Author Topic: It seems we have a winner...GameCube philes be damned!  (Read 19860 times)

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
It seems we have a winner...GameCube philes be damned!
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:57:58 AM »
Forgive me for not burying this in the Zelda thread, but it's just SO LONG and OFF TOPIC.

Translated by kotaku.

Famitsu says...
“The oneness with the character has improved greatly than a past controller.” Take mini games, like fishing, which are done with the Wii remote. They called the Wii-mote operation “more intuitive.” Buttons are for things like jumping. While the new controller and nunchaku are for moving and attacking. Likewise, they couldn’t say enough good things about the game. The November 10th issue of Famitsu will feature a more in-depth look on paper.

GameWatch says...
Flicking or shaking it causes Link to attack. Game Watch noted that the controller is light and does not cause the wrist to get tired after extended play. Play is intuitive, and Link moves smoothly. Controlling Wolf Link is like controlling human Link. The game’s graphics, they liked them. The site states, “Controlling Link and moving the controller and seeing Link synchronize with the movements was a different kind of exhilaration from anything out there.” Game Watch calls the one-two compatibility punch of Twilight Princess and the Wii-mote “preeminent.”

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/twilight-princess-first-impressions-hit-intertubes-211519.php

So, who's still silly enough to buy the GCN version?

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:It seems we have a winner...GameCube philes be damned!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 07:24:38 AM »
excellent!  this bodes well for a positive launch.  I only wish they had bit the bullet and canned gc Zelda and Paper Mario at e3.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
RE: It seems we have a winner...GameCube philes be damned!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 07:30:42 AM »
"So, who's still silly enough to buy the GCN version?"

Me.  Japanese people like Brain Age and I don't.  They're in love with the DS and I'm not.  So impressions from Japan doesn't mean anything to me.  Our interests aren't in sync.  It is good the games isn't unplayable though.  This at least tells us the controls are competent.

Where is the comparison between the Cube and Wii versions?  Twlight Princess is going to be a great game regardless.  For all we know as good as the Wii version is the Cube version may be better or at least as good, thus allowing a Cube owner to save the money of buying a new console.  The real impressions and reviews to look up will be the comparison articles.  Though since Nintendo is intentionally delaying the Cube version in North America and making it online-only in Japan few articles like that will probably show up which I'm sure was Nintendo's plan all along.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:40:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
So, who's still silly enough to buy the GCN version?

Originally posted by: Professional 666
REAL ZELDA FANS WILL BUY BOTH VERSIONS

Me.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 08:26:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
For all we know as good as the Wii version is the Cube version may be better or at least as good, thus allowing a Cube owner to save the money of buying a new console.

He's right, why buy the new console when Nintendo is still so strongely supporting the GC!

Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 08:35:33 AM »
I wonder if I was the only one who was so relieved that the sword was still linked to a button and terribly dissapointed when they change it to the current method. Also, I don't see the concern of many about the lack of recognition of the slash direction in that article, was it fixed? I still don't see anything that make the wii version a must-buy.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 08:37:30 AM »

Me.  Japanese people like Brain Age and I don't.  They're in love with the DS and I'm not.  So impressions from Japan doesn't mean anything to me.  Our interests aren't in sync.  It is good the games isn't unplayable though.  This at least tells us the controls are competent.

Where is the comparison between the Cube and Wii versions?  Twlight Princess is going to be a great game regardless.  For all we know as good as the Wii version is the Cube version may be better or at least as good, thus allowing a Cube owner to save the money of buying a new console.  The real impressions and reviews to look up will be the comparison articles.  Though since Nintendo is intentionally delaying the Cube version in North America and making it online-only in Japan few articles like that will probably show up which I'm sure was Nintendo's plan all along.

Planetgamecubes podcast compared them also, i believe by there american acsents that they are not japanese

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 08:41:19 AM »
Edit: Wait a minute, we're turning into fanboys.  GameCube vs. Wii fanboys.  That's ridiculous!  I take back everything I said.  I think the Wii version is going to be awesome fun and I can't wait to swing my sword with the controller, no matter how accurate it is.

But the GameCube version will be great too.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 08:44:30 AM »
Speaking of Zelda, here are some new Wii Experiences!

