Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 671873 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #2775 on: May 19, 2009, 10:11:44 AM »
Yeah, at least now the outdated last-generation hardware that's outselling the top of the line next-gen PS3 is a Sony product.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2776 on: May 19, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
PlayStation 1 has a chance to catch up to its grandson.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: May 19, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »
This is a 30-yr strategy.

I don't even believe their claims it will have a 10-year lifespan. The Sony execs will say anything to make it look like the PS3 will be a success, but they can see the writing on the wall and you just now they are quietly laboring away on the PS4. I'm sure they will want to get it out on the market before or at least not too long after the next Xbox comes out.

Sony fans can say what they want, but the fact is the PS3 is only marginally more powerful than the 360, at best. If MS is going to release a 360 successor in 3 years then there's no way the PS3 will be able to compete, graphically speaking. Of course, by then Nintendo will also have its own HD system out. The PS3 will have a 5 year lifespan.
is your sanity...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2778 on: May 19, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »
So like Spiderman 3, PS3 is "third time's a flop"?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: May 19, 2009, 12:55:42 PM »
Come on, HD? The next wii will probably have a built-in abacus below the system clock. Channels will be replaced with a radio dial.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: May 19, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
Come on, HD? The next wii will probably have a built-in abacus below the system clock. Channels will be replaced with a radio dial.

I think that would be pretty cool. Here is hoping that is true!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2781 on: May 19, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
A Steam Punk Wii?  I am down. 

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: May 20, 2009, 01:40:53 AM »
Bunch of cavemen here^

I suppose you also want the next wii to have Wii Petroglyph and a dino-hunting game packed in too.

"So easy a nongamer could do it"
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: May 20, 2009, 06:49:22 AM »
I'd rather have the Wii 2 be more like Minority Report.

But instead of murder, I would help euthanize PS3s' wanting to go into that gentle night.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: May 20, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
Thats what the Zcam is working towards.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: May 21, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »
I'd rather have the Wii 2 be more like Minority Report.

But instead of murder, I would help euthanize PS3s' wanting to go into that gentle night.

Technically you can do a minority 2 report type of thing with the Wii remote already.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2786 on: May 21, 2009, 03:01:18 AM »
That takes work on my part.  I want Nintendo to have done it for me.
Also, I've seen those videos, and they are FTW.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2787 on: May 21, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Bunch of cavemen here^

I suppose you also want the next wii to have Wii Petroglyph and a dino-hunting game packed in too.

"So easy a nongamer could do it"

You had me a Dino.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: May 21, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »
You had me a Dino.

But I hardly know you!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I think the consumer wants to see better value on the PlayStation 3
« Reply #2789 on: June 08, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/publishers-retailers-clamoring-for-ps3-price-cut/?biz=1
"I think the consumer wants to see better value on the PlayStation 3." -Mike Griffith, Activision Publishing

"[We're] disappointed," Sega of America's VP of Marketing Sean Ratcliffe told us. "I just think it must be hard for Sony to balance three live platforms – that's not something Nintendo or Microsoft have to contend with. ... I think from a platform point of view, we would like to see Sony sell more PS3s. It's good for us as a publisher. We think it's a great [machine] and that for consumers, if they hit a sweet spot with price point that would bring more consumers to that platform. I think because of the success of PS2 people were automatically expecting PS3 to be the natural successor, and that actually really hasn't happened yet."

He continued, "We need as many consoles out there as possible so our games [can sell to a larger installed base] so I hope they do something on price, especially in this economy. It's really tough. I was talking to some of our counterparts in Europe and I think in Spain the unemployment rate is going be around 20% by the end of this year. And so it's not just the console itself; you have to invest in the TV and so on. I think Sony needs to recognize that and hopefully do something about it this year."

When we met with Activision Publishing boss Mike Griffith and asked him for his reaction to the lack of a price cut from Sony, we observed noticeable disappointment in his face. He sighed and answered, "Yeah, I think the consumer wants to see better value on that platform. It's really up to Sony to figure out what they'll do with the price. ... History would say they'll get there."

Bobby Kotick, Chief Executive of Activision Blizzard was more direct, telling Bloomberg without specifically naming PS3, "I was disappointed not to see any sort of aggressive price cutting. Of all the things that the hardware companies need to be doing right now, it's recognizing the difficulties of the economy and pricing their hardware appropriately."

