have a 360.  This game will be big but nothing groundbreaking enough to make too much of a difference.  With how the second ended I would expect any new players to the series to feel left out.
MGS4 will be another big game but it simply isn't at the same level as MGS 2 was when it came out.  It is the fourth in the series so some of the hype has died and if I remember correctly the third one didn't sell as well as expected (can you confirm this?).

I agree on Halo 3.  I think the game will sell some systems, but I don't see Xbox 360 becoming the next PS2 just because of Halo.

MGS 4 may have a bigger impact simply because PS3 is still getting started, but I also think it's losing its appeal.  I did some digging and supposedly MGS2 sold around 7 million units on PS2 alone.  MGS3 had sold 3.6 million as of the launch of MGS3: Subsistence, so maybe it's sold around 5 million total?

GTA should be really interesting.  It was so huge last generation, but I wonder if people really want to spend all that money just to play a graphically enhanced version of the same old game.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 05:19:00 AM »
"Plus for the power difference I didn't think there was really enough of a difference between the two."

But there is still a difference.  The general public isn't really supposed to know the difference.  Public knowledge that the Wii is underpowered will lose some sales.  It sure as hell won't convert the PS3 crowd anyway.

I think Nintendo's best option is a new franchise altogether.  Zelda, Metroid and Mario didn't sell Cubes so why would they sell Wii's?  Who is going to buy a Wii for Metroid Prime 3 if Metroid Prime 1 & 2 didn't attract them to the Cube?  They need something new that new fans can relate to.  After all part of the goal is to attract a wider audience that isn't going to be familiar with the classic Nintendo franchises.  On the Cube Nintendo relied WAY too much on franchises and it's no wonder that few beyond Nintendo fans cared.

Though I think Metroid could sell better with better marketing and Zelda is still cool, it just didn't help the Cube because Wind Waker stripped away everything that made "Nintendo is k!ddy" types interested in Ocarina of Time.  Metroid and Zelda PLUS something new would be a great combination but "the Cube games you didn't buy NOW WITH MOTION CONTROL" alone isn't going to do much.

When an entire generation of gamers has decided that Mario is for babies giving them tons of Mario isn't going to accomplish anything.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 06:39:25 AM »
While MGS may not sell like it use too, about 90% I know who want a PS3 want MGS 4.

Plus in 2008 the Wii has to endure FF13.  In Japan it will be a system seller and in the US
it will be a must buy.

It's just too early to tell which way this generation is going to go.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 07:48:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I think Nintendo's best option is a new franchise altogether.  

I completely agree. Nintendo needs a new Rare. When they teamed up with Rare for the N64 we got Goldeneye, Conker, Banjo Kazooie, and other great games that didn't depend on Nintendo franchises. I love Mario and Zelda but it would be awesome to get something of their caliber that's totally new.  Or they could just make it so you could use your Mii in Mario Party and make a fortune that way

My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 08:01:11 AM »
Hmmm...

I agree with Galford in that the test for the Wii will be how well it stands up to MGS4 and FFXIII on one side, and Halo 3 + other X360 hit title on the other.

Personally, I can't imagine the Wii breaking out without at least one major, undisputed third party AAA success story. This means DQIX, a Red Steel -esque game done RIGHT, or something else I'm not sure of.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2006, 03:23:43 AM »
What was DS' major undistputed third party AAA success story?  It's probably Square Enix's Final Fantasy III or Sega's Love and Berry - but DS broke out in Japan 10-12 months before those games were released.

Of course, I'm in the, "Wii is like DS and can succeed the same way as DS did" camp.  Some people don't agree on that.  I do believe Wii will have a hard time reaching the DS' level of success considering the Xbox 360 hit the market much earlier and MS and Sony both have decent reputations in the home console market, however, I can still see Wii grabbing up a ton of marketshare and even taking a first-place victory - just not as decisively as the DS vs. PSP.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
My dad was agaisnt video games altogether. He never played anything sicne the odl atari. He asked me why Id idnt get the Sony player cuz he says it is better cuz Sony is the best.

Wii sports changed everything. We play as a family at night and that is a HUGE accomplishment for my family. If its niot Tetris or Pac-Man they dont care. If Nintendo can get a Tetris liek DS had they will be hooked. BUT my parents won't buy a Wii but they might buy games for it.

If I move too far away and they can't play mine anymore they might get one once the nes channels start working cuz that is what Dad is harrassing me about all the time.

I think they just need to keep doing what they are dpoing and start gettign the kinks worke dout. Once News, Weather and Web Browsing channels all become functional I think Wii will be more imrpessive to the adult non gamers who consider video games toys. My dad would deffinelty get one then, he stated such.

I don't think they should rely on a single hit success story to sell the system,a dn I agree wholeheartedly with Ian, the gaems that DIDN"T sell the Cube WON'T sell the Wii. I have friends taht are SOLD on Wii (who HATE Nintendo and praise Sony as god) who are alrady getting Wii based on Sports games alone, Wii sports was the itnroduction Madden was the final sale.

THEY still think Metroid Prime 3 is crap and arent interested at all. Loved Red Steel so its a start. But I am witht hem, Wii needs mroe FPS games and some REAL shooterse liek House of Dead, THAT will sell systems and wipe out the (you knwo what) perception in once shot. N64 didnt have that cuz it HAD Doom, Quake, MK, Godleneye, etc. Cube had a few M rated games but werent noticed.

Everytone is undecided on Galaxy, even me. Everyone loves Mario World, Mario 64, and New Mario Bros, everyone I know hated Sunshine and isnt too impressed with Galaxy so far. (Dont flameplease its juts personal perception) so if Galaxy is good and wins me anbd my friend sover I am betting it will affect teh PS fanboy crowd cuz deep down they are all Mario fanboys too juts REAL Mario games not the spinoffs Cube got.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982