Author Topic: In this thread we vilify those who said Wii would be easy to get  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
In this thread we vilify those who said Wii would be easy to get
« on: November 19, 2006, 05:22:48 AM »
including me...

Seriously, I really didn't believe that people would catch on this quick. I thought it would a relatively insular launch, and like the GameCube a few places would be sold out while others places would have stock left. Also...did Nintendo undership? I'm not making an excuse, just wondering when reshipments arrive, how many, and how many launch units were consumed in that first precious hour.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: In this thread we vilify those who said Wii would be easy to get
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:00:46 AM »
Tsk. I'll just let all the others rush the stores that accept preorders while I walk into Schauland and grab one. I don't think it'll have a worse supply:Demand ratio than the Xbox 360 and I've seen lots of those unclaimed on launch day.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE:In this thread we vilify those who said Wii would be easy to get
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:09:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
including me...

Seriously, I really didn't believe that people would catch on this quick. I thought it would a relatively insular launch, and like the GameCube a few places would be sold out while others places would have stock left. Also...did Nintendo undership? I'm not making an excuse, just wondering when reshipments arrive, how many, and how many launch units were consumed in that first precious hour.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I'm in the same boat.

STUPID SYSTEM, WHY'D YOU HAVE TO GO BE SO POPULAR?  IT'S A NINTENDO PRODUCT, PEOPLE.  YOU'LL SELL IT IN EXCHANGE FOR A PS3 EVENTUALLY.  WHATEVERR!

Small families with *EXCITED PARENTS* braved the cold morning and beat me to it.  Crazy.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »
Honestly, I thought I was wrong going into this. I thought Nintendo wasn't advertising much and that that would be the key to everyone wanting one.

I wouldn't hassle people for it, though. While I'm glad for Nintendo's success, it sucks to hear so many people didn't get Wiis.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:18:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Honestly, I thought I was wrong going into this. I thought Nintendo wasn't advertising much and that that would be the key to everyone wanting one.

I wouldn't hassle people for it, though. While I'm glad for Nintendo's success, it sucks to hear so many people didn't get Wiis.

Oh come on! You know deep inside, you are saying to yourself; "I told people the Wii would sell out, but did they listen? Noooooo... I was the fool that PRE-ORDERED, well look the fools are!"
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 06:27:42 AM »
All I can say is something is fishy on the shipment numbers.  I have a feeling a bunch of stores will get a few more early next week.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 06:29:05 AM »
Monday, in fact.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline chris1932

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 06:32:25 AM »
Is a Monday shipment a fact? Because if so, I'm all over that.
hello

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 06:38:13 AM »
Here is the4 rundown ehre, our K-maert had 3 Wiis, i was first in line so I got mine and there was another guy behind me and when we left someone esle had stumbled in to ask about the thrid.

Target hada HUGE line but only nine systems. Fred Meyer only had Nine systems as well and had to turn peopel away. Wal-mart said they had thiers all accoutned for last night by 8:00 PM, Gamestop only had nine and they didnt even fill the pre-orders. Shop-ko, no official word just sold out. Sears, not even sure what Wii is )stupid Sears reps don;t know anything.

The store managers I talked to said they expected Ps3 to sell out but were totaly unprepared for Wii madness. We had people camping out over night at every single store that sold them (well excpet K-mart I got lucky there
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 08:46:26 AM »
I live in a small new development area and the lone Walmart in the area only got 12, The next closest Walmart (10 miles away) got 50, and a bunch of other stores would not tell me but they said i was too late.  Fortunately a Toys'R'Us about 20 miles away got 160 for a midnight launch, i was 69th person in line.

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 08:53:04 AM »
I think the internet hype is what sold the wii, much like it did for the film Borat.  I honeslty wasnt expecting what I saw last nite either, old, young, women, men all camped at wally world, best buy, and game stop all for the wii, I was like wow!  

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 08:53:04 AM »
(Edited Doublepost)

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 09:45:56 AM »
I got my wii (yay for preordering).  Only I failed to get any extra controllers.  Oh well, Ive got all I need to play Zelda for now, so that makes me happy.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline MLS_man_64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 10:31:01 AM »
Yo, I got to a local rural Wal Mart last night at 10:50, (town size 15,000).  Five years ago, my Dad went to the midnight launch for the Gamecube, was fourth in line at 11:30, only eight people showed up, and the store got 14.

I showed up to an astonishing long line, I was twenty fourth, waited till midnight, and then found out that they only got 20.  What they couldn't just tell us?  Was it better to make us wait in the cold to get nothing?

There were several Moms’ with small children, some teenage girls even, and some old guys that looked like they didn't care about the system but just wanted to sell it on EBay. (Yes, in my book that is treason of the highest offense).

All Nunchuks sold out, as well as all VC controllers.  Their were two wiimote's left, and three VC point cards.

"I want to be some muscle bound guy dressed like Rambo with a huge gattling gun shooting aliens while I'm snowboarding down an erupting volcano."---Ian Sane

"If you put a $10 ticket up two bucks, that's a 40 per cent jump," he said.---The Toronto Star

If a broken 360 is on a store shel

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 02:50:54 PM »
lol Rat? wal-mart in Jerome didnt cut it so you drove to twin?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MLS_man_64

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 03:21:49 PM »
Huh? Rat?
"I want to be some muscle bound guy dressed like Rambo with a huge gattling gun shooting aliens while I'm snowboarding down an erupting volcano."---Ian Sane

"If you put a $10 ticket up two bucks, that's a 40 per cent jump," he said.---The Toronto Star

If a broken 360 is on a store shel

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 03:32:08 PM »
Thanks for that "reserves aren't needed" advice Pale and Jonnyboy Reliable source of news and information INDEED.

I waited in the cold for eight hours after getting shut out at three different places. Part of me is glad it came down to that though. Makes me appreciate my Wii more.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 05:35:01 PM »
I'm glad I decided to wait on my Wii purchase. I would be really pissed right now if I got out of the comfort of my bed on a sunday morning only to be denied at every store I wasted precious gas driving to.

I'm holding out for either a) Someone buys it for me, b)They release a Black Wii, or c) *They release the Wii with DVD capability

*hopefully the Black Wii is the one with DVD capability and someone buys it for me.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 03:38:54 AM »
You don't need to reserve, unless you MUST have one on Day One.  Nintendo will have consistently large shipments throughout the end of the year and beyond.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 03:48:23 AM »
I got to the store 8 hours early and I recieved ticket #12 and the store had 24 units. A Best Buy I visited had 63 units, but a pretty beasty line. I'm just glad I have the system, now I can finally relax lol... I guess being paranoid about not being able to get one paid off in the end.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 05:17:04 AM »
I was absolutely amazed at the lines for the Wii. When I went to Wal-Mart and saw about 60 people waiting for 24 systems, that's when I knew I had to get a sweatshirt and go hang out in front of Best Buy for a few hours.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 01:36:21 PM »
Wow, do you guys all live in puny-ville, or is Canada just a superior nation?  The Wal-Mart I went to is the "smallest" in the city, and still got 54 units.  We heard rumours when we were lining up around midnight that there might only be 16-18, but those were patently false.  I think just about everyone who showed up by opening time got one, but I'd say only the ones there by 5:00AM were "for sure".  By comparison, the same store only got 6 PS3s.  I can't wait to see the hardware sales for November!

P.S./Edit: I did say it would be easy to get, but I changed my mind after the preorders were so popular.  For those living in Europe and hoping to get one on launch day, I strongly recommend phoning the stores you want to go to a day or two before, and check for lineups around 10-11 PM the night before.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX