Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3204378 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #875 on: March 16, 2007, 05:06:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
If Sony announces this HOME BS, and that same week I see 17 PS3s, then I can't see HOME being as cool as they thought it was.

Sony priced the PS3 at such a figure that only the most hardcore gamer would ever consider picking one up just for one or two "cool" games, or a concept in this case I suppose.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 16, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
I'm sure some of the people that picked up a PS3 so far, did it solely to use it at as a cheap Blu Ray player. At $600 PS3 was the cheapest Blu ray player you could find, I think the next cheapest one was around $850-$1000 for a stand alone. That would explain why no one is buying software, but the movies are selling pretty well.

and just for record keeping purposes and easy referencing:
February NPD

Software:
360 CRACKDOWN 427K
Wii PLAY W/ REMOTE 371K O_O
DS DIDDY KONG RACING 262K
Wii LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS 130K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 130K
360 GEARS OF WAR 119K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 113K
360 LOST PLANET: EXTREME CONDITION 111K
Wii WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES 109K
360 NBA STREET HOMECOURT 102k

Video Games Software (up 28%)
2006: $ 345M
2007: $ 441M

Hardware:
Nintendo DS 485,000
Wii 335,000
PlayStation 2 295,000
Xbox 360 228,000
PlayStation Portable 176,000
Game Boy Advance 136,000
PlayStation 3 127,000
GameCube 24,000
Xbox 480

VG Industry (HW, SW, & Accessories - up 53%!)
2006: $639M
2007: $978M

*Source: The NPD Group.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #877 on: March 16, 2007, 10:14:10 PM »
Fantastical.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 17, 2007, 04:40:35 AM »
I think Nintendo is trying to be cautious. One day, hopefully later than sooner, the systems aren't going to be flying off the shelves at the rate at which they are now. If Nintendo spends money opening new factories that they are going to have to close in 3 or 4 months, it adeversely affects their profits. Although it would provide a boost in sales, since more available would translate to more sold, the boost would be temporary. Eventually the supply and demand will level out to a point where their current rate of production will be fine.

My hope is that with their high controller prices, cost cutting production methods, and the fact that they're making money on each console sold, that they are hoarding money now, to prepare for the losses of their next system. This system is already in development, although perhaps still in the planning stages. It is unlikely that they won't be entering the graphics war next gen, but hopefully they'll be able to keep the price down with all the money they make on the Wii.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 17, 2007, 06:37:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Fantastical.

I think you mean "fantastication".
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 17, 2007, 09:05:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Fantastical.

I think you mean "fantastication".

Fine Gentlemens! I believe I am not mistakenly in pronouncing your faculties of ear most befudged with wax!

I believe that the utterance that you are stretching for is "BEAUTACIOUS" am I not most correct?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 17, 2007, 09:14:32 AM »
Well, I meant...

"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 18, 2007, 05:40:38 AM »
 So im the go to guy for Wiis in my area. This morning I just picked up my 8th one. I get to Toys R Us at about 6:30 AM, and im surprised to see no one there. I figure well maybe hype is dying down

By 7:30, 2 more guys show up and we just chat all morning about the industry. By 10 AM over 60 people are in line, and there are 52 Wiis at this particular Toys R Us. Im still amazed that Nintendo really has a hit on its hands.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #883 on: March 18, 2007, 06:09:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Caterkiller
By 10 AM over 60 people are in line, and there are 52 Wiis at this particular Toys R Us.

That's quite a crowd... but I'm even more amazed that there were 52 Wiis sent to that particular Toys R Us this week.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 18, 2007, 06:34:15 AM »
Well I just talked to the lady I was getting the Wii for and it turns out she went to another Toys R Us and got one too. Well now I have an extra Wii and don't know what to do with it.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 18, 2007, 06:36:56 AM »
Interesting... Whereas NPD puts Wii sales in January at about 436,000 units, Reggie in an interview with San Jose Mercury News pegged the number higher, probably due to Nintendo's own internal shipping and sales tracking mechanisms...

The fact that we sold 494,000 (consoles in January) ... certainly speaks to getting as much product into the marketplace as possible.

NPD is after all, a system of estimations. I'm willing to bet that Nintendo's internal tracking service is more accurate and reliable.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 18, 2007, 06:38:23 AM »

Well I just talked to the lady I was getting the Wii for and it turns out she went to another Toys R Us and got one too. Well now I have an extra Wii and don't know what to do with it.