Retailers of course would like to be able to move more units as well. GameStop, the largest video game retailer in the world, is likely tired of seeing dust accumulating on their PS3 boxes.

"The hardware price points, where they are right now given this economic environment, are too high," added GameStop Chief Executive Officer Daniel DeMatteo. "If the platform holders are going to make the numbers that they've forecasted for the year, those numbers will have to change."

Despite the considerable outcry for a price drop from gamers and the industry itself, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai maintains that Sony is pleased with the current price. "We're very happy with the price point that we have," he said to Bloomberg. "We will move when we think it's appropriate at some point in time."

And here we go again....

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2790 on: June 08, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
No way there should be a price drop.  PS3 is a finely crafted piece of kit that's worth a month's rent, and if you want it you should work for it; it's that special.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: June 08, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »
I have no idea why people are expecting a price drop now. If there is a price drop Sony would announce one near the holiday season or when they are ready to clearance out the stock of the regular PS3s to make way for the Slim PS3.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2792 on: June 08, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »
Sony WANTS to drop the price, publishers want them to drop the price, retailers want it, consumers want it. The problem is that Sony knows that CAN'T afford to drop it. They are still losing about $40 on every system sold and the company as a hole just posted a loss of more than $1 billion (and the game division has been losing money for 3 years). Sony can't afford to drop the system even though they just continue to fall farther and farther behind Nintendo and Microsoft. They are not gonna win this gen (and it would be a shock if they even finished second), so they should concentrate on becoming profitable.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: September 24, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »
Quote from: Kotakus' live blog of Sonys' TGS keynote

10:58bashcraft: 29 million or more psn accounts 600 million pieces of content downloaded
10:58StephenTotilo: Dear kaz, now nintendo is
10:59StephenTotilo: Messing with you too
10:59bashcraft: nintendo is totally messing with you, kaz
11:00bashcraft: totally, totally messing with you
11:00StephenTotilo: Wii price drop just announced. So there has been more news from sonya competitors during this speech than from sony

LOL

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: September 24, 2009, 02:47:44 AM »
network.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2795 on: October 27, 2009, 01:14:08 PM »
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1559846/sony-admits-anti-trust-investigation

"SONY HAS ADMITTED that it is being investigated by US antitrust regulators and expects Inspectors Knacker of the Yards of many nations to carry out similar probes.

At the heart of the problem is Sony's optical disk drive operation. US officials are looking at possible violations of antitrust regulations and no one is saying much else."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: October 27, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
Come on HVD, this is your chance.
That will literally be the last physical disc format we will need for a long, long time.

Not really wishing Sony to fail (well maybe I am a little), but we all know that almost everytime they try to standardize a format, they fail, and just because they beat the new competitor in the field this time doesn't mean they've replaced the format they were trying to, so they may have won the first battle or so, but they still haven't won the war.

Besides, it wold be absolutely hilarious if the holographic disc technology that Nintendo is invested in ends up becoming some sort of standard and starts getting used for movies, data storage & Nintendo's next generation system.

So I guess I really am hoping to see Blu-ray fail, but only so something that is actually better can take its place.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: October 27, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1559846/sony-admits-anti-trust-investigation

"SONY HAS ADMITTED that it is being investigated by US antitrust regulators and expects Inspectors Knacker of the Yards of many nations to carry out similar probes.

At the heart of the problem is Sony's optical disk drive operation. US officials are looking at possible violations of antitrust regulations and no one is saying much else."

We'll have to see what specifics shake out of this, but honestly I don't see the grounds for Anti-trust here.  Blu-Ray Disc had a competitor in HD DVD, and it failed in the marketplace.  Blu-Ray continues to have a competitor in DVD, which still does well in the marketplace so I don't see where the anti-trust comes in unless they're trying to argue that Sony bought off all the companies that decided to drop HD DVD for Blu-Ray towards the end of that format war.  Even if it is true, though, who cares?  I refused to get into the HD format race until we had only one format, and now that we do I'm quite content with the result.  So what's the problem?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: October 27, 2009, 05:14:44 PM »
HVD HVD HVD HVD

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: October 27, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
HVD HVD HVD HVD

And exactly what unfair market conditions perpetrated by Sony prevent HVD from having a fair opportunity to compete in the marketplace against Blu-Ray?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.