Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3159889 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2025 on: March 08, 2010, 01:16:41 AM »
I still wish I had imported an orange GCN.  I got an orange controller but never the console.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: March 10, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
EA to bring NHL 11 to the Wii?

2kSports is bringing NHL 2k11 exclusively to the Wii, and it was to be uncontested since there are no other NHL games on the Wii..... or atleast there was no other NHL games on the Wii.

Looks like WalMart had the scoop
EA is going to be bringing their NHL game to the Wii system this year for the 1st time. They showed us a video last week and it really looks like it could be something special.

the blog post on Walmart.ca has been removed, but I wouldn't doubt that EA would want to leave that market all to 2kSports.

Source

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 12, 2010, 12:10:36 PM »
Nintendo working with the BBC to bring us Dr. Who?
Quote from: The Sun
DOCTOR Who is to regenerate into Doctor Wii after BBC bosses signed a mega-bucks computer game deal.

Nintendo has agreed a contract said to be worth over £10million to create the much-anticipated game for its popular Wii and DS consoles.

And the firm is planning to get it into shops in time for the lucrative Christmas market.

The game is at the early stages but is set to be based around the new Doctor, played by Matt Smith.

It will also feature key Doctor Who baddies including the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Silurians.

An insider said: "This has been in the pipeline for years.

"We're delighted to have finally nailed down a deal. We went with Nintendo as they have huge appeal for families and Doctor Who is very much a family brand.

"The Wii console is key for us as it's something families play together."

The game will be closely monitored by the BBC, which does not want anything too violent.

Former Doctor David Tennant said the game had struggled to get off the ground as some developers had wanted the Time Lord to beat up his enemies and blow things up.

Who chiefs prefer the Doc to defeat baddies using his cunning rather than his fists.

David said: "The video game was quite actively developed, but it's difficult to nail as the Doctor doesn't blow things up.

He's not Batman, who goes around smacking people in the head."

Firms had been coming up with ideas for the last three years in a bid to tap into the show's success.

The insider added: "BBC Worldwide, which licenses BBC shows, has been trying to find some way of doing it.

"But you can't have Doctor Who blowing things to bits with a laser gun. That would massively change the nature of the show."

The BBC has made a fortune out of Doctor Who spin-offs - raking in around £100million.
I know it's The Sun which has a reputation similar to that of The Inquirer, but there are other, older articles from other sources that support this too.

BBC gets back into games!
Quote from: MCV UK - Jan 21, 2010
Broadcaster's commercial division Worldwide wants to turn key IPs into DS, Wii, iPhone and online games, MCV can reveal
After spending years sat on the fence, the BBC is returning to games in a big way, MCV can exclusively reveal.

Via its commercial arm BBC Worldwide, the broadcaster is courting both publishers and developers to turn Doctor Who, Top Gear, In The Night Garden and many, many more into games for all audiences.

No stone will go unturned: the BBC wants to see its brands on iPhone and Facebook as much as it wants to see them on DS and Wii.

“We are open to conversations with anybody in games about all kinds of business models to see how we can extract more value,†said Neil Ross Russell, MD of children’s and licensing.

“Outside of Disney we have the most well-known line-up of children’s characters around the world.â€
[...]
“There were a few opportunistic licensing deals, but we were largely aggregating and holding on to our properties to wait and see how the market developed.â€

The new effort will push key kids’ IPs towards games for DS and Wii, while more long-running brands find their feet on all sorts of platforms.

BBC readies multiple Doctor Who games
Quote from: MCV UK - Jan. 29, 2010
BBC Worldwide has told MCV that talks are underway to turn Doctor Who into an array of new games.
[...]
As part of the move, a variety of licensing deals for key BBC IPs are in the offing, with the BBC finally releasing its grip on the coveted Doctor Who licence.
[...]
“We’re having a lot of interesting discussions for a variety of ideas around Doctor Who that are complementary to each rather than in competition with each other – boxed product console games, virtual worlds and other experiences,†explained Dave Anderson, head of multimedia development at BBC Worldwide.

“The deals we are looking at are in different spaces, probably looking at overlapping but different audiences and are certainly delivering a different kind of experience.

edit: Just remember that this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has worked with BBC. Nintendo (NST) worked with BBC on the iPlayer that released exclusively in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:21:20 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 12, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
Looks like its not a rumor anymore as MCV UK has already confirmed it.