Zelda Wii Experiences

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 08:53:28 AM »
Fine, you want an English person's POV you jingoist dolt? Here's an employee of the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine:

I must admit, even back at E3 I had concerns about the controls. Would the Wii Remote swordplay get tedious? Would it be tiring? Is the pointing device accurate enough to get me out of a tight spot at the drop of a hat? Thankfully the answers are 'no, 'no' and 'yes'. I have to say though, there’s a mental barrier to cross with the Wii, and it’s one that I’m only just beginning to break through.
Anyway, back to how the sword feels. A laid back flick of the wrist is as good as an intense swipe but when you’re in the thick of it you’ll find yourself really going for it. And no, it isn’t tiring. I’ve been doing 12-hour sessions, simply because I’ve had to, and while my eyes are barely open at the end my hands and arms are just fine. Sorry, I know there are cynics out there who don’t want to hear that, but it’s true.
There’s an area in the second dungeon (Nintendo PR, forgive me – I know I’m not supposed to talk about dungeon 2 but this particular bit is from the E3 demo) where you’re hiding behind crates and are being fired upon by six or seven Moblins. From the moment I first see them to the moment the last one falls lasts about six seconds. It’s literally just point shoot, point shoot. . . and each movement is spot-on, even though three of them are only separated by 5mm each. That’s nothing to do with my skill - that’s just how responsive, lag-free and accurate the technology is.
But what of the sword fighting? Actually, it’s great. There is a tiny bit of lag but that’s because you have to complete the motion before the move is recognised. Honestly though, it’s a split-second thing.

You people are really sad, it's almost hilarious. But instead, just pathetic. The last six months in your lives:

"OMG THIS RULES BECAUSE IT DOESN'T USE THE WIIMOTE."
"OMG THIS GAME SUCKS BECAUSE IT USES THE WIIMOTE."
"OMG THIS GAME MUST BE BAD IF THEY'RE GIVING THE GCN VERSION EQUAL ATTENTION."
"OMG THEY'RE TRYING TO HIDE HOW BAD THIS GAME IS BY SUPPRESSING THE GCN VERSION!!!"
"OMG THESE ARE SO LIARS THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GCN VERSION SO CLEARLY THEY CANNOT JUDGE DESPITE THE FACT THE GCN CONTROLS ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL TO WIND WAKERS."
"OMG I'M A FRICKIN MORON WHO IS SO INSISTANT THAT MY ORIGINAL OPINION BE RIGHT THAT I MUST IGNORE ALL LIKLIHOODS AND EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY."
"OMG I JUST PEED MY PANTS. YUM!"

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 09:02:21 AM »

I have to say though, there’s a mental barrier to cross with the Wii, and it’s one that I’m only just beginning to break through.
Translation:  Anyone who buys the GCN version of Twilight Princess is stupid.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 09:04:03 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Edit: Wait a minute, we're turning into fanboys.  GameCube vs. Wii fanboys.  That's ridiculous!  I take back everything I said.  I think the Wii version is going to be awesome fun and I can't wait to swing my sword with the controller, no matter how accurate it is.

But the GameCube version will be great too.

Sofadude wins.
GOREGASM!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 09:07:35 AM »
I wrote about how much I liked Zelda.  No one seems to believe me though.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »
LOL Ian is the gift that keeps on giving.

Japanese people like Brain Age and I don't. They're in love with the DS and I'm not. So impressions from Japan doesn't mean anything to me. Our interests aren't in sync.

This is banked for future use.  Generalization of an entire country.  The Implication that Brain Age is the only DS game despite several high-selling pieces of evidence to the contrary (including New Super Mario Brothers, which I believe would "sync" interests.)  The assertation that Japanese impressions do not affect him, which jeopardizies any future comments about said about Japanese impressions or reviews.

You know who else loves the DS?  USA and Europe, where the DS and Lite are outselling the PSP and selling at about the same rate as Japan.  America and Europe love Nintendogs, much more than Japan does.  So I guess the correction would be that everybody is in love with the DS and you aren't, which is fine, but nobody really cares about the muffled cries of a niche naysayer whose outdated, illogical, and never-ending complaints go around in a circle, filled with the bitterness that comes from unfulfilled predictions about the future, finding convenient shelter in the "unpopular opinion" bunker.

