Author Topic: EA To Focus More on GBA-GC Connectivity  (Read 5572 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
EA To Focus More on GBA-GC Connectivity
« on: March 06, 2003, 04:30:32 AM »
EA is currently working on 20 titles for GC, and at least four of them will support the GBA-GC connectivity. Also, Miyamoto will support EA's development of these titles.

EA CONNECTS WITH NINTENDO

More Than 20 Titles in Development for Nintendo GameCube and At Least Four to Link With Game Boy Advance

March 6, 2003 - The world's two foremost video game developers, Nintendo and Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced a collaboration on games that will include exclusive features for connected play between the Nintendo GameCube console and the portable Game Boy Advance system. The creative effort will be led by EA, with Nintendo's legendary game producer, Shigeru Miyamoto, providing input on technical game play elements.

The first three EA titles to support connectivity between the two systems will be FIFA 2004, Tiger Woods PGA TOURĀ® 2004 and Madden NFLTM 2004. FIFA 2004 will be available on both systems when the game launches in Europe this autumn and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004 is scheduled for launch in October. Madden NFL 2004 will launch on the Nintendo GameCube and Game Boy Advance simultaneously in August. Over the next 12 months, EA plans to introduce approximately 20 Nintendo GameCube titles from their EA SPORTSTM, EA GAMESTM, and EA SPORTS BIGTM brands. Some of the additional Nintendo GameCube titles are also expected to support connectivity with Game Boy Advance.

A Game Boy Advance can be connected to the Nintendo GameCube system using a cable that links the two systems. Connectivity, depending on each software design, can allow users to exchange various forms of data, unlock new game levels, or use the Game Boy Advance as a supplemental game screen or controller.

"NINTENDO GAMECUBE and Game Boy Advance link up to bring gamers enhanced gameplay, and allows developers to stretch their creativity in unique and original ways." says David Gosen, Managing Director, Nintendo of Europe. "This alliance with EA will build this connectivity into some of the world's most popular entertainment franchises and demonstrates EA's commitment to Nintendo."

"This agreement means that three of the world's most popular sports games - FIFA soccer, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR golf, and Madden NFL football - are going to include a new way to play, and new way to compete on Nintendo systems," said EA Senior Vice President and General Manager for Europe, Gerhard Florin.  

Offline paytonthetank

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 05:00:23 AM »
I don't know if I'm the only one, but getting official word that EA Sports and EA Sports Big are still going to be cranking out GC titles makes me very happy.  I am looking forward to the coming year.  I can't afford to get all the games I want though...
Seventh rule: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 05:34:20 AM »
I'll stick to the PGC Forum motto here.

This makes me wince at what Madden will be focusing on as far as connectivity.  Last year, I could understand no online option for Madden.  I love Nintendo, and only being able to afford one console means I buy a Nintendo.  I was really EXPECTING online playable in Madden this year for the Gamecube.  Not that this mentions anything either way, from the recent mentions of Nintendo focusing on the GCN-GBA connectivity, my heart is forever sinking.  I don't even play that many online games, but I was hoping to be able to play against some old college buddies that have moved across the country.  C'mon Nintendo, emphasis Family and FRIENDS.  

Anyways, yeah, GBA connectivity with Madden GCN... whooopty do.  I don't see anything truly adding to my gaming experience there.  Maybe they'll surprise me.  (although, i'm sure the Madden GC game will rock in itself.)

Begrudingly bitching.  LDW

Offline SCF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 05:53:11 AM »
This is good news for all of us that wanted good sports games like madden and nba live to continue being  on the Gamecube, hopefully this will make Sega reconsider their decision thought it is unlikely.
thks infernal monkey for my avatar

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 05:53:19 AM »
O NO WE ARE LOSING SO MUCH SUPPORT.....
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 06:26:02 AM »
I think (assuming the GBA/GC connection stuff is actually done well) this deal with EA will determine whether or not GBA/GC connectivity is actually a worthwhile selling point for Nintendo's consoles or just a mere gimmick from a company that tries as hard as possible to avoid going online.

EA sports games usually don't sell as well on Gamecube as they do on the other consoles.  However there are some pretty good reasons for this.  Probably the most significant reason is that often the Gamecube versions come out last and therefore anyone who owns more than one console has no incentive to wait for the Gamecube release.  However GBA/GC connectivity is something that the other consoles don't have so now there is an incentive for multiplatform gamers to buy the Gamecube version over one of the others.  Of course an important question still remains: will people care about the GBA/GC connection features enough for this to affect sales?  Sure this feature is unique to Gamecube but is it enough for people to buy over, say, online support on the other consoles?