MCV Confirms: Dr. Who game is real
MCV can confirm that the Doctor Who title for the Wii rumoured to be in the works by The Sun this morning is real.

Furthermore, it will be released in the UK this October with Koch Media handling sales and marketing duties, though when asked by MCV the firm declined to comment.

The Sun reports that the game is based around new Doctor Matt Smith and will include appearances from classic villains such as the Daleks, Cybermen and Silurians.

The paper quotes an ‘insider’ as saying: “This has been in the pipeline for years. We're delighted to have finally nailed down a deal. We went with Nintendo as they have huge appeal for families and Doctor Who is very much a family brand.

“The Wii console is key for us as it's something families play together.â€

Who is Koch Media and why are they distributing Nintendo games in the UK?
http://www.kochmedia.co.uk/?rid=3242723631599506700115811
They've distributed Nintendo games before^

and then there is always this
Furthermore, in 2006, Koch was appointed by Nintendo as its preferred distribution partner in Britain and Ireland and in 2007 was Presented the MCV Distribution Team of the Year at the Industry Excellence Awards.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: March 12, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
DS2 Detail Emerge From GDC!?
While nobody would tell me the name of the new handheld or the exact dimensions, I was able to extract some pretty cool tidbits on the “DS2″.
  • The system has two screens, just like the DS, but they are bigger and higher resolution. I’m sure most of you could have guessed that, but the interesting part is that the gap between the two screens is negligible. Developers will be able to use them as one giant screen. At the very least, this will allow for some awesome cutscenes. It also has some potentially cool gameplay potential, with developers shifting the action from dual screen to single screen depending on the situation.
  • The next Nintendo handheld has an accelerometer. I blame the iPhone for this. Everything has to have an accelerometer now. Yesterday I bought a sandwich at the Moscone Center and it had an accelerometer in it.
  • The dev kit is similar in power to the GameCube. Developers that worked on GameCube or Wii games will find it easy to create with. I found this information unusual. The DS successor is rumored to use an Nvidia Tegra chip, while the GameCube and Wii have PowerPC CPUs and ATI GPUs. The people familiar with the dev kit made it sound like there wasn’t much of a learning curve on the new system. I have to admit that I’m not familiar enough with Tegra, but I imagined developing for a system-on-a-chip platform to be different enough from developing for a CPU/GPU system. It could be ignorance on my part or maybe the DS2 uses something other than Tegra.
  • The developers I spoke with will be finished with their games before the end of the year. The Nintendo DS is still going strong and the company could delay the next handheld’s release if it wanted to, but it looks like an E3 2010 announcement and a late 2010 release.
That’s all I have for now. Remember, none of this information came from Nintendo. It came from developers that claim to be working on the new system.
Too bad he couldn't get some sort of confirmation on the Tegra chip or not. The extra multimedia capabilities built in(even though Nintendo could strip them out) would already make me grin from ear to ear.

I'm also really happy to hear about dual screen with virtually no gap so that they can be used a 1 screen. I'd imagine that DS BC would put a little black border inbetween the screens though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 12, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »
I hope the ds2 screens have a better viewing angle too. The DS screens could be a little picky when playing it while lying in bed.

No mention of the storage medium, if I had to guess, I would guess cards kuje the DS except larger capacity and internal storage like the DSi except greater capacity.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2031 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
Koch Media is the parent company that owns Deep Silver publishing, makers of Cursed Mountain.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 12, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
I hope the ds2 screens have a better viewing angle too. The DS screens could be a little picky when playing it while lying in bed.

No mention of the storage medium, if I had to guess, I would guess cards kuje the DS except larger capacity and internal storage like the DSi except greater capacity.
I'm sure they will still with a similar media to the DS, they could easily expand the memory to 1GB+(not 1Gb like DS is now) w/o much cost difference.

As for internal storage, I really hoping they have at minimum 2GB with SDHC (load from card) expansion.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: March 13, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »
The next Nintendo handheld has an accelerometer. I blame the iPhone for this. Everything has to have an accelerometer now. Yesterday I bought a sandwich at the Moscone Center and it had an accelerometer in it.
Isn't there an old Miyamoto interview where he said he wanted an accelerometer in the DS?
The dev kit is similar in power to the GameCube. Developers that worked on GameCube or Wii games will find it easy to create with. I found this information unusual. The DS successor is rumored to use an Nvidia Tegra chip, while the GameCube and Wii have PowerPC CPUs and ATI GPUs. The people familiar with the dev kit made it sound like there wasn’t much of a learning curve on the new system. I have to admit that I’m not familiar enough with Tegra, but I imagined developing for a system-on-a-chip platform to be different enough from developing for a CPU/GPU system. It could be ignorance on my part or maybe the DS2 uses something other than Tegra.
This confuses me because it's like he's talking about 2 different things. Two separate chipsets can be "similar in power" yet have completely different architectures. The whole thing is pretty vague and doesn't really say much in terms of whether or not DS2 will employ the Tegra 2. I'm still of the opinion that it will because it fits into Nintendo's general strategy: it's powerful yet efficient, affordable and conserves battery.

The entire rumor are safe bets. The 2 screens on being the most obvious one seeing as some DS games already used both screens as one. If I remember correctly, Metroid Prime Hunters did that. Increasing the screen size and closing the gap between the screens is the simplest solution to keeping backwards compatibility and evolving the hardware.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 13, 2010, 12:44:46 PM »
Well, I feel like this information is probably true.  It's not as wishful/awesome as most fake leaks are because most of the stuff is pretty standard and expected.

I do wanna hear about multimedia features too....:P
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 13, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
Reggie schooled Casamassina in an interview recently http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1077356p1.html

Who knows? Maybe we'll leapfrog this HD generation in its entirety because at some point in the future maybe there's something better going on. All of this is conjecture at this point.

He knows something. He's not saying, but Reggie knows something.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: March 13, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
Reggie knows not to answer silly questions.  You're over-analyzing his answer.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 13, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »

No, the person who actually knows something is Iwata.  Reggie just knows whatever shows up in his Email every day from Nintendo of Japan.  ::)

Seriously, why bother interviewing anyone at Nintendo of America about Nintendo's future when they're all figureheads, especially regarding their thoughts on the competition?  It's not like you'll ever hear an independent opinion.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 13, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »
Reggie schooled Casamassina in an interview recently http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1077356p1.html

Who knows? Maybe we'll leapfrog this HD generation in its entirety because at some point in the future maybe there's something better going on. All of this is conjecture at this point.

Unlimited Detail ;)

Reggie knows not to answer silly questions.  You're over-analyzing his answer.

Or that too. ;D

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: March 13, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »
Maybe Reggie is hinting at the next console being a 3D system with holo-projectors and the like? Take that HD!
is your sanity...

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: March 13, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »
Well seriously, the whole "WiiHD?" question has a pretext of the media alluding to Wii not being a current-gen console.  Answering in the affirmative would only give them the chance to say "we were right" and "Nintendo finally embraces current-gen core gamers".  Notice how they always say Wii2 or WiiHD?  I don't remember any references to a Gamecube2 or an N64-2.  Reggie's answer only explains that Nintendo won't release a new console until it differentiates itself and expands from the current-gen offerings.

Although I kind of wish he'd have said "Maybe by the time we actually release a new console, standard-def won't even be a recognized format anymore..."  We're talking about the next-generation of gaming, and personally I think high-definition would be the least interesting feature addition.  Of course the media would jump on this comment and claim Nintendo's giving up on core gamers.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: March 13, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Quote from: From IGN interview with Reggie
E3 -- you'll see what we have. I've learned that it's not to Nintendo's advantage for us to foreshadow what we're going to have at E3 because even the smallest little hint or perspective gets blown out to huge proportions. So you're not going to get any more information about E3.

Reggie hates HYPETRAINS confirmed. Though he has a point. We jump all over little tidbits like hyenas on a dead carcass and set ourselves up for disappointment. Though I think we're just masochists that way because I like getting aboard the HYPETRAIN even if the final destination is Disappointment-ville.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: March 13, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
More like he's learned to stop flat out lying about what's going to be shown at E3.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: March 13, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
FACT: Reggie fuels the hype train with his delicious cryptic nuggets of truth. He knows something, he can see the future.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: March 13, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »
What he's really saying is that you can't start the HYPETRAIN too soon otherwise it'll either run dry before the nutbust or you'll

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: March 14, 2010, 01:39:07 AM »
Quote from: From IGN interview with Reggie
E3 -- you'll see what we have. I've learned that it's not to Nintendo's advantage for us to foreshadow what we're going to have at E3 because even the smallest little hint or perspective gets blown out to huge proportions. So you're not going to get any more information about E3.

