Author Topic: SD Cards  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
SD Cards
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:04:46 AM »
Hey all, I didn't get enough time to really play with it so I'm not confident enough about this to make it a news story.  Jonny is going to look into it tomorrow...

But it seems SD cards may only be usable for the photo channel out of the box.  I could not get them to work to actually store game data.  Upon reading the manual, it said that a broadband connection may be required in order to back up data on an SD card.  Does this mean the Wii has to download an update to work?  Possibly.  It's also possible I'm just an idiot and was doing something wrong.

I'm very confused about it and I can't wait for Jonny to dig deeper.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Chris1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: SD Cards
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »
hmm maybe this sd card had to be formatted by the Wii?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:SD Cards
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
Well Pale I know that there is a data manager in the wii like how there is a memory card manager in the gamecube. Also MP3's should work with the Wii because there is also a MP3 codec in it. Did you play arround in Wii's data manager? If you can't locate it look at IGN's video where Matt made the view about IGN's test unit and how he showed off part of the interface and menu screens.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »
Yeah I did the data manager and everything.  I went pretty deep.  Notice in Matt's video how there is no sign of an SD card?  It just wasn't there.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 02:13:31 PM »
Well Matt's Wii was a test/debug unit so it can be assumed that a lot of the features are stripped due to lack of firmware its noticeable due to only the disc channel was available. Did you try putting some MP3 songs in the SD card and try playing those in the photo channel or in excite truck(assuming if you have it)?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
Photo channel worked fine with my card.  I just wanted to save the Wiis I made to it (cause I won't see them again for a long time) but there didn't seem to be anyway to do that, or even save Wii save games to an SD card.  Basically, there was no way that I could find to access an SD card other than through the photo channel.

The data management part of Matt's video is identical to what I saw on the Wii itself.
---------------------

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »
Didn't Nintendo say you could use SD cards to save info to? I mean, what good would it be otherwise? Photos? Oh boy. So exciting.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 03:54:06 PM »
I think I remember in Matt's part with the Debug unit that you can manipulate the SD in the memory management, so possibly you will have the move the saves to the SD card using that. (But it was only a debug unit.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »
I won't say where I heard this, but Pale, I have been told your "problem" is not so much a "problem" as it is a feature.

I've also heard a bit more about this than what you explain, and suffice to say, it made me cry.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »
What about USB media?

I've heard surprisingly little about that lately...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
What about USB media?

I've heard surprisingly little about that lately...

Didn't Nintendo said that USB media wasn't available at launch, but would be later on...

I am not 100% sure though, so don't eat me!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 04:46:37 PM »
The instruction manual itself says that SD cards can be used to "back up" your date.  I'm not sure what that means.  It also says that a broadband connection "may" be required, which seems to point to a possible update requirement.  Regardless, I'm pretty confused.
---------------------

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 05:20:21 PM »
You can use an SD card to play custom soundtracks in Excitetruck!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »

a broadband connection "may" be required

perhaps, if you want to load virtual console games from an sd card, big brother needs to check to make sure they're legit?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 05:26:25 PM »
It just may be that there was trouble with the firmware for the Wii, and they will need to get an update on it right away. (Because IGN is whining because the weather, virtual console, etc didn't work because it needed an upgrade.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 02:04:18 AM »
Pale, you need to talk to tech support or something. >.>
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 04:48:17 AM »
Instructions on using custom soundtracks in excite truck

How to Select Music Tracks
1. Insert your SD Card into the Wii console.

2. Begin or continue a game and enter any race. Before the race begins, press + on the Wii Remote to access the Sound Options screen.

3. Select the "SD Card" option.

4. Any MP3 files available on your SD Card will be displayed (100 songs maximum). To choose a specific song for the race you are about to enter, highlight that song. You can also choose to randomize all songs shown for that course. Highlighting "Default" will play the standard in-game music.

5. Press 1 to return to the Sound Options menu, then 1 again to return to the pre-race screen. You can also use the "Sound" command at any point during the race to change the current song.  

Offline Garnia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 04:49:57 AM »
 This memory management system sounds confusing. Does anyone have a good idea of how much memory the system has bult in to save game data? Roughly, how much game saves can be done with it?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 05:31:13 AM »
The memory management system really isn't confusing at all.  You go to it and it's set up just like the Cubes.  The internal memory of the Wii has a certain amount of blocks you can fill up.  And you can read GameCube memory cards in the same way you did on the Cube.  It works fine.

The confusion comes up when you realize there is no option to look at an SD card.  I don't have the Wii anymore so I can't really take this farther.  Hopefully Jonny will today when he gets it.
---------------------

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 06:33:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I just wanted to save the Wiis I made to it (cause I won't see them again for a long time) but there didn't seem to be anyway to do that...

Aren't the Miis stored on the Wiis internal memory, not the 512?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 07:09:14 AM »
Caliban, that also seems correct, as there was no sign of them in the actual memory management part.  In the Mii part the only option to save them was to transfer them to a remote (which did me no good as well).

Heh, in short, even if the SD feature was there I'm not sure I would have been able to save the Miis.

Also, apparently the Wii does try to upgrade itself as soon as you connect it to the internet, but fails.  According to Nintendo the servers will not be live until the 19th.  This upgrade could solve all of these issues.  
---------------------

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »
I wish Nintendo would give us some more facts on data storage, like when or if they will support External Hard Drives.  I got a 250gb External Hard Drive just waiting to be used for it but I am now very doubtful they will support External Hard Drives.  I'd be willing to buy an SD card but I think I'll wait till the internal flash memory is near filled.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 10:48:04 AM »
Heh, every Nintendo site is going to be killed on 11/19.  Server Slaughter!

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 10:23:22 AM »
I dunno I plan on playing a $hit load of Wii and quickly trying to get homework done (so i can play more games).

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 12:38:55 PM »
It seems like Joystiq, in their ongoing attempt to tell everyone how much Wii sucks, had a similar problem to me.  They failed to mention that the manual says a broadband connection may be required.

I think it's pretty definite now that the first update that no one can get until the 19th will fix this problem.  No worries for all of us who can't get one until the 19th.  unless the servers to kersplode
---------------------