Author Topic: Wired internet connection  (Read 5108 times)

Offline LuWoo75

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wired internet connection
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:04:14 PM »
I still have a wired network and I remember nintendo stated that there was some sorta solution that required a usb adapter that xmitted wirelessly.  My question dose anyone remember this?  Is this going to be for sale? How are the wired customers going to connect their wii to connect24?

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Wired internet connection
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 02:28:22 PM »
There are such things are bridges that plug into ethernet ports and transmit wirelessly, but there's no way for us to know right now if they work or not.

Logitech makes some called GameLinks or something to that effect.  They seemed to be designed for the Xbox but should work generically.

The other option is to get the usb->ethernet adapter that, inevitably, will probably only be offered online through Nintendo.com or something equally disappointing.  I don't get why they can't just ship these out in low quantities and monitor it from there.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Wired internet connection
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:44:44 PM »
The device that Nintendo put out is called the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector.  It does work fine with the Wii.  The USB dongle is secure because it only allows DS (and Wii obviously) to interact with it, and you have to grant each device permission.  I have to say I have never had any issue with mine, it is quite useful.  

The only problem I see is with the WiiConnect24.   The dongle only works while your computer is on, so the connection will only exist while the computer is on.  The "download content while you sleep" option would only be viable while your computer is on.

However, Nintendo stated that there is a Wii LAN Adapter coming out, so you may chose to wait for that.  I don't think it made launch, but it is sure to be cheaper then the Wi-Fi USB Connector.  
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 04:19:12 AM »
Thanks for the links, hopefully the will be available at launch.

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 04:31:10 AM »
I have a really good wired network setup, but I think I'll opt for a Linksys Wireless-N modem whenever broadband comes about in my area.  I really don't want to have to have a LAN cord running across the living room floor for the Wii to be on-line.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 04:38:29 AM »
I'm going to start out using wireless, and possibly buy a wired adaptor later. I'm sure wireless will work fine, but I guess I just have this "use wired whenever you can" idea.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 06:33:06 AM »
God, they better hurry up with releasing the Wii LAN Adapter... even if it's just online at their store just release it!!!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline z64dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 08:45:10 AM »
JUST FYI

I went to Best Buy Today (SATURDAY)

they had the wi-fi USB Wii thing for $40
Zelda. For life.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 09:08:37 AM »
I have one question for you guys.  I bought a Linksys router today.  Now I have a problem.  I don't have a wireless card in my pc.  So if I run the cable through the router, my desktop can no longer be connected, and vice versa.  I have one ethernet connection.  So, my choices are ...what?  Either buy another ethernet card in order to run the desktop hard wired while also connecting wirelessly to the wii, or buy a wireless network card for the pc, which is more expensive.  

Am I understanding this correctly?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 09:46:14 AM »
The Nintendo Wi-Fi thing doesn't work with my firewall, which is ZoneAlarm.
I've tried numerous times to make it work but no luck.
So it's basically there in my room, in its box and I wasted 40 euros on it (about 45 bucks). And I never got to play my DS games online!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 09:54:57 AM »
My dorm blocked the ports my DS needs... /cry

The Wii ports will probably be blocked as well. GOD I need a friend who has DSL...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 09:55:01 AM »
The Omen: That's what the router does. The router has a WAN port (your broadband plugs in here), LAN port(s) (your desktop plugs into one of these), and acts as a wireless access point (connects to your Wii/other wireless devices).

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 10:42:24 AM »

Originally posted by: AnyoneEB
The Omen: That's what the router does. The router has a WAN port (your broadband plugs in here), LAN port(s) (your desktop plugs into one of these), and acts as a wireless access point (connects to your Wii/other wireless devices).

I do that, but it doesn't connect to the internet.  What am I doing wrong?

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline MLS_man_64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »
Omen, just spent 8 hours today trying to figure this problem out, download the Linksys Eazy Link Advisor from their website.  It will run its program like normal and fail, then unplug everything exactly as it says and fail, then do the even more exact instructions thereafter and you can get it to finally work.

Worst eaze of use product ever.

I hope this info helps you, post back if you are still having trouble.
"I want to be some muscle bound guy dressed like Rambo with a huge gattling gun shooting aliens while I'm snowboarding down an erupting volcano."---Ian Sane

"If you put a $10 ticket up two bucks, that's a 40 per cent jump," he said.---The Toronto Star

If a broken 360 is on a store shel

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 02:30:03 AM »

Originally posted by: MLS_man_64
Omen, just spent 8 hours today trying to figure this problem out, download the Linksys Eazy Link Advisor from their website.  It will run its program like normal and fail, then unplug everything exactly as it says and fail, then do the even more exact instructions thereafter and you can get it to finally work.

Worst eaze of use product ever.

I hope this info helps you, post back if you are still having trouble.

Thanks, That did the trick.  Man, what a pain in the ass.  Now even more of a pain is being Wii-less.

Offline MLS_man_64

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 10:42:08 AM »
Sweet, glad I was able to help.

But seriously, this whole ordeal was inexcusable on Linksys's side.

At minimum wage, I would have made $40 for the work I put into this thing.  It cost  $55, the thing essentially cost me $95 dollars of life
"I want to be some muscle bound guy dressed like Rambo with a huge gattling gun shooting aliens while I'm snowboarding down an erupting volcano."---Ian Sane

"If you put a $10 ticket up two bucks, that's a 40 per cent jump," he said.---The Toronto Star

If a broken 360 is on a store shel

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 03:51:57 PM »
I spent 2 hours of sick time ( thanks to line cold weather), trying to figure this thing out.  Here's my current setup.

LinkySys WRTG54 Version 5 Router.  One USB wireless signal receiver.  One DI604 Dlink Router...

I have a direct line from the street running into the DI604 Router.  Then a ethernet cord is pumped from that, to the Lynksys.  I have the LynkSys  USB thingy hooked up to the Wi, and for the life of me I can't get it to connect.

Any ideas?

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 05:36:16 AM »
edit

finally got it working!

How secure is it to be entering info  for virtual downloads?

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 07:36:08 AM »
I tried connecting to the Wii servers using the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector.  Surprisingly it was able to detect it all the way from across the house (bout 300 feet and down a floor).  That said, I have NO IDEA where the hell it got the Wii's name from (from the USB Connector's console), that's not what I named it.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 07:44:12 AM »
According to Nintendo's online store, the Wii LAN adapter will cost $24.99 (a total ripoff for what it is) and won't ship till January 2007. I'd post a link, but the URL isn't permanent...if you go to http://store.nintendo.com/ to the Wii section, you'll see it.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 08:00:27 AM »
I noticed that too.  Eventually, it got my name changed, and t he blue standing man, turned to a blue running man.  I was afraid someone else had tapped on to my connection and closed it down..