I'm sure you'll find someone who's wiiless and would love for you to sell them your extra.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 18, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »

Sell it on ebay! That is what I do.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 18, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »
You'll fetch another $40-60 on eBay, but like Kai said, I suspect if you just wait, you'll find someone to buy it off you.

In fact, I guarantee that if you bring enough people over to see Wii Sports, ONE of them will buy it.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #889 on: March 18, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Interesting... Whereas NPD puts Wii sales in January at about 436,000 units, Reggie in an interview with San Jose Mercury News pegged the number higher, probably due to Nintendo's own internal shipping and sales tracking mechanisms...

The fact that we sold 494,000 (consoles in January) ... certainly speaks to getting as much product into the marketplace as possible.

NPD is after all, a system of estimations. I'm willing to bet that Nintendo's internal tracking service is more accurate and reliable.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
NPD tracks US sales ONLY, whereas Nintedo is giving the whole continent sales (all of the Americas), that's why they're higher....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 18, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »
Know what? I think I might be totally full of sh*t, more so than usual, even.

Last I remember hearing, NPD doesn't include Wal-mart sales, right? If that's the case, then they're probably at least 1.2 mil per month.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 18, 2007, 12:37:52 PM »
NPD estimates for the retail outlets that don't provide sales info. So the numbers you see include the estimations for Wal*Mart too.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 18, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
Ah, I see.

Still, I'm sure accurate Wal-mart numbers would provide a higher number overall.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #893 on: March 18, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Ah, I see.

Still, I'm sure accurate Wal-mart numbers would provide a higher number overall.

Well both Nintendo and Sony quoted the NPD figures this month. So they either must be pretty close to the actual figures, or were better than them.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline utarefsoN

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 18, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »
anyone know the list of retail stores that NPD get actual numbers from??

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 18, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »

Well both Nintendo and Sony quoted the NPD figures this month. So they either must be pretty close to the actual figures, or were better than them.
Well, they extrapolate, and might be generous and add a bit. But also, I think Nintendo feels that people will take the NPD numbers more seriously, since they are an external, third-party source. Even if Nintendo's own tracking figures are more accurate, many probably think of NPD as more reputable because of the perceived bias, or think Nintendo's numbers are only "shipped consoles" or whatever.    
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 18, 2007, 04:39:59 PM »
In other words, good news about Nintendo sounds more convincing coming from someone other than Nintendo.

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 20, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »
I don't know if this is it's own thread or if it belongs here but...
Click here for Nintendo's Stock Data...
It's the highest it's been since Nintendo went public in 1991.  Scratch that - it's the highest it's ever been.  If Nintendo fanboys ever put their money where their mouth is...
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 20, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »
What do you mean, Nintendo fans are not putting their money where their mouth is? The stock is sh!t hot because every Nintendo fan and their mother's uncle are striping store shelves clean of Nintendo stuff.

Besides, did learn nothing from the 2000/2001 .com crash? You'll never make money on a stock if you don't buy it at a discount. Let's not get derailed into some stock advice thread, though.  
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 20, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »
Well this news doesn't surprise me because I knew the game would be hot but here it is for everyone else.

Twilight Princess surpasses the 4 million mark

According to all the sales data it gets broken down like this.

Wii version - 3.08 million

North America - 1.55 million
Japan - 560,000
Europe - 970,000

Gamecube version - 1.17 million

North America - 850,000
Japan - 40,000
Europe - 280,000

Both versions total - 4.25 million

Here's the lifetime sales for the other Zelda's to surpass 4 million

Ocarina of Time - 7.60 million
Legend of Zelda (Original) - 6.51 million
Link to the Past - 4.61 million
Adventures of Link - 4.38 million
Wind Waker - 4.35 million

So when you see this Twilight Princess will easily surpass Link to the Past, Adventures of Link and Wind Waker this year.  But when you look at the attachment rate and how well the game is selling, the chances are really good that Twilight Princess will actually surpass Ocarina of Time and the Original over the next several years and become the best selling Zelda.

And when the next Zelda for the Wii wont be out until at least 2009, I dont see sales slowing down anytime soon.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai