Author Topic: Mmmmmmm....SHORTAGES?!?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Mmmmmmm....SHORTAGES?!?
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:09:05 AM »
Now NINTENDO says Wiis might be hard to come by...

Despite having the largest allocation of units available at launch, Nintendo still expects DS-like shortages when the Wii finally makes it hugely anticipated entrance later in the year.

Speaking during the release of their first half financial reports, Nintendo's Yoshihiro Mori confirmed that the Japanese publisher and hardware manufacturer is on course to ship 6 million units before March 31st 2007, but suggested this may not be enough to supply the likely demand for Nintendo's leap.

Whether Nintendo will be able to increase production to meet such demand has yet to be confirmed, though the decision to maintain the allocation at 6 million suggests that Wii shortages could be a problem going into the New Year.

It's Japan, yes, but it bodes well for the Wii.

(at Pale's request, I've edited down the "fear factor" of the post)
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Mmmmmmm....SHORTAGES?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
DS like shortages?  So that means they will be easy to get for the first week of launch and then disappear after that during the Christmas rush.

The DS was easy to get at launch.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the DS Lite and its infamous Japanese launch because that was the absolute worst for DS shortages, where people would have punched their own grandmother in the back of the head to get one (and probably did, knowing some of those whacky Japanese gameshows).

Furthermore, the Wii marketing machine is just starting to stir to life and I expect the TV ads to follow shortly.

Nintendo didn't do for the DS even 1/8th of the controlled delivery they're doing for the Wii, not to mention the fact that the DS basically stumbled haphazardly into the market with crap for a launch lineup while the Wii will explode into stores and media with a pile of powerhouse titles and an aim for a casual family demographic, something which no console has ever done before.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »
That may not be every region.  I expect DS type shortages for Japan and Europe...but not America.

I think you were smart to preorder.  The only reason I didn't is because I want to try and get it at midnight.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »
No I expect to be just like the DS if thats what there saying.  Instant Buyout in Japan, Shortages in Europe, and Walk In and Buy a Baker Dozen Easy here in the US.  That's how it's always been with the DS where I live.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:25:30 AM »
I am really surprised people are still feeling confident about Wii shortages. I'm sure they will be easier to find than, say the PS3, but that doesn't mean that there will be shortages at launch.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
RE:Mmmmmmm....SHORTAGES?!?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:27:35 AM »
As baseless as this story may be, it is exactly the type of thing that would make me cry if I didn't have a Wii preorder receipt under my pillow as we speak.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang I think you were smart to preorder.

Truth be told, being "smart" for preordering isn't my prerogative.

It's not being labeled a "piece of mind seeking fool" that I'm after.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:42:52 AM »
I'm trying to pre-order, and I have several people keeping a look-out for me.  I'm just not sure where.  Hopefully I'll get an online pre-order when those become available.  Otherwise I'll be at Wal-mart, come midnight.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 10:55:32 AM »
My plan of attack is simple.  Walmart at 12am.

Then Best Buy, Target, or Toys R Us on sunday after church (unless I skip) if I don't get one at Walmart.

I am quite confident I will have one on Sunday by 12:00pm if not earlier.

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 11:15:25 AM »
I'm doing the walmart thing too, I wonder how early I should go?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 11:24:48 AM »
Rereading the article... it makes more and less sense at the same time...  

This is specifically about Japan, who are getting fewer units and are arguably more excited about it because the 360 doesn't exist (for the most part) over there.

So this validates your preorder?  We don't care that you got a pre order really.  Good for you.  They will still be purchasable on launch with the minimal of pre planning.  If there is any shortage at all in the US, it will happen the week or two following black friday weekend, while they are waiting for new shipments.

Smash, your attempts at trying to whip the community into a frenzy based on the fact that you have a preorder and they don't kind of bothers me.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 11:33:35 AM »
If they can pump out 2 million Wii at launch and still call it a shortage, then that's the best shortage, ever! It means the system is selling like crazy and Nintendo can't manufacture enough of them.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
DS like shortages?  So that means they will be easy to get for the first week of launch and then disappear after that during the Christmas rush.

The DS was easy to get at launch.

I really don't know where you guys live, DS was tough to find past launch day. Heck right after launch day it was selling for almost double the retail price on ebay so others must have experienced the same thing (I made some nice profits too!)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 11:43:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale We don't care that you got a pre order really.

Really?

That's interesting, because you cared enough to mention me by name in the podcast as a point of ridicule (VGRev, too).

The chance to preorder is coming AGAIN, this time from TRU and a 2nd round from Gamestop.

I'm just saying what I said from the VERY beginning: if I'm wrong, it's no big deal. You preordered which means you have to go to the store that you preordered at. No harm, no foul.

But if Nintendo succeeds in whipping the gaming and NON-gaming world into the frenzy which they no doubt WANT, then Wiis could very well be difficult to come by at launch AND into the remainder of the season.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 11:46:49 AM »
Smash, you miss the point.  You are trying to rub it in peoples face, thus causing unneeded stress on them.  Be a little nicer.  It's great you have a preorder.  You don't have to raise other people's blood pressures by making them think they won't get a system.

And to VG, you caught my post mid edit.  That comment was made mostly because the DS wasn't really THAT much of a hit in the US and I thought the comments in Smash's original post were made by NOA.  The article makes more sense now.
---------------------

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 11:52:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Smash, you miss the point.  You are trying to rub it in peoples face, thus causing unneeded stress on them.  Be a little nicer.

Read my edit.

And furthermore, my original exact words were "So, uh, NOW will people stop telling me how full of sh*t I am?" It's hardly rubbing it in people's faces, just asking not to be laughed at for doing so.

But I edited the first post and the title anyway. I see how it might come across as a "fear" post...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »
If I made anyone feel stupid for preordering, I apologize.  I'm just expressing my opinion that it won't be that hard to find...but a preorder is still a fine idea, and if it hadn't been so inconenient, I would have gotten one too.  This article doesn't have me that worried.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »
i didnt bother to per-order a Wii, because even if i did, i dont have the money to buy one. I will by december, but then it may be impossible to buy. Also, i was at wal-mart and saw datel media max for ds...i might get that
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Possible Wii shortages...(likely in Japan)
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: Pale We don't care that you got a pre order really.

Really?

That's interesting, because you cared enough to mention me by name in the podcast as a point of ridicule (VGRev, too).

The chance to preorder is coming AGAIN, this time from TRU and a 2nd round from Gamestop.

I'm just saying what I said from the VERY beginning: if I'm wrong, it's no big deal. You preordered which means you have to go to the store that you preordered at. No harm, no foul.

But if Nintendo succeeds in whipping the gaming and NON-gaming world into the frenzy which they no doubt WANT, then Wiis could very well be difficult to come by at launch AND into the remainder of the season.

I was mentioned in a podcast? Wow I feel special now, even if I was ridiculed!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution I was mentioned in a podcast? Wow I feel special now, even if I was ridiculed!

Yep, PGC heartily endorses the singling out and ridiculing of its own loyal members as podcast fodder.

The next episode will apparently have a full five minutes about how you love to stomp kittens and I throw babies against the wall.

Seriously, I'm not mad, offended or anything, but if you're gonna poke at me, just expect a few pokes back.

Like I said, Pale, I edited the thread because frightening people was not my goal and you're right in that's what it came across as doing.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
RE: Possible Wii shortages...(likely in Japan)
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

The next episode will apparently have a full five minutes about how you love to stomp kittens and I throw babies against the wall.

Smash please... Ever since that news article those activities can be rolled into one whole making the whole process more efficient and delightful for the one who keeps the site afloat from beyond.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
Man, if I can't get a Wii, PGC staff are gonna pay....

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 01:17:34 PM »

As baseless as this story may be, it is exactly the type of thing that would make me cry if I didn't have a Wii preorder receipt under my pillow as we speak.
Check again. Muahahaha!

I would never keep anything of any importance under my pillow. I'm a restless sleeper, and that's the first palce a Wii Pre-order Thief would look. Not that I am now, or have ever been, a WPT.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric Smash please... Ever since that news article those activities can be rolled into one whole making the whole process more efficient and delightful for the one who keeps the site afloat from beyond.

So the new RFN motto will be "Radio Free Nintendo: It's a kitten stompin', baby tossin' good time!"