Author Topic: Wal*Mart and Wii.  (Read 20214 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Wal*Mart and Wii.
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 07:53:14 AM »
The key to a successful midnight purchase is to talk to all the wal-marts in your area.  The one that seems the most organized will likely be your best bet.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 08:09:23 AM »
I wonder how soon I should start calling.  I think I'll wait until the week of launch, that way I'm more likely to talk to an employee who knows what the hell a Wii is.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 09:10:36 AM »
Everybody i know here has pre-ordered online with retailers that will send via guaranteed next day delivery. If our places in the queue are good, then we get it dead on launch day before 12pm.

What's stopping you over there?

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wal*Mart and Wii.
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 09:27:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
ARGH!!!

Do any of these mom and pop stores sell on ebay or do mail order or ship or anything?!?!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I don't think they sell on E-Bay, but you can calling them. Their info can be found HERE.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 11:00:26 AM »

Where in North Philly do you live? I'm currently living in the NE (Torresdale and Levick), but I've been all over.

Right off of Broad and Wyoming (Subway Stop). If you've shopped at Game Champ on the regular I've had to see you. I used to stay in there all the time.

Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 04:46:07 PM »
It's very possible. I was usually in Game Champ during my lunch break (which I usually take around 2 PM).
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 09:49:46 AM »

It's coming (Just in case you'd forgotten)...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 09:54:11 AM »
Bob, in your expert opinion, will there still be Wiis left in Wal-Mart stores by about 10 AM on launch days?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »
I wouldn't call my opinion expert, but... No.

I honestly believe at the majority of locations, demand will outpace supply for the launch...

Also, while I haven't seen numbers regarding accessories, I think Wii Controllers will be hard to get at launch as well.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 10:07:14 AM »
UncleBob,
My Wife said at her store for the launch of the 360 People started lining up at 9am on Saturday.  If I get there at 8am where should I sit for the whole day.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
Now UncleBob, whats the best way to score some controllers?  Do they sell them before the launch? or while your standing in line?  do you need someone to save your place while you go and get them from behind the case?  I need to be prepared!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 10:18:30 AM »
I don't think there will be any shortage of controllers.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »
The Wii Controller thing, I don't know about.  I just have a feeling they may be hard to get ahold of.  As far as getting them, I can't say how it'll work at any particular Wal*Mart.  Again, stores have permission to sell them as soon as they get them in stock - however some will probably hold them back until launch.  (Our stores has already had the modular drop with with Wii and PS3 accessories on it.)  I would go in (do not call, most associates hate taking such phone calls, espically during this time of year when we're busy enough as it is) and being really nice to whomever is at the counter to see what kind of infomation you can get from them.

Ceric - it depends on your store.  Some stores will have people there early in the morning, some won't have people there until late in the evening...  Personally, I plan on getting there around 2 in the afternoon (and bringing my DS..)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 09:37:04 PM »
God, getting three more controllers and 'chucks is my biggest worry right now.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »
enjoy ur $180
-Travis Touchdown

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 05:09:08 PM »
Two upcoming Wii ads...

You probably won't be able to tell, but this one says "Minimum 20 per store".  Interesting.

And here's my register at work with my Wii Shrine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/TheUncleBob/1104061942.jpg

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2006, 05:38:03 PM »
Minimum 20 per store?  So your store really is the smallest possible store.  =P  UB, do you think calling the store on launch day and asking them if a line has started yet is a good idea?  Would they answer me truthfully?  What I'm thinking I"ll do is, if I can find out my Wal-Mart is getting a good amount, say, more than 50, I'll just sit at home and call every half hour and head over when a line forms.

I just have a feeling the people at wal mart will get pissed at me for calling so much and start lying to me.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2006, 05:46:02 PM »
Calling them on launch day wouldn't do you any good, since "Launch Day" is Sunday and, probably, all systems will be sold out by about 1 hour after "launch".

Seriously though, if you call every hour even, the store employees will hate you and do everything in their power to prevent you from getting a Wii.

Just plan on getting there early (I'm planning 6PM, but that could change) and plan on bringing your DS (I might bring my NES/SNES/N64/GCN if I can talk my store manager into letting me have some space...) and enjoy yourself.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2006, 06:52:26 PM »
So I went into WalMart tonight to get the 411. Electronics still had no info, the employee there just told me he is taking two days off to get the ps3 and Wii on launch at another Walmart in town.

Interestingly, they were doing handouts and a line for a "$800" laptop that was going on sale for $400 at midnight.

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2006, 08:57:02 AM »
I also went into walmart for some info, and the employee told me to line up at 4:30!  He didnt know how many systems were coming in, he told me " all I know is that the Wii comes out on the 17th" !!!?? and no I didnt set him straight, I just said 'umm thanks'

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2006, 08:57:55 AM »
4:30 what? AM or PM?
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2006, 09:07:06 AM »
4:30AM November 17th.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2006, 01:14:30 PM »
Well I'll have at least 3 other people plus my fiance to camp and play DS with me.  I was planning on getting there between 6-7 pm, but I was hoping I could call just in case.  Hmm.
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 05:44:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Well I'll have at least 3 other people plus my fiance to camp and play DS with me.  I was planning on getting there between 6-7 pm, but I was hoping I could call just in case.  Hmm.

I hope 6-7 pm won't be too late. I was thinking the same time, but after seeing how much hype is surrounding the system, I think I might get there even earlier. BTW did you decide which Walmart you are camping at Pale? I think I'm going to do up the Henrietta store. Since most RIT students will be gone and the Henrietta spot will most likely be getting the biggest allotment it seems to be the best choice.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
Henrietta is probably at the top of my list right now.  Based on Target shipping numbers, the Buffalo area stores are getting more though, so I may go out by my parents.  I haven't decided yet.
---------------------