Author Topic: Buying US Gamecube  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Moody

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Buying US Gamecube
« on: March 05, 2003, 12:21:02 AM »
Hi!
I'm going to the US in the spring and I'm planning to buy a US Gamecube. But since I live in Europe, I wonder what adapters etc. I have to get in order to make it work over here. I've also been thinking about how a European GC Broadband adapter will work with the US GC, is it possible?
So if anyone has any experience concerning this subject, I'd be glad if you would share your thoughts. In other words, is it worth getting a US GC?

Offline NoVisAnima

• View Profile
Buying US Gamecube
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 03:31:14 AM »
So long as your TV can accept an NTSC signal then all there is to worry about is powering the GC. Fortunately a EU power supply will work absolutely fine so there is no need for a step down converter or anything like that.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Buying US Gamecube
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 03:35:25 AM »
Ok I did the same as you though way back in 2001.
What you need to get is a step-down converter. You can get these at Lik-Sang.com for like 10bucks. You can buy them at home too, but in Europe theyll charge you like 100€ for it.
Then you need an NTSC compatible TV.

To get games Id recommend dvdboxoffice.com, they have free shipping and prices around 48€ for game. They take long to ship though (2 weeks, sometimes 3). They offer courier shipping for 15bucks.

Also great it National Console Support.

http://www.ncsx.com/

They have similar prices but always charge shipping, the cheapest shipping is 9bucks, but you get your game within 4-5 days max (if you live relatively convinient. Great for games you have to have fast. (Metroid Prime, Zelda etc).

I think the broadband adapters work everywhere. This is a question for Rick.
LZ 2005

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
Buying US Gamecube
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »
can't you just buy a european gamecube and use the freeloader thing to play imported games?

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Buying US Gamecube
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 05:02:49 AM »
gharakh is right
certainly makes things easier
go get a freeloader
LZ 2005

Offline betamac

• View Profile
Buying US Gamecube
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 06:39:33 AM »
from what i been hearing the freeloader does not work right on all games, and coinsidering he is going to U.S anyways he might as well get a U.S console, games are so easy to purchase from the U.S the 2 above sites are great i also use

www.videogameadvantage.com

there prices are great they have a small shipping charge, but so far they have shipped all my games same day even metroid takes around 4 - 5 days delivery

MAC

Offline Moody

• View Profile
Buying US Gamecube
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 05:30:26 AM »
Thanks for the responses!

I figured it would be cheaper to buy a US Cube since I'm going to the US, plus the GC is rather expensive here in Sweden (1995 SEK = $235).  

Hemmorrhoid: What cable do you use to connect the GC to your TV? I've heard that RGB's don't work. I also heard that you can use a European AC Adapter to power up your console, instead of using a stepdown converter. Does this work (I don't wanna blow my Gamecube into pieces)?