Author Topic: CNN.com says that the Wii could come out in...  (Read 3185 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
CNN.com says that the Wii could come out in...
« on: July 05, 2006, 09:28:29 AM »
October.  Or possibly late September?

CNN.com article: Nintendo's Wii may get early launch

Don't know if that information is new or any more reliable than anyone else's guesses but I think the article is today's.

Apparently a month ahead of the PS3 is considered "significantly earlier".  I wouldn't call it "significantly" earlier, but I guess earlier is still better for Nintendo.

RE:CNN.com says that the Wii could come out in...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:10:28 AM »
This is awesome news, even though they still arent sure that its launch is around those months. I dont think its significantly earlier either, but its good. I actually expected it to launch in november.... guess i was wrong.
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: CNN.com says that the Wii could come out in...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:45:59 AM »
Launching before the PS3 would be an excellent idea.

Most analysts are full of sh*t, but this one actually had some substantial evidence to back his claims: he pointed out that the Wii is already in manufacturing and were in manufacturing since June 21st (or possibly earlier). The PS3 hasn't even gone into manufacturing yet at all and, knowing Sony's tendencies, the date might easily slip to next year.

A Sept. launch would be absolutely ideal, especially if they launched a killer app around Sony's launch date to combat the PS3 (something typically done in the past) and to get the Christmas Wii fever going.

All in all, very good news for Nintendo fans. I don't relish the idea of waiting five more months to play this thing.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
Please...please, this isn't a sure thing by any means.  September is only 2 months away... I find it hard to believe Nintendo is gonna have a launch ready by then.  October seems a bit early as well.

I'm still betting on the normal Sunday before black friday launch we got with the cube.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:53:01 AM »
Nintendo could try as they may, but if they don't have games ready by the time they want to launch, they aren't going to launch. It's as simple as that.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 10:53:51 AM »
Isn't that exactly what everyone else has been saying?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:01:55 AM »
I think that because most people will want to try it for themselves before making a purchase, especially the new gamer audience that Nintendo wants, if Nintendo is ready, they would want to launch it earlier than November if possible.  Then people have time to get excited about something they didn't know they would, and would have time to consider it especially for a Crhristmas purchase.

They also wouldn't want it close to the PS3 launch, because there will likely be a Sony marketing blitz at that time.

I always thought it was dumb that the Xbox and GameCube launched within three days of each other, and the GameCube was the later one with less attention.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung I always thought it was dumb that the Xbox and GameCube launched within three days of each other, and the GameCube was the later one with less attention.

This speaks louder than anything about why they'd launch earlier than Sony.

The last thing they need is to enter the market silently and let Sony steal any and all thunder, especially with the dozens of ads showcasing their "innovative new controller" and how it will revolutionize gaming.

Nintendo needs to get the Wii out there ASAP and give it its own time to shine before the PS3 arrives to cloud the waters.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
Ahem!

http://planetgamecube.com/rumorsArt.cfm?artid=11675

Get your own rumors, Chris Morris! Damn Chris Morris, always stealing my articles and hair gel...  
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Donutt007

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »
October 6th is my guess.

Opening night of the TGS they will say
"The system will be $200 and will be out in two weeks"

That would be amazing

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
You don't think Nintendo could have games ready for an early October launch...or even September?

Metroid Prime Corruption should be close to finishing up development

Zelda Twilight Princess should easily be ready for that date...it has been in development for yeras now.

WiiSports is a very easy game to develop and shouldn't have any problems finishing up for an early launch.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves as well should be ready.

Think about it.  None of these games have online multiplayer, the development kits are kits Nintendo is already fimilar with...so this thing could easily be ago in September.

Also, just a note.  I remember Miyamoto stating that Mario Galaxy would be finished within 3-4 months of launch.  Or something similar to that.  

If they launched in September that could put Mario Galaxy as the killer app to compete against the PS3...or atleast be out in December for Christmas.  

It would be quite the amazing play for Nintendo to accomplish this...and it would completely blow Sony away.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
You don't think Nintendo could have games ready for an early October launch...or even September?

Metroid Prime Corruption should be close to finishing up development

Zelda Twilight Princess should easily be ready for that date...it has been in development for yeras now.

