Author Topic: So I've gotten numerous disc read error messages  (Read 4225 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
So I've gotten numerous disc read error messages
« on: November 19, 2006, 03:40:41 AM »
Occasionally, I'll pop a disc in, and the Wii will make some unpleasant chugging sounds before telling me it can't read the disc. I'll then restart the console and reenter the disc, and then it usually works. I think my Wii may be borked. Unless it gets much worse, though, I don't think I'll be sending it in until next year.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: So I've gotten a couple of disc read error messages
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 03:49:30 AM »
do your stand sideways?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 05:36:41 AM »
It was vertical. It is now horizontal - much as it pains me. We'll see if that fixed the problem.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 05:43:51 AM »
That sounds wiird.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:30:02 AM »
You're sure the disc was the right way up right?  It's confusingn when it's vertical.  That said, when I first put my Wii Sports disc in (the first disc I put in my Wii) I'm positive it was right way up and I got a disc read error.  It hasn't happened since
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:So I've gotten a couple of disc read error messages
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 06:54:50 AM »
Yeah they should have put a THIS SIDE UP label on the system cuz I keep putitng mine in upsidedown cuz I cant remember which way it goes. I am sure ill get used to it but still a pain in the neck right now.
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »
That's such a minor thing to bitch about....

....Jesus Christ.....
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 05:25:27 PM »
My Wii sports did that the first time I put it in but it hasn't repeated yet...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
I haven't had any problems, and I've put in four separate games...(vertically-standing)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 06:06:45 PM »

You're sure the disc was the right way up right?

Pretty sure. I've continued to have problems even with the system horizontal. Fortunately, though, it's only an occasional thing, and I haven't had any problems during gameplay.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 05:25:11 AM »
I only had that problem once and that was because I put my wiisports with the label side facing the laser...oops!  It's been fine since I figured out which way the discs go. on that note, I gotta say the front loading optical drive on the wii is the best i've ever seen. It works better than my CD player in my car.  
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline SeaBass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 05:28:23 AM »
if your wii is standing vertically, the disc's label has to be facing to the right. if your wii is horizontal then the disc label faces up. hope that helps
Wii# 4310-0130-1625-6299

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 06:40:06 AM »
I get this error, but ONLY with Wii Sports, I've loaded Zelda Excite Truck and Rayman with the console on/off and there was no problem

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 09:04:10 AM »

and I haven't had any problems during gameplay.

I spoke too soon. To the shop Wii must go!

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 02:18:52 PM »
I sent this letter 26 hours ago, in ign-style first person plural:

Hello, our Wii is giving us disc read error messages. To start with, we would occasionally get them after inserting a disc, even though the discs were clean and inserted the correct way. After putting one in, the system would make a chugging sound, and then give us a message that said the system couldn't read the disc, and to eject the disc and restart the console. Recently, we got that message in the middle of playing Zelda.

We'd like to get this taken care of by Monday - so we were thinking, instead of repairing the system, we would just get it replaced. The problem is, we have Virtual Console games on the system's internal memory that we don't want to lose. So we were wondering if there was any way we could transfer all of the content and settings from the Wii we have now to another one.

Thanks.

No reply yet.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
Yeah... From experience I know you can't... But others have said they are succesful...  Also I put skins on my disc and sometime they Wii won't read through them right other times just fine.  I normal just take the disc out and put it back in and all is fixed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
Finally got through to Nintendo. They said something like, if the system is damaged beyond repair, they'd refund the money spent on Wii points, but since our system is repairable, they won't. Jerks. We're getting the system replaced, which means 50 dollars spent on Wii points down the drain.

I don't think I'll be rebuying any VC games. For Zelda and Sonic, I have the Zelda bonus disc and Sonic Mega Collection...so I'll just buy a Hori Digital controller to make them playable. For the others....I'll reacquire those that are worth reacquiring, using more nefarious means.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 09:49:12 AM »
Wii60 in more ways than one?

Nintendo's VC policies need to be fixxored.  Or did you have the option to get the same system back, but didn't feel like waiting that long?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 09:50:08 AM »
Wait, the games you purchased should STILL be free considering you won't be opening a new account, but using the same one with your new Wii...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 10:21:05 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Nintendo's VC policies need to be fixxored.

QFT. This is a little silly, especially seeing how it's around launch-time. They should be extra accomodating for now, at least until they can work the bugs out of their systems.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »

Or did you have the option to get the same system back, but didn't feel like waiting that long?

I did have that option. And if it were entirely up to me...

Wait, the games you purchased should STILL be free considering you won't be opening a new account, but using the same one with your new Wii...

But aren't accounts tied to systems?

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 11:37:47 AM »
I called once more just to make doubly sure. Even after giving the representative my best puppy dog eyes (hard over the telephone), she told me, as nicely and sympathetically as she could, that I had only three options:

Send my Wii in and wait 2-4 weeks.

Get my Wii replaced in 3 days (or faster if I do it through Wal-Mart), but lose $50 worth of Virtual Console games and Wii points.

Drive 500 miles to the nearest Nintendo Authorized Repair Center.

Oh well.