Author Topic: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles  (Read 102740 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2007, 11:41:40 AM »
thanks s_b, i was on the fence about this game but now i really reallyyyy want to try it out.. looks like someone in the family is getting a crap(pier) gift from me this xmas :-D
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2007, 12:18:57 PM »
I should caution that I like both lightgun games and Resident Evil so it's possible that I'm a bit biased, but I'm quick to berate 0-3 because the control scheme was so awful so I don't like it enough to overlook a game sucking.

If someone doesn't like lightgun games or RE, I'd probably advise against it. Otherwise, I'm definitely enjoying it.

What's interesting is that RE4 was a transition of the "ruleset" of the Resident Evil series (you save games at typewriters, headshots are lethal, use herbs to heal, etc.) from the still image tank controls to the over the shoulder 3rd person view (tank controls, but still).

Now, REUC is a transition of the RE4 ruleset into a lightgun game: don't bother using a shotgun at a distance, grenades take a moment to go off, aim for the leg to slow them down, shoot the exploding object when enemies are near it, etc.

It's like the RE world has "converted" yet again and it once again worked very well.

Like I said, I'd love to see a full RE FPS with Wiimote aiming and 2 player co-op. This is the type of rewarding and fun gameplay which makes you proud when you beat it but willing to try again when you lose to it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2007, 01:06:46 PM »
Wow, I can;'t ait for my copper to arrive in the mail from Familyvideo.com! I'm gonna force my roommate to play with me, lol!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Wow, I can;'t ait for my copper to arrive in the mail from Familyvideo.com! I'm gonna force my roommate to play with me, lol!

Wow, I musta been sloshed when I typed that... but anyways, while waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail, my Roommate caved and bvought his own at the local GameStop, beating me to the punch!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2007, 04:15:51 PM »
Went to my cousin's and played 2 player mode. Most of the missions so far have 2 player options, save for a few side missions.

My cousin loved RE 4, but hadn't played the previous ones. He's also a huge House of the Dead fan, and was at first off put by the slow pacing. But when we got the Yawn (Big snake for the uninitiated) boss fight, he got into it. The fact that you have a shared life bar means you really have to cooperate and coordinate your shots. One can shoot the zombies while you look for files, or one can focus on the head, while you get the legs. One can have the shot gun for crowd control, while the other has the submachine gun going for the kills.

So yeah, fun solo, even more fun with someone at your side.

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2007, 05:40:01 PM »
This game comes with the Wii Zapper right?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
This game comes with the Wii Zapper right?

Nope, it does not. In fact I think the Wii Zapper comes out next week. Nintendo is saving the zapper for their second molesting of the Zelda franchise in a row, Zelda Crossbow Training.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2007, 06:15:46 PM »
Oh man, if GP doesn't like it it's bound to be great!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Chasefox

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2007, 06:20:27 PM »
Looks like I will have to pick this one up after all...
Wii #: 5265 0575 1339 3836<BR><BR>Guitar Hero #:  <BR>4553-8748-6319<BR><BR>PM me if you add my #

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2007, 06:22:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Oh man, if GP doesn't like it it's bound to be great!

I don't like Blasto, so everyone buy a used copy!

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 16, 2007, 03:51:54 AM »
How many light gun type games are coming out for Wii?  I can think of this, Ghost Squad, and the Zelda pack in.  Developers are absolutely retarded to not try to put these out.  This is the first system where people don't need to actually buy something extra to to play the game.  They can't be expensive to make (or port from arcade software) and you have market penetration with the genre that was never possible.  I always loved light gun games but never got them do to the extra controller and expense, problem solved.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 16, 2007, 03:55:11 AM »
Some more updates:

-You're awarded stars after every mission and can play them again to acquire more stars. Stars can be spent on weapon upgrades, meaning that you can technically farm for weapon upgrades. Funny that SMG isn't the only game out this week which has you collecting stars.