Of course even if this doesn't pay off it might still be good for us gamers.  It might make Nintendo realize that the GBA/GC connectivity is not nearly as big of a deal as they think and that maybe online might be something to consider.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 06:38:08 AM »
Ah, the simple idea that Miyamoto is working alongside EA on this brings tears of happiness to my eyes.  This again is giving me the idea that maybe, just maybe, Nintendo may be saying "hey, we need some third party support." And maybe the other third parties are looking at the GameCube and saying "hey, that's a pretty nice and easy system to develop for."
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline bubba23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 09:13:56 AM »
Yes! Tiger Woods 2004 is coming to the Gamecube. I was so worried that it would get the axe. The 2003 version is great and I can't wait what they will add into it. I'm crossing my fingers for a true tour mode, a slightly harder difficulty, and maybe obtain the rights to have Augusta National. It will be interesting what they will add with the GBA-GC connection. It's just great to see EA still stands behind the Gamecube.  
Bubba 23

Atari 2600  - NES  - GB - Genesis - SNES - N64 - Dreamcast - PS2 - GBA SP - GC (with GBP)  - XBox - PC

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2003, 09:41:07 AM »
  I'm quite certain i read that EA said they were going to have all 3 versions of Madden online in '04.  Hopefully NHL will be online as well.  That game is only worth playing against human opponents.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline jasstoltz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2003, 10:16:46 AM »
20 EA Sports titles for GameCube. That sounds great. How many were there last year? And good points about online, but not everyone that has a system has another, or is online.  

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2003, 11:16:04 AM »
I don't see any reason the Gamecube versions wouldn't be online now that the modem has been released. It doesn't matter where Nintendo stands on online gaming. Whether the games are online or not is up to EA and now that the Gamecube is capable of going online, I don't see why it would leave that feature out of the GCN version. Especially since both Capcom and Nintendo have already revealed they're working on at least one online title for the Gamecube.

With Miyamoto's guidance, I'm sure the GBA/GCN connectivity features will be interesting. They may be gimmicky but sometimes gimmicky can be fun. We all know there are lot of people who would love to have Samus on their team in Madden and would definitly choose the GCN version over the XBox/PS2 versions just for that.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2003, 11:29:26 AM »
Reading some of these comments, I think some of you are taking this GCN/GBA connectivity thing to seriously. I don't think Nintendo intends for it to be some huge innovation that will drastically alter the gameplay of games. I certainly don't think it's Nintendo substitute for online play either. It's just meant to provide cool extras for people who are lucky enough to own both a GBA and GCN and allow some games to have certain optional, interactive features not available on competing consoles. There may be a few games like the upcoming Pokemon title that are built around the connectivity but I think most games will just use it in a gimmicky way, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
MP/MF used it a gimmicky way and people seemed happy with the results.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2003, 11:52:49 AM »
  I think if they included exclusive madden cards , maybe some training camp mini-games, it could sway people who have a GC,PS2 and GBA to buy the GC version.  As long as the PS2 and GC both have online play.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 12:10:03 PM »

I don't think Nintendo intends for it to be some huge innovation that will drastically alter the gameplay of games.

But, then again, with Miyamoto working on it, it could be, now couldn't it?  Also, it will be much more than last year's Madden's connections (which, by the way, was just an "interactive" scoreboard).
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 12:34:47 PM »
I'm definitly thinking the connectivity will mostly be for zany customizations.
Like you could design your own arena and put things like lava pits in it or put your team-mates in red and blue overalls or add Bowser-escque spikes to the back of their uniforms. I think there will definitly be a paint program used to create your own advertisements/logos for arenas and put textures on uniforms (like in AC). Sure, this kind of thing could clash terribly with the otherwise realistic/serious atmosphere of EA's sports titles but . . . who cares? It would be fun and that's all that matters.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2003, 01:37:38 PM »
" I'm definitly thinking the connectivity will mostly be for zany customizations."

Word. Now THAT'S 3rd party support.

"will people care about the GBA/GC connection features enough for this to affect sales? Sure this feature is unique to Gamecube but is it enough for people to buy over, say, online support on the other consoles?"

Interesting question Ian Sane (like the pun.) For XboX, its almost cookie-cutter thanks to XboX live. I'm guessing its a bit clunky on PS2 (I'm assuming they're not using a type of network say like Blizzard's Battle.net) For Joe Schmoe gamer, the GBA-GCN connection has to be something that's gonna knock your socks off. But only time will tell (E3 maybe?).
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2003, 02:17:04 PM »
Now if EA would just take these titles online, we could get downloadable GBA content.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ShutEye

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2003, 03:50:15 PM »
The GBA connectivity seems like it would be an excellent fit with Franchise modes. Character building through GBA mini-games. That's where Miyamoto probably comes in.  That sort of thing. Or perhaps one player uses the GBA for a reciever option and can see a different angle of the field than the primary player (QB). Never the less I hope online and LAN play are in the EA games. Hopefully EA gets NHL 2004 up to snuff with the 2K series from Sega!