Author Topic: Deja vu! The Nintendo DS all over again...  (Read 2736 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Deja vu! The Nintendo DS all over again...
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »
Just now I was over at Joystiq when I read some Wii impressions at Bit Tech. While the impressions are positive, it leans on the doubtful side more than once.

Here is the full link:
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/..._Wii_Hands_On/

They mainly worry if the Controller will indeed take off, if the console is mainly a sparkling innovation and that people would look silly playing it.

Now why do I say that this reminds me of the DS? Because back when the DS was announced nearly everyone wondered the same thing; If the DS was too sparkling innovationy, that the PSP was the "sure thing" and that the handheld would not take off because it was too different.

Nearly 2 years later and the DS is not a hit, it's a worldwide SENSATION. Both traditional and innovative games have been featured on the DS, the most successful being simple games that make great use of the DS (Nintendogs and Brain Age).

What surprises me is how people fail to see the GREAT potential the Wii controller has. True, right now the games are simple now, but the DS also featured some simple games at first (and even then, there wasn't truly a game at launch that made great use of the DS. The Wii has more than one game that proves that the console has power behind the "sparkling innovation"). But give developers time to improve on the controls and deliver something truly amazing.

As for the looking silly issue...that certainly didn't stop Spielberg and Jamie Lee Curtis from trying out the Wii. The guys in the editorial look silly because they LOOK silly, not because of the Wiimote.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Deja vu! The Nintendo DS all over again...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 11:03:40 AM »
The full link.

The guy's primary gripe with it is that people will look silly doing it.

Also, he complains that it doesn't feel like THAT much of a departure from the norm, but he ignores the fact that these are 1st gen games for the console and, like the DS, it took a few months for developers (even Nintendo) to really flesh out the controls.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Deja vu! The Nintendo DS all over again...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:08:59 AM »
If you're worried about how you look, then why the f*ck did you make a career out of writing?

What an idiotic juxtaposition.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline zakkiel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »

f you're worried about how you look, then why the f*ck did you make a career out of writing?

Because you never have to worry about how you look when you write? I don't see the contradiction here.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 05:54:45 PM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel

f you're worried about how you look, then why the f*ck did you make a career out of writing?

Because you never have to worry about how you look when you write? I don't see the contradiction here.

Totally, completely missing the point.

If you're a writer, you have to worry about getting rejected all the time for every last article you write.

If you're afraid of that, then you'll never succeed, because you'll be crying like a little bitch the moment you get that tiny letter in the mail.

Point being is that you'd have to be tough to get over that fear and learn to press on.  And if that is the case, then why are you worried about something even more superficial?

$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 07:27:59 PM »
You know someone is trying hard to find something negative to say about the Wii, anything, when he comes up with something like this.

If this is the worst thing about the system, then Ninty has hit a home run on this one!
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »

it looks like those people are having an amazing time, but i just don't know if i want to do it... they look so silly!

[throws flag on the play]
I'll shut up now...

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 09:33:13 PM »
gawd, i thought the only real weakness was that PS3 and 360 could make the Wii look archaic in the graphics department in a few years....

I dunno about u guys but the day i see a realistic looking mario is the day mario died.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 05:47:44 AM »

If you're a writer, you have to worry about getting rejected all the time for every last article you write.
No, you totally, completely missed the point. Fear of literally looking stupid because you're flailing your arms around in font of other people has nothing to do with fear of metaphorically looking stupid because you wrote something attrocious. Witness, the number of people on the internets who write insanely stupid things all the time but won't dance to save their lives.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 07:20:08 AM »
You're changing the subject.  Writing stuff on the internet is not a career move.

That was a really pathetic attempt to bolster your argument.

You can go to any club and see anyone act like an idiot.  But if I were to say that, I'd be saying the same thing you just said, only reversed, and thus therefore very stupid.

The point is that if you are honestly so uptight about stuff like this, being embarassed about playing a game like that is the least of your worries.  You have much greater issues to deal with first.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »
Well if I'm having fun playing the game I really don't care if I look like an idiot.

These impressions were so retarded. He was like, "Oh it's fun, but I look stupid and the graphics aren't too good."
Right... your opinion officially doesn't count.
Check out PixlBit!