-weapon upgrades can WTFPWN bosses, in the face. Giant bat + upgraded missile launcher with a power rating of A+ = Giant bat gets f*cked (yes, proper f*cked) Picking your A-game weapon at the beginning of a level and saving it for bosses is a legitimate and advised strategy (you don't suffer splash damage)

-grenades and other explosives actually leave holes in terrain

-if you're good enough, you can go down a line of zombies and pop them in the sweet spot to take their heads clean off

-environment can be used to your advantage. You can shoot a chandelier off the ceiling and it can fall on enemies, cars/barrels can be shot to explode near a crowd of zombies, a pile of I-beams can be shot and made to fall on zombies, etc.

-hunters suck, and they'll be in your face the second you turn around on many occasions.

-it looks like ammo acquired during a level that isn't used is added to the total you have for that weapon and can be taken into any other level until you use it, at which point the ammo for that weapon will be set to its normal amount when you choose it

-reloading/firing for different weapons makes different noises in the wiimote speaker: you can hear the cylinder spin when you reload the magnum revolver. Your aiming reticle chamber also changes depending on which weapon you have equipped.

-the knife is handy for slashing certain enemies away, but I'm starting to think it's handier than I'm giving it credit for. I remember seeing it knock a zombie away when he went in for a hit instead of a hug. I need to look into whether or not parrying enemy attacks is a legitimate strategy which would help if you're going primarily on your pistol, since you don't have time to switch to a better weapon when you turn around and a hunter is in your face.

"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 16, 2007, 03:56:06 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
How many light gun type games are coming out for Wii?  I can think of this, Ghost Squad, and the Zelda pack in.  Developers are absolutely retarded to not try to put these out.  This is the first system where people don't need to actually buy something extra to to play the game.  They can't be expensive to make (or port from arcade software) and you have market penetration with the genre that was never possible.  I always loved light gun games but never got them do to the extra controller and expense, problem solved.

HOTD 2&3 were just announced for the Wii as well, but I frankly don't know if I'd even both with them after having played REUC.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 16, 2007, 04:24:52 AM »

Yeah you are right, there is no excuse to not have more light gun games. Hopefully third parties are learning their lesson.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 16, 2007, 04:29:29 AM »

Time Crisis 4 coming to PS3 and XBox 360 is INEXCUSABLE in my opinion. They even had to sorta duplicate the wiimote's pointer tech for their new redesigned Gun-con. GRRRRR. ANGRAH!

Oh, but don't you guys forget about the arcade mode in Medal of Honor Heroes 2! I basically told myself that I'm getting all the lightgun games for the Wii this fall! Hehe... and I bet devs could make even more Lightgun type games for Wiiware...

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 16, 2007, 05:16:07 AM »
1. It costs more to develop in HD.

2. People need to buy a lightgun in order to play the game properly.

3. Copies of software are cheaper to manufacture than lightguns.

4. The Wii comes with a built-in lightgun.

Honestly, I have no idea WHAT they're thinking.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2007, 06:45:58 AM »
Rented this last night and beat it on hard with a friend. Good times. I can't stress enough the point about how the game encourages you to destroy the environment. My friend called me the tornado all night and yelled at me several times for shoting out all the lights.

Quick question though, are there only 9 missions to play on 2 player? For some reason I thought there was more than that. Is it the end after you kill nemesis or is there something else that just needs to be unlocked?
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 16, 2007, 07:02:30 AM »
Well...

There's at least one more area in which Chris and Jill go into the depths of a final Umbrella base and destroy the BOWs within.

However, I've also seen video of one of Ada's missions (which I presume was unlocked in the Nemesis section but I haven't acquired it yet) and there's a final thumbtack on the main level select screen which is empty.

So no, you haven't beaten it yet, but I'm not sure how much further you have to go because I'm not there either. I'm assuming I need to get better ranks on the levels before the game will unlock  this stuff for me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
I'm gonna fet this game tomorrow during the TRU b2g1 free deal, but I just have 1 question.
How much is the nunchuck used for player 2 in multiplayer?

