Author Topic: Now Microsoft plan "New controller"  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Aussiedude

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Now Microsoft plan "New controller"
« on: June 28, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
Seems like Microsoft is set to copy Nintendo...we knew it would happen> They will  probably release it when Wii is released.

"Shoulder buttons, triggers, analog sticks, d-pads - I mean, there's a lot going on there."

Moore went on to explain that his 14 year-old daughter loves racing games, particularly Project Gotham Racing, but "She's frustrated because the button configurations, the use of triggers... She just doesn't like it".

So is Microsoft looking for a solution to the problem of overly-complex controllers? Well, "We're doing a lot of stuff there," Moore said - but "Nothing that we're ready to talk about".

Moore speaks  
Will Wii Win?  

RE:Now Microsoft plan "New controller"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »
Figures. They still wont win this Generation. Nintendo has it won.
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Now Microsoft plan "New controller"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 05:04:52 PM »
"She's frustrated because the button configurations, the use of triggers... She just doesn't like it".

Of course, she can operate a dishwasher, oven, or vaccuum cleaner perfectly fine
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
"She's frustrated because the button configurations, the use of triggers... She just doesn't like it".

Of course, she can operate a dishwasher, oven, or vaccuum cleaner perfectly fine

OH YOU JUST DIDN'T!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000

Oh, SNAP! You just Pwned Moore's daughter. Of course you realize that the controller redesign is going to be a mold of you head with a knife through it. when you press the knife down, you win whatever game you might be playing.  
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 06:36:43 PM »
This could be good or bad for MS.  It segments their market and shows how archaic the pad is, but it allows for them to have games that control like new too.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »
Ha ha!

WOMEN AND TECHNOLOGY!
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000 Of course, she can operate a dishwasher, oven, or vaccuum cleaner perfectly fine

You mean she can tell the maid how to clean the place?

Remember who you're talking about, here. There's no way in hell that girl does chores.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 08:59:36 PM »
hm.. so once again, microsoft really joins the table last, drawing a littel from both of its competitors' models.

..but Bill Gates said motion contol was a no-no.

..would he lie to us?  
I'll shut up now...

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 10:56:49 PM »
Yes... Yes he would. Wouldn't be the first time Gates took something that wasn't his to begin with. heh
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 03:29:02 AM »
I'm thinking analog Atari controller.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 04:07:52 AM »
Moving to other systems...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 04:49:44 AM »
Here's a question...

I've yet to play a 360. I've seen the demo kiosks, but I've never been interested enough to want to try it (though I'm pretty sure I'll end up owning one at some point in 2007, to complement my Wii). With that said, I do own the first XBox and I find the controller laid out similarly to the GameCube's controller. At face value, the 360's controller appears to be laid-out just like the XBox "S" controller. Are there any additional buttons which make this controller any more complicated that the previous generation's game pad (aside from that XBL button)? If not, I don't understand what the problem is. It sounds more like an excuse for Microsoft to play the game of "follow the leader" (Nintendo) so they don't appear to lack features when compared to the Wii (and on a lesser extent - the PS3) controllers.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 07:03:55 AM »
I think we're jumping the gun in assuming Microsoft is ripping off Nintendo.  They very well could be ripping off Sony who is ripping off Nintendo.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 07:38:09 AM »
um, wasn't he the one that said that he had a great time playing PGR3 with his daughter (and that she didn't find the controls complicated) when the X360 launched?

Ian: transitive propiety
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »
Actually in this scenario the transitive property would probably work MS favor.  They had a control out that did the motion tilt sensing and all.  Before it was incorporated into any console controller.  Bill is the face of MS but he doesn't make all the decisions.  He just can't that be to much for one man. Yes, I'm fairly sure there is only one.  That being said and everything I couldn't really see MS going for tilt but, I could see them releasing a more children freindly and less complicated controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 08:06:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Yes, I'm fairly sure there is only one.

Please.  If there's only one, why are they called Gates?

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 08:14:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I couldn't really see MS going for tilt

I could see Microsoft releasing a redesigned XBox 360 controller which includes tilt if only to appease developers wanting to port PS3 games over to the 360 which would incorporate that element of control into the game. It would benefit MS to have the technology available in the controller so developers wouldn't have to find a clumsy, but functional "work around" when porting the title over to the 360 or risk not receiving a port at all (which could potentially persuade gamers to invest in a PS3 if a popular tilt-sensing title is PS3 exclusive and the only thing keeping it from appearing on the XBox 360 is the lack of that feature in their controller).  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 08:23:08 AM »
No.  I see that being a stealthy accessory.  If there is enough developers that want it then it's going to be made.  But it's not something there going to make a big deal over.  There going say something like "This has become the New Price of entry in this generation and Microsoft as a progressive company will support this new innovative technology like Microsoft support many new innovations in the world today."  Yes they will make the controller.  No I don't think they'll make it standard.  It will one of those accessory there for who wants it.  I still say that they are going to release a simplier more ergonomic main controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 10:29:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq
Here's a question...

I've yet to play a 360. I've seen the demo kiosks, but I've never been interested enough to want to try it (though I'm pretty sure I'll end up owning one at some point in 2007, to complement my Wii). With that said, I do own the first XBox and I find the controller laid out similarly to the GameCube's controller. At face value, the 360's controller appears to be laid-out just like the XBox "S" controller. Are there any additional buttons which make this controller any more complicated that the previous generation's game pad (aside from that XBL button)? If not, I don't understand what the problem is. It sounds more like an excuse for Microsoft to play the game of "follow the leader" (Nintendo) so they don't appear to lack features when compared to the Wii (and on a lesser extent - the PS3) controllers.

They have extra shoulder buttons as well as triggers (make for a total of 4 finger (not thumb) buttons).

Plus, I think they still have the black and white buttons (WTF for, I don't know).
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 03:51:34 PM »
I think this whole situation is more flattering than anything else. Nintendo has shown the world that there is a new way to play video games and naturally everyone is hopping on board because the industry is stirring, confirming everything Nintendo has been preaching since the concept of the Wii was revealed. The bottom line is this, no one will be able to truly replicate what Nintendo has done for a few years at best. Nintendo has spent a long time designing the perfect controller for this type of play and no quick hack from Sony or MS is going to top what Nintendo has done.

As for the XBOX 360 controller, it has the same number of buttons as the old controller(excluding the big Home button in the middle). They essentially made the Black and White buttons into a second set of triggers at the top of the controller.
Check out PixlBit!