WiiSports is a very easy game to develop and shouldn't have any problems finishing up for an early launch.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves as well should be ready.

Think about it.  None of these games have online multiplayer, the development kits are kits Nintendo is already fimilar with...so this thing could easily be ago in September.

Also, just a note.  I remember Miyamoto stating that Mario Galaxy would be finished within 3-4 months of launch.  Or something similar to that.  

If they launched in September that could put Mario Galaxy as the killer app to compete against the PS3...or atleast be out in December for Christmas.  

It would be quite the amazing play for Nintendo to accomplish this...and it would completely blow Sony away.

I think this is a rebuttle to my previous statement.

At any rate, I don't think it's very wise for Nintendo to think about themselves here. Sure they may have their games ready, but what about third parties? What about Sonic, Red Steel, Madden, and Call of Duty?

I am not saying it's not possible. Hell, if they can get all those games polished and ready for an October launch than that's fantastic. I'm just saying it's not realistic. And I would hate if they rushed a couple projects just to make launch (I'm looking at you, Red Steel). That would be a far worse decision than launching with the PS3.

This speaks louder than anything about why they'd launch earlier than Sony.

The last thing they need is to enter the market silently and let Sony steal any and all thunder, especially with the dozens of ads showcasing their "innovative new controller" and how it will revolutionize gaming.

Nintendo needs to get the Wii out there ASAP and give it its own time to shine before the PS3 arrives to cloud the waters.

While this may hold some truth, I think your under estimitating the attractiveness of the Wii. If the Wii has demo kiosks out about a month before launch, there is no way the PS3 will overshadow it. It's a brand new experience that is just begging to be tried. And though a die-hard PS fan may quickly scold the Wii as he picks up his new PS3, there is no way that person is not at least going to try it.

Curiousity alone will greatly help the Wii.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 02:47:03 PM »
Requiem:  I dunno if my post was a direct rebutal to you or not...I just was posting possibilities and I knew there would be some negative posts.  But thanks for responding to my post.

I would like to add.  That if the additional Rumors of Rayman launching on October 2nd are true...or atleast some stores are reporting it shipping around then.  That could point out to 3rd parties already knowing when the release of the system is.

Most launch games have a sense of hurriedness to them, and rush.  It is part of the game of launching.  Some games turn out great dispite this, other not so much.  But, it is the job of a third party to decide to wait and perfect the game, or go for the early sales of being a launch title.  Nintendo can't base their decisions off of what third parties desire...only they can do is keep them in the loop.  Which I suspect they are already doing.

Would a late September or early October launch help get a huge jump on Sony, and potentially help stale the sales of Xbox 360s?  If the answer is yes, then it will be wise for Nintendo to launch early, if they can have their games ready.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
I've always said.. around Canadian Thanksgiving (October 9).
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 05:39:31 AM »
...and I've always thought you were crazy.  But now it looks like you might be right!  Wii and turkey, yum!

As long as Zelda is available on launch day, I don't think it will really matter if a few other games aren't available.  The rest will come out before Christmas, it would be similar to the N64 launch, and I'm pretty sure that system's launch went just fine.  Granted, if they rush the games for launch day that would be a bigger problem.  Hopefully that just won't happen.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 05:54:16 AM »
But our Thanksgiving (or the Americans' Columbus Day), October 9, is a Monday this year, and so is Sports Illustrated For Kids' estimation of November 6.

I would not launch a console on a Monday.  Or any weekday at all, including Friday.  Especially during the school year (despite the fact that I'm done school myself).  I'm thinking Nintendo wouldn't, either.

Maybe it'll be a Sunday, like the day before those (I recall the GameCube launching on a Sunday) but why don't they launch it on a Saturday?  That would be ideal, IMO.

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »
Going in production now, IF true, wouldn't be too surprising. They need close to a quarter just to amass enough volume for a launch and squash any potential early manufacturing problems.  The very first units are likely dev kits and POP samples. The dev kits themselves are probably being delivered ::looking at watch:: any second now.

But I think we can forget about September. Nintendo said Q4. I doubt they're going to do a surprise Sept launch and essentially give stores so little time with POP materials. Even GameCube had a 90 day POP headstart. Wii's hype period definitely should be more in-your-face 'cause they have to get people to try it.

October would be awesome though. Hope, hope.
"wow."