I wanna get a dedicated WiiPlay Shooting Gallery casual to try out a real game, but I don't want to overwhelm her with dual handed action if its too intense.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »
The nunchuck is ONLY used in this game for controlling the camera. That is, ever though the game is on rails, you can still move your view around a little bit on that rail, not enough to look behind you, but enough to lower your view to get a better shot at enemies that are close to your feet, or to look around a bit more to aid in hitting all the destructible items in the game.

Now, you can setup RE:UC to have both players control the camera, meaning both can use the nunchuck, or having either the first or second player controlling the camera alone, and only that player needing the nunchuck. Playing with my roommate, I was second player and would never have a nunchuck attached to my wiimote, he had a nunchuck since he was responsible for moving the camera if necessary.

Now that I think about it, it made for a great transition from me being co-star in Galaxy to me being second player in RE:UC, lol.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »
What exactly does the 2nd player do in SMG? Just collect stars?
I wanna find more than one easy transition game, something that really only involves the second player aiming at the screen and maybe shooting stuff.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2007, 04:43:10 PM »
In SMG, the second player collects star bits and occasionally presses A to hold onto most enemies or hazards to stop them in their tracks, like some boulders and bullet bills. They can press B to shoot star bits and stun enemies, but I can only recall one time I actually needed to perform this function.

RE:UC is a great transition because it's a light gun game, you just point the wiimote, shoot with B. Of course, in RE:UC you share a life bar so the second player needs to do their part of the defensive gestural duties. Like the first player they can swing their knife, and like the first player they will occasionally be grabbed by enemies and must execute a waggle to counter-attack instead of getting hit. Certain sections of each level include Quick-time-event challenges where both players must execute different gestures or button presses to avoid an obstacle, and if just one person fails their command (pressing A repeatedly, for example, or waggling) then you get hit.

You could always look to the other Light Gun game, Ghost Squad, to help ease in "second players" though Ghost Squad IS yet another shooting game and derives some of its later bonus mode humor from being arcade-like-wacky (the paradise bonus mode uses water guns, women in bikinis, and bananas as knives).

But a real GREAT possibility to ease another player in is Trauma Center New Blood. Everyone understands playing doctor, and this one features co-op extensively!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »
Got the game along with Galaxy and spent the entire evening playing it with my nephew.

UC is surprisingly good. Even if SB was ecstatic about it I was still feeling a bit dubious. It couldn't be THAT great, especially since impressions ranged from "its decent" to its pretty bad". But here I am, surprised as all hell.

I'm going as far as to call UC the RPG of arcade shooters. The customization along with the strategy really does make it more than your typical arcade shooter.

I think UC works best as a 2 player game as that's where I feel the heart of the strategy lies. While one player is handling a monster the other can either fend off any incoming monster or survey the area for items. 1 player is also good because it reminds me of the classic RE games: your inventory is limited and you are on your own so you must work your way in order to survive.

Controls work fine for me, although on many an occasion the "waggling" doesn't work that well. This happened to me a lot during the Tyrant boss battle in the RE 1 scenario. No matter how hard I shook the Wiimote the game wouldn't pick it up.

I really like the weapons system. It forces you to think and choose wisely as the best weapon can make the whole game. Being able to upgrade them is also a nice plus.

Finally, its awesome that the game doesn't punish you for shooting stuff like crazy. I love collecting random Umbrella files.

My only issues with the game is that the game is quite slow due to its nature and that the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly. But it adds to the fun of it all.

Can't wait to play it some more tomorrow. I unlocked some of the extra scenarios so I can't wait to see what happens next.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »
One thing I wish they DIDN'T do with this game is restrict those side-missions that fill in holes in the Resident Evil story. These missions CANNOT be played 2-player... and because of that, I am sad.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2007, 05:08:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
One thing I wish they DIDN'T do with this game is restrict those side-missions that fill in holes in the Resident Evil story. These missions CANNOT be played 2-player... and because of that, I am sad.

That sucks, especially since the game shines in 2 player mode.

Oh well, should be fun to play them just to see another side of the story.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer