Author Topic: PGC Announces DS Lite Contest  (Read 14546 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
PGC Announces DS Lite Contest
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:03:25 AM »
Use your head, win a handheld. UPDATE: The contest is now over.

We've all seen the DS Lite. It's sexy, and according to Jonny's review, it's  an awesome piece  of hardware, too. Thanks to our partners at Lik-Sang,  we'll be able to give one lucky reader out there one of these super-sleek  wonder-units. The premise is simple: all you've got to do is write an  explanation (100 words or less) of an alternative use for the DS Lite. The  flashlight for a miner's hat; a really expensive paperweight; even using its  ultra-thin shell for cutting fruit in half, samurai-style! We're looking for  the most creative ideas, not the best writing (thus the word limit), though  being clear, concise, and funny can't hurt.  You may want to check our DS  Lite hardware profile to look at the system and read about its features, to  help you find ideas for your entry. The rules are as follows:    

• Must be 100 words or less.  
  • One entry per person.  
  • Idea must be family-friendly.  
  • Include your real name, plus a screenname if desired (in case you win),  and make sure you email us from an address we can reach you at in the next  couple of weeks.  
  • This contest is open to our readers worldwide.  
  • Employees of Planet GameCube and Lik-Sang are ineligible.  Winners of  the PGC 7th Birthday Bash contest are also ineligible.  
  • By entering the contest, you grant Planet GameCube permission to post  your entry and name (or screenname) online.    

As long as you meet those minimal standards, you're in! The contest starts  today, April 29th, 2006, and ends Sunday, May 14th, at 12 Noon, Eastern  Time. The contest is open to readers worldwide. Simply send your ideas in to  contest@planetgamecube.com.  One winner will be chosen by the Planet GameCube staff to win a DS Lite in  the color of your choice.    

On behalf of the entire PGC staff and the future winner of this awesome  contest, we'd like to thank Lik-Sang for donating such a fantastic prize.  They have all three colors of the Lite in stock, in case you don't win the  contest.  They have also provide a discount code for PGC readers:  LS-7DA093455B gets you $5 off most orders (except systems) of at least $40.  Can be used once per account unti the end of May.  Now get to writing!

• I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    RE: PGC Announces DS Lite Contest
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:39:44 AM »
    Hahaha, cool idea for a contest.
    No second place?  Hmm.

I already have an idea that I really like.  I doubt I'll think of something better, but I'm going to mull over it a little longer just in case.
    HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
    YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • Score: 32
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »
    I would enter the contest if Lik-Sang had black DSl's.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
      • View Profile
    RE:PGC Announces DS Lite Contest
    « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 06:35:32 PM »
    I want black too
    "I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
    ---------------------------------------------
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    ----------------------------
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 07:47:50 PM »
    "Family-friendly"?

Despite the innuendo-laden "Touching Is Good" slogan, I fail to see how anyone could come up with something NOT family-friendly.

Offline NotRimmer

• Score: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »
    Can we write about multiple alternative uses, provided they're all related and within the same framework?
    Hey guys what's going on in this forum?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
    • Score: 25
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:16:49 PM »
    One question: Can we submit pictures as optional content?

I the focus is on the writing, but what I mean is if to further enhance the idea we could include a small pic.
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline NotRimmer

• Score: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 07:07:14 AM »
    Sure is nice of PGC to ignore questions about its contest
    Hey guys what's going on in this forum?

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
      • View Profile
      • TM!
    « Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 07:23:29 AM »

Originally posted by: NotRimmer
    Can we write about multiple alternative uses, provided they're all related and within the same framework?

I want to know as well, although it does say "an alternative", so I believe it must be only one....
    Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
    JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
    Best. Quote. Ever. XD

• Staff Clone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
    Yes to NotRimmer, no to Pap.
    I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 10:17:39 PM »
    One question. I am having a bit of trouble with the 100 word limit. Can I shorten the DS Lite name to DSL?

See what I did is that I wrote DS Lite at the beginning of the summary, then used DSL aftewards. Can I do that?
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

• Staff Clone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »
    DSL is fine.
    I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 37
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 11:49:28 AM »
    If you're hitting the word limit, you're probably writing too much.  Does your idea really take that many words to explain?
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 09:20:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
    If you're hitting the word limit, you're probably writing too much.  Does your idea really take that many words to explain?

Believe me, I've been working on this all week long. The reason I need to write this much is because I want the idea to be ambitious and funny. I feel a little more detail adds punch to the overall idea.

One last question, does the title of the idea count as part of the 100 word limit?

Like...

The DS Lite: Kitchen knife
    Etc. etc. etc.

I think the 100 word limit only counts in the paragraph itself, but does the limit also apply to the title?

I already gave a title to my idea, but I don't want it to exceed the 100 word limit.
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

• Staff Clone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 11:30:18 AM »
    Doesn't apply to the title. It's all good. Heh, if it goes a couple words over 100, I won't discount it.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 11:57:39 AM »
    How did I miss this? I have to give it a try.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: 98
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 02:08:53 PM »
    I plan on submitting an entry, and while discussing it with my wife, after expressing my disapointment with not winning the First to Play contest, she came up with an idea that she says she wants to enter.  Now, while her idea is amusing, I don't think it will win, thus I still want to enter my idea as well... So, can there be multiple entries from the same household?
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• Staff Clone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 03:19:17 PM »
    UncleBob, you're a respectable member of the forums and if you can trust the community member enough to showcase your phone number, I trust you enough to believe that your wife wants to send in an entry. Have her send it through her own email address, though.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 03:27:32 PM »
    Cool.  She probably won't now.  When we first discussed it, I didn't really mention my idea.  After she read mine, she really liked it (espically the first step) and ackowledged that mine was better.

But I might have her submit her's anyway.  It's short, sweet, to the point and would be amusing to see.

Thanks for the kind words, btw.
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
    • Score: 12
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 08:53:28 PM »
    You got mine already, hope you'd liked it
    Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
    • Score: 8
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 01:09:53 PM »
    You got mine too... Regardless of whether I win or not, I had fun writing it up

I was just wondering: Will you post an assortment of the best ones? I'd be curious to see what other people came up with.
    Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

• Staff Clone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 01:56:26 PM »
    The entries right now number in the hundreds. @_@

Heh, I'll see what I can do once the contest has been over and E3 settles down, but at the moment, I'm more focused on just finding a winner.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 02:09:16 PM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
    The entries right now number in the hundreds. @_@

Heh, I'll see what I can do once the contest has been over and E3 settles down, but at the moment, I'm more focused on just finding a winner.

Crap! This seriously kills my potential...I really, really like my idea and I think it will make a lot of people smile, but might not be crazy enough to be a winner... :_(

I already sent mine, BTW. I REALLY hope you like it .
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 07:43:22 PM »
    While I'm likely not going to win, I'm wondering... about how many entries have you gotten?

This contest set a record yet?

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
    • Score: 8
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 08:07:13 PM »
    Yeah... I, um, kinda wish they'd stop reminding people about it :P
    Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)