It is quite difficult to have an unpopular opinion and demogogue for those same people at the same time.

Oh yeah Zelda, Wii, Great Awesome.  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 09:26:36 AM »
My original post mentioned your impressions, Pale, but then I realized I was tearing into the GameCube guys like I would tear into a Sony fanboy saying that Mario is retarded and for kids.  I was stupid.

Yay for Zelda!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 09:40:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I wrote about how much I liked Zelda.  No one seems to believe me though.

I did.

In fact I have gone to the point that I am so trustful of the Wii version that I am not reading any spoiler, I am not looking at any photo spoiler, I am not watching any video spoiler, and I am not listening to any soundtrack spoiler for Twilight Princess. 17 days 5 hours left for THE BIG DAY!.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 09:44:18 AM »
Stay tuned until this weekend for detailed impressions from a different PGC staffer... we'll see if he agrees with me.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 09:51:36 AM »

That is funny, I thought Brain Age was doing quite well in the U.S., along with games like Nintendogs! Ian I am willing to bet your interests aren't in sync with the majority of U.S. gamers either, so I guess you shouldn't accept any person's opinion if you are going to generalize like that. Not to mention the fact that something like whether your arm gets tired or not while playing Zelda would differ from culture to culture. I would even go as far to argue that intuitive and easy controls is something that crosses cultural boundaries as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 09:59:48 AM »

Me. Japanese people like Brain Age and I don't. They're in love with the DS and I'm not. So impressions from Japan doesn't mean anything to me. Our interests aren't in sync. It is good the games isn't unplayable though. This at least tells us the controls are competent.
Then perhaps Pale's preview on this very site might influence you? Or the recent massive article - I think it was Gameplay - that gave it a glowing thumbs-up? Or the German preview?

Nah. It'll be "Game journalists like writing and I don't. So impressions from them don't mean anything to me."

I can't think of a single reason to buy the GC version if you plan to get a Wii at launch other than pure fear of change. I mean, if they launched at the same time I could understand it. But waiting an extra month when everyone raves about how natural the Wii version feels? I don't get it.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 10:00:28 AM »

American people like GTA and I don't. So impressions from America doesn't mean anything to me. Our interests aren't in sync. I'm holding out for impressions from the Swiss.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 10:06:17 AM »
You'll be waiting a long time then, the Swiss are neutral
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 10:17:41 AM »

Stay tuned until this weekend for detailed impressions from a different PGC staffer... we'll see if he agrees with me.

oh my this is good! I thought you guys were left out of the whole Zelda showing that was going on this week with a lot of sites. Im intrigued if there has been any changes in the controls again.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 10:21:07 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

oh my this is good! I thought you guys were left out of the whole Zelda showing that was going on this week with a lot of sites. Im intrigued if there has been any changes in the controls again.

Does it even matter to you if they have? I think you'll dislike the game no matter what, and besides most who have played the recent build say it plays well so I really doubt it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 10:22:32 AM »
"This is banked for future use. Generalization of an entire country. The Implication that Brain Age is the only DS game despite several high-selling pieces of evidence to the contrary"

Future use?  What are you stalking me or something?  And there is no implication that Brain Age is the only DS game.  Or at least that's not my intention.  I'm using the whole Japan thing as an example.  The DS is unbelievably huge in Japan.  Brain Age is also huge there.  So Japanese game journalists probably think Brain Age is awesome and are impressed with the touchscreen features of the DS.  I'm not.  Nintendo games seem to be relying a lot on the novelty of a new control scheme and I'm just not that into that.  So when Japanese game mags are raving about wand waving I'm skeptical because they raved about touchscreen stuff and I remain unimpressed.  It's no different than Japanese mags raving about RPGs about emo teenagers fighting evil empires with lousy gameplay and me responding with "meh".

And seriously stop analysing every damn word I write and relate back to older opinions that may have changed.  Sometimes I don't get the idea in my head into writing exactly as I want it.  So quit bringing up sentences I wrote like two years ago that I don't even remember writing.  I'm also not a robot where my opinions are like logic in a computer program that can't be broken.  "OMG on June 6 2003 you said this!  You can't contridict my interpretation of what you said means ever for the rest of your life or your brain will melt!"

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
Japan game journalists also loved OoT and WW.  Did you like those games?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!