Reggie hates HYPETRAINS confirmed. Though he has a point. We jump all over little tidbits like hyenas on a dead carcass and set ourselves up for disappointment. Though I think we're just masochists that way because I like getting aboard the HYPETRAIN even if the final destination is Disappointment-ville.

Hype is a good thing for Nintendo, but it must happen AFTER E3 and not before E3. E3 is when they hype needs to start, and from there it should build and grow until the product gets released later in the year so that sales do very well.

The whole point of E3 is to build hype up for future products, and it kinda deflates the purpose when the hype starts prematurely. I think that's what Reggie wants to prevent.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: March 15, 2010, 02:25:50 PM »
If the DS2 ends up being similar to the Gamecube hardware, it will be all the more ridiculous to not introduce a Wii successor at some point.  We would get to the point where the portable games would graphically almost resemble the console games.  At that point, why even have seperate systems?  Why not just make it so you can connect the portable to a TV and then use it as a console? Then it's just one format.  And you just know some third parties are going to have multiplatform releases on the Wii and DS2, and the two games will be virtually identical, due to less effort being put into the Wii version.

But the normal schedule for a new console would be late 2011 and if they hit that timeframe we won't see the thing until late 2010 at best.  With today's Nintendo it probably won't be until the last E3 before launch before we see anything.

I think Reggie doesn't say much because he doesn't know anything.  Building up hype is only beneficial if you deliver and Reggie probably doesn't know what NCL has in store for us, so building up hype could hurt them.  He doesn't even give an answer on the obvious stuff.  Will the Wii successor support HD?  If we're just talking about the TV standard, of COURSE it will unless Nintendo are the most backwards idiots in the world.  Surely Reggie could state that if the TV standard is the concern that, yes, Nintendo would support it next time.  But he still doesn't.

"Can we expect both traditional and casual-style games at this year's E3?"  That's an easy answer.  You say something to the effect of "we strive to provide an entertaining experience for all audiences.  So if you're wondering if everyone will see something that interests them at E3 - that's our goal.  We want to make sure that every Wii owner has something to look forward to.  We wouldn't classify them specifically into categories, but if you want to, then, yes, both categories will be at E3."

That's just putting out small fires.  These are common concerns regarding the Wii.  And, no, being concerned about what Nintendo has on the horizon is NOT being anti-Nintendo.  If Reggie has an answer that can put out the fire, why doesn't he?  The Wii Music E3 went over like a fart in church.  Nintendo knows this.  Reggie knows this.  IGN was more or less asking "this isn't going to be like Wii Music E3 again, right?"  Reggie knows that that sort of E3 will not be well received and he stated that Nintendo's goal is to wow the attendees and the people paying attention at home on the internet.  He has the ability to say "don't worry" and put out the fire but doesn't.  That just suggests that he doesn't know and he's not confident enough in NCL to not make a liar out of him if he assumes that it is safe to put out that fire.

The thing is the pre-E3 hype will exist no matter what.  It doesn't matter what you say.  The only way to avoid that being a problem is to always have something great to show at E3.  And really all that is is making sure that there are great games coming out each year that Wii and DS owners would be excited about playing.  Nintendo is supposed to do that anyway.  I felt Wii Music E3 sucked mostly because what it really resulted in was about a year or so with nothing truly amazing from Nintendo.  Meh E3's signify a meh year and THAT is what sucks.  Nintendo, Sony and MS should always be working to avoid having a meh year.  It's their job.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: March 15, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
At that point, why even have seperate systems?  Why not just make it so you can connect the portable to a TV and then use it as a console? Then it's just one format.
That's a terrible idea and misses the point entirely.

Some games are better suited for a portable system and some are better suited for console whiles others work on both. Mario Kart, for example, works well on either. I don't think it's a good idea to blur the lines between handheld and console. They should coexist and remain separate.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: March 15, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
I actually like the idea of a dual console-handheld system. Play it in your living room or take it on the go when you want. It would have to be pulled of correctly though.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: March 15, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »
I'd prefer they stay separate but have connectivity and synchronization.

And what I mean is that Home console games may connect and share data with the portable version and when they you connect the two after extended play on one or the other, then they would sync up their save data so that you can continue your adventure on either system or unlock certain things on the other systems game depending on what was completed the